Forums

Help › Forums

what is wrong with my clubs/balls?

Tue, Feb 8 2011 11:25 AM (38 replies)
  • darrenpaulLMB
    180 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 3:27 PM

I recently advanced to tour pro and level 53.

I use the 2010 rapture V2 graphite irons, the tour w 54 and 60 wedge and the WGT tour-SD balls.

recently I have been having the worst rounds since I started playing this game and I have no idea why, but my iron shots aren't going as far as they should be or used to be.

for example, I have a 160yrd approach shot which should need a 6 iron which will hit 170yrds (so it says) with no backspin, a 3mph tail wind and almost using the full swing meter, the ball goes up and comes down very quickly, resulting in a 115yrd shot.

I have never had this problem before and it is so annoying, I have also noticed that shots using my wedges from the rough sometimes just go a few yards and stay stuck in the rough.

can anyone help please?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 4:36 PM

hi.

it's hard to judge but few questions: 1. were you in a fairway? 2. what hole was it? 3. did you end up in the rough?

-wgticon

• trsix
    43 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:05 PM

i liked those sd balls

when i switched to these it REALLY went downhill!

WGT B-ES Balls

Starting at 10 credits

• trsix
    43 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:06 PM

WGT B-ES Balls

Starting at 10 credits

if you want your game to go sout buy some of these

• darrenpaulLMB
    180 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:16 PM

Hi there

thanks for your reply.

I have noticed this problem with iron shots off the tee and from the fairway on several courses, but only since I advanced to tour pro.

as for shots from the rough falling short, I have noticed this from the first time I played the game, playing either a pitch or chip shot with a club that says it will hit the ball 15 yards or so where in fact the ball only travels 2 yards, I have no idea why this is.

thanks, Paul.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:21 PM

darrenpaulLMB:
    can anyone help please?

Yeap, you have done it to yourself and are not the first person to do it either. Here is what you have done

1. Played most of your rounds on Kiawah and Saint Andrews.

2. Advanced very quickly and now at the higher levels are paying the price. Go look at your Sand and Scramblings %'s

The Cure: Do not worry about your average but rather your putting, sand and scrambling percentages. You have to worry about your short game to fix this problem. You need to play BP Black and Oakmont equally and get those %'s up above 50%. Then your game will come to you. Do not feel bad, seems like every week someone has done what you have done. A great player on here once told me that the top players rarely make a bogey.....I thought early on this is because they got close to the pin every time, later I learned by looking at their stats that the average scrambling % was above 75% as was their sand %. The short game and putting are where it's at!

• darrenpaulLMB
    180 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:36 PM

why does it matter that I have played most of my rounds rounds on Kiawah and Saint Andrews? I do play on bethpage black and oakmont quite a lot too.

also why does it matter that I have advanced quickly? my iron shots don't go as far as they did before I advanced to tour pro. for example, my 7 iron says it will hit the ball 155 yards, but i can guarantee that it won't hit that distance from either the fairway or the tee, whereas before it would, the same goes for all my irons.

it isn't that I am doing anything different, I am also using the same clubs and balls I have been using for quite some time, now all of a sudden my iron shots just don't go as far as they did before, what could be causing this?

thanks for your help.

Paul

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:38 PM

And one more thing... wierd things happen at Oakmont.  Bunker shots and shots from rough don't go anywhere near as far as they do on the other courses.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 5:52 PM

You might find the game gets harder to play when you get better. You start to lose the forgiveness you had on your shots until you get used to it, then you start to play better. It's like a rollercoaster ride... you will have a few really good rounds, then your Ave. will start to go down, the forgiveness in the shots you had wont be there as much as before. Then you're going to have a few bad rounds until you get used to it and the ride will start again.

gl

Roger

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2011 8:13 PM

And the longer hitting clubs cause you to spend more time in the rough, so there are no easy cures.

RSS