Forums

Help › Forums

Wishy Washy Green Speed

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 7 2011 12:45 PM (3 replies)
  • Headway
    44 Posts
    Mon, Feb 7 2011 11:20 AM

Okay I know I am tough with critique. I wonder how green speed is controlled?

When your sitting there with your cup of coffee lining out the next tourny do you say "Lets make Tourny speed a click lower or higher"? and then laugh and laugh LOL. It's beyond me how some days the ball rolls and rolls and some days you have to really wrap it a good one to get it there? on the same type green speed. I still think more attention needs to payed to this area. And yes for you out there that are thinking...."look at the slope, rise, fall, break, etc..etc..I know how to play golf  in the real world and read greens. I know many others have green issues as well and I just wondered how these are controlled. Maybe an indicator that lists "Tournament Fast" or "Tournament Slow" or just use "Slow, Fast or Very Fast "  and just remove all other lingo??? Just a thought

Thank you for the great game.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Feb 7 2011 11:38 AM

It has happened more often recently but I think it's great. Just like real golf you don't get the hang of the green speed on a course until you've hit one or two.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Mon, Feb 7 2011 12:35 PM

Played Yankee Jim in a game yesterday and we felt the tournament speed greens were similar to very fast.

I'd like to do away with standard greens, I have no idea what to do with those. I think they play the same as slow.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Feb 7 2011 12:45 PM

I'm not sure how others calculate how far to hit a putt on certain green speeds but by my calculations all the courses seem to be really close to the same speed whether it be VF, Tournament, Champion.

10 ft flat putt on very fast should be hit at 8

10 ft flat putt on Tournament should be hit at 7.

50 ft on VF hit 42

50 ft on Tourn hit 39

I've never changed my putting calculations from course to course and have never really noticed them being that much different.

RSS