Forums

Help › Forums

Moved up to Master Tier!!

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:55 AM (5 replies)
  • nowhammies
    288 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 3:42 PM

I just want to say I'm happy I finally made it to Master Tier!  I joined WGT in 2009, only played a few times.  Started playing again in Jan 2011.  Some time in 2010 I was promoted to Tour Pro without even playing.  I have tried very hard to move up unlike most people on here.  What the sandbaggers need to realize is that most of these holes are designed to be played from further back than the white tees as far as the landing areas in the fairways are concerned.  Yes you will have a little longer shot into green but at least those shots will be hit from the fairway instead of the rough.  My first round from the Master tee boxes I played St Andrews with high winds, very fast greens and shot 30 on front 9 and it could have been 3 strokes lower had I not missed 3 birdies by inches.  Can't wait to get to tour master, if you are a master and you see my avg at 60 don't worry I'm not that good, just had a very good first 9 holes as a Master!

• Franchise34
    1 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:53 PM

I just made it to Master level and for some reason, the game has become very difficult. I've really started to lose interest in the game b/c its not fun anymore. I have the longest clubs, high spin Callaway balls and I can't stick a green to save my life.  I had a 66 average before moving to Master, now I have a 74 average.  What gives? Am I missing something? How does everyone score so well? Putting has become more difficult, too, at the Master level. I don't get it.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Feb 10 2011 9:31 PM

It took me 3 months to get back to my old average after becoming a Master. The game is much more enjoyable now though. Just keep practising and you'll get there.Joining a good country club helped me too.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:20 AM

Franchise34:
    I had a 66 average before moving to Master, now I have a 74 average.  What gives? Am I missing something?

Yes, Franchise, I think you are. The green speed applies to more than putting. Your comment about not being able to stick greens leads me to believe you used to be able to. Well, sticking greens that are Slow, Med or Fast is much easier than on the faster greens you have to deal with now. Just because you spin a ball doesn't mean it gets diesel air brakes. Your new default green speed is where you need to focus because it's affecting your approaches. Longer irons into faster (harder) greens will drive you nuts until you figure them out. You'll get it.  GL

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:41 AM

Erm? Green speed doesn't alter between Tour Pro and Master.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:55 AM

piztaker:

Erm? Green speed doesn't alter between Tour Pro and Master.

You sure? I do believe it does, Piz. At least it did back when I made the change. I thought Tour Pros got Fast, Masters got Very Fast and Tour Masters got Tournament. The WGT stimpmeter supports this too.  

RSS