Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews' 1st hole

Sat, Feb 5 2011 9:25 PM (59 replies)
  • PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:21 PM

I am going to play STA 18 with the free clubs and starter balls off the easy tees later and see what I score.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:29 PM

Blimey, the meter is slow LOL

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:58 PM

Switz - I would have to disagree with your course management for playing St A #1 with the pin at the front.  Don't know whether you're a real golfer or not, but I am and I would say you drive down the left.  Why?  Because then with your 2nd shot you will be going over more green before getting to the flag and therefore more chance of getting it close and less chance of going into the burn.  This applies most especially to Starter clubs and freebie balls, but I still employ this strategy even with better clubs and balls.

I played with Starter clubs and freebie balls right up until 1 day before I became Master.  And I could regularly birdie that hole with the pin at the front.  If little wind or side wind and with full backspin, the ball will stop within about 4-5yds, hence the need to be down the left with the drive so you have more green to play with.  If it is down wind, then a little more difficult to get very close, but no reason why you still shouldn't get it within 10-15ft.  But you do have the option to pitch a little shorter to allow for the run; not so if you play down the right side.  And the green there is so flat you could knock it in with your eyes closed.  Well, not literally with the eyes closed because you won't see the meter, but you know what I mean.  Into wind it's an absolute doddle - you can pitch the ball next to the hole and it will stop.

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:01 PM

Sounds like a plan mate. :)  Let me know how you fared.  I'm in the middle of a STA round too with a supper break interruption and just got my first Hacker's Eagle on #5.  This time I remembered to 'save' the replay but I'm sure it's the Only one I'll ever see. :)

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:06 PM

Did the front 9 in the end. Not really a fun experience to be fair. Posted a 2 over 38. 

TBF it-s a bit like playing with the old 7I and putter they give you on a 9 hole pitch and putt course. LOL

What can be concluded. If you don't want to spend money on credits then its a tough long climb. But you need to practice and practice and use those credits from moving up tiers to get the best clubs available for the buck. Plus, you need to keep an eye out for surveys when they appear. It is possible and many on here have done it. It will take ages though.

Personally, I would practice a bit and then invest about 30 dollars getting some good equipment. Either that, or not play. Thats WGT, and for one I am quite happy with it. No use moaning about it if it is not to your liking.

It-s not much fun with the beginners equipment and balls and I am now going back to my full suite of paid for clubs. 

Happy hitting.

• Switz71
    278 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:15 PM

Mio, for starters I'm not on a "real" course, I'm here lol

With it being a direct headwind, I played my drive to leave a direct headwind. I would much rather have that on my approach, than a crosswind anyday. Don't know of to many "virtual" golfers out there, that wouldn't want a 1ft birdie putt but feel free to disagree lol

On here, I attack every flag directly. I knew with the yardage and headwind, I could land that ball on the green and have it roll up nicely. Even on trny greens it's a birdie hole 8 out of 10, the putt from the right side is gravy.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:20 PM

In my 2 Over I birdied the 1st BTW.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:31 PM

Switz71:

Mio, for starters I'm not on a "real" course, I'm here lol

With it being a direct headwind, I played my drive to leave a direct headwind. I would much rather have that on my approach, than a crosswind anyday. Don't know of to many "virtual" golfers out there, that wouldn't want a 1ft birdie putt but feel free to disagree lol

Real course or virtual course, course management still plays a part.  And I did say that into wind it's easy to stop the ball. So, in this particular situation it worked.  But with good course management i.e. driving down the left, you can hit a good approach shot whatever the wind.

• Switz71
    278 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 6:56 PM

It's obvious you play it the way you like,I play it the way I like. I know (if everything goes to plan) exactly where my wedges hit and how much roll I "should" get. So when I land the ball directly in front of pin, I have a much better chance at eagle or tap in bird. You have 7-8 yards to work with straight on, which in my opinion is more than enough to work with here in the "virtual" world. The putt is from either the right or left has minimal break and is definitely makeable. For me coming from directly underneath, it has none and is birdied 8 out of 10 even, on tourny greens.

I believe Angeltotti has said.... if you try something that doesn't work, try something different next time. If you try something that works, remember it and keep doing the same thing for that hole. 

Works for me :)

Besides goin left for me usually has my ball in the drink. If I play to left center of fairway it only gives me 2-3 extra yards of wiggleroom. Perhaps I'm just to lazy to move the marker but in general, the middle of any fairway "for me" is a good place to be.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Jan 27 2011 5:21 AM

I haven't read every page of this topic but Oldstir can go to the Pro Shop and rent the Starter Set of clubs for 15 credits. That way he can see if they are worth spending the 99 credits.

Just a thought.

RSS