Help › Forums

driving into heavy wind

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 18 2011 12:18 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:25 PM

where's the best location for the dot on the ball when yer driving into a heavy wind to get max distance? thnks :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:37 PM

All the way down. The theory is the back spin provides lift for longer flight. Top spin will push the ball down faster.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:04 PM

I do the opposite of YJ.  The dot all the way up.  Lower trajectory keeps it in the wind a shorter amount of time, and more roll (esp. on STA).  Actually true top spin, like an Andy Pettite curve ball or Federer top spin forehand, will push the ball down.  But the only way to do that with a golf ball and club is "blade" it.  Top spin on this game is really "less spin".

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:29 PM

andyson:

I do the opposite of YJ.  The dot all the way up.  Lower trajectory keeps it in the wind a shorter amount of time, and more roll (esp. on STA).  Actually true top spin, like an Andy Pettite curve ball or Federer top spin forehand, will push the ball down.  But the only way to do that with a golf ball and club is "blade" it.  Top spin on this game is really "less spin".

What he said :).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:41 PM

Interesting discussion about it here. Some heavyweights weighing in on the subject.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:52 PM

YankeeJim:

Interesting discussion about it here. Some heavyweights weighing in on the subject.

I've read that thread and all it did was confirm that a topspin is good for boring into a heavy headwind. There are many different ways people go about playing the game. I personally do not feel right hitting a high trajectory shot into a 31mph headwind... I will however put full back on anything upto 15mph on holes with a realtively smooth fway

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 5:03 PM

mohuyu:
    I will however put full back on anything upto 15mph on holes with a realtively smooth fway

I've been playing around with top spin at SA in certain winds like that. The reverse angle seems to show a really big bounce when you do so if you can catch the backside of a slope you get a huge hit and roll.

• TheFigster
    47 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 7:09 AM

If they offered a driving range for practice.. this would be easy to determine.. we could set up for heavy winds and hit several shots with back spin, several with no spin, and several with top spin and get the yardages.. As you rarely get the same shot twice with the same clubs into the same winds .. and never back to back.. it makes it very difficult to determine.

However, I do know from a golf video.. head winds or side winds.. a lower trajectory is going to increase control.. and prevent the ball from "stalling" in a head wind.. still not desired if you are shooting to a higher elevation though...

• GambitMaia
    93 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:56 AM

Rule of thumb: backspin flies more and frontspin rolls more. It means backspin shots are more vulnerable to the wind and land further, while frontspins are more 'wind-resistant' and land shorter.

It means you use frontspin with any wind other than tailwinds in wide fairways (careful! It can roll its way to the rough) and backspin with any wind in doglegs (BPB, namely - you can cut some more corner and eliminate the risk of it rolling to the rough) and tailwinds (the ball stays longer in the air = goes further)

I hope this helps.

• TheFigster
    47 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 1:52 PM

yup, just did some searches and every expert out there says the same thing.. when hitting into the wind a low trajectory is best. So top spin on the ball.. when not on the drive.. it is even better to go up TWO clubs and choke back on it for a lower loft.. 

• PAGES
RSS