Help › Forums

New Legend Driver

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:09 PM (70 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 9:36 PM

SweetiePie:

I don't need more driver or better irons or any more wedges or balls. The one thing that is of interest, helpful or not, is the Ghost putter, and it will take months to be able to buy it and so I will decline...it's now or never Baby. It's like my Rolex...which I never wear.

The Ghost Putter is not all it's cracked up to be.  I rented it for a day and was not impressed enought to buy it.  The extra meter speed along with the crappy unstable meter makes it hard to ding on any putt over 15 feet.  However, if you can ding it, it does make it more precise around the hole and you'll have less lip outs than with the Rossa.  The new R9 legend driver is a little deceptive when you look at the specs.  The meter speed is actually slower than the Super Tri, however the drives really don't travel that much further than the Tri. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 9:50 PM

Richard4168:
    the current Legend players will enjoy driver/wedge like the days of old once they level-up to obtain the new driver.

Richard,

Get a clue my man.  That's not what we're asking for at all.  What Legends want is equipment that performs better than most TMs have.  I don't want to play driver/ wedge anymore.  It's fun for a change of pace but I like the challenge of the back tees and tourney greens.

Personally I don't want a new driver.  I want TMs old Master equipment locked until they progress to Legend while WGT gifts (for free)slightly less advanced equipment to TMs and Masters.  That will never happen for legal reasons but this is the system that WGT created by allowing you to keep your equipment, so the only fair solution is to improve ours.

What I don't like is that YOU get to play driver/ wedge golf and frequently point out that it's not ok for others.  You likely won't ever have to worry about the woes of a Legend, as frankly you're just not that proficient at the game.  If you think it's fair that you get to use the same equipment as I do then you truly are a lost cause and any scrap of credibility you may possess is right out the window.

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:05 PM

Richard4168:
    the current Legend players will enjoy driver/wedge like the days of old once they level-up to obtain the new driver.

I have the new driver, there is really not a big difference between that and the Super-Tri....The only course that that you'll be playing driver/wedge is STA, which is a very short course.  Bethpage and Kiawah still plays very long with the New Legend Driver.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:06 PM

jakestanfill7:
    Richard4168:

Driver/ wedge with the new driver.  Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  No such luck.  I too like the challenge and what WGT is doing in mixing up the tees.  It provides more entertainment, and for us old-timers makes us strive harder.  Well, for me it does.  There is lots in store for us as time progesses IMO.  I for one look forward to each an every update.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:34 AM

ironking34:

The Ghost Putter is not all it's cracked up to be.  I rented it for a day and was not impressed enought to buy it.  The extra meter speed along with the crappy unstable meter makes it hard to ding on any putt over 15 feet.  However, if you can ding it, it does make it more precise around the hole and you'll have less lip outs than with the Rossa.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. On initial use I was very impressed with it. The first night I used it I holed 4 putts in excess of 40 feet, a rarity for me. However yesterday I used it for the whole day and found it nigh on impossible to build up a rhythm whereby I hit the ding more often than not. Even on the short ones I was struggling to do so.

Without doubt it is a very very accurate but that is no consolation to me if I cannot ding the meter.

As for the driver.....precious little to be gained in buying it if you use i15s. Better to stick with the Super Tri, which matches the meter speed of the irons.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:52 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Personally I don't want a new driver.  I want TMs old Master equipment locked until they progress to Legend while WGT gifts (for free)slightly less advanced equipment to TMs and Masters. 

This is going to be difficult now that our averages are frozen. It's going to be a long time before I ever make it to the Legend tier. It's not that I don't want to, WGT has made it impossible for the Tour Master to do so. Remember, I didn't ask for this no more then the next member did. It seems WGT is throwing ideas at the wall and are implementing what sticks. Not a very good business model if you ask me.

jakestanfill7:
    What I don't like is that YOU get to play driver/ wedge golf and frequently point out that it's not ok for others. 

This just isn't so. I'm not playing driver wedge golf at all. Sure there's a few (a few) holes on Kiawah that are driver/wedge, but then I have to make the putt. That's a 50/50 shot for me. 

jakestanfill7:
    If you think it's fair that you get to use the same equipment as I do then you truly are a lost cause and any scrap of credibility you may possess is right out the window.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth Jake. That's not how I feel at all. I've mentioned many times how this idea is lopsided, and simply doesn't make sense. A Legend player should be just that, but at the mean time WGT seems to be in the dark about what to do with this issue.

Jake, if I had clubs that were inferior to yours, wouldn't that make an unfair advantage for members in other tiers, playing MPC's? Wouldn't Legends start taking credits from every other member in MPC? I think there's more to this then just giving a Legend player the equipment edge.

The simple solution is for WGT to stop all wagering, and multi-player challenges for credits altogether. It's quite meaningless anyway, right?

P.S. JB, I feel sorry for you. I hope you can find solace with this game.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:54 AM

Infinito3010:
    I too like the challenge and what WGT is doing in mixing up the tees.  It provides more entertainment, and for us old-timers makes us strive harder. 

Why aren't other Legend players feeling this way?

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:59 AM

Richard4168:

Infinito3010:
    I too like the challenge and what WGT is doing in mixing up the tees.  It provides more entertainment, and for us old-timers makes us strive harder. 

Why aren't other Legend players feeling this way?

FWIW... I feel this way too... I'm just sayin'

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 7:12 AM

Richard4168:
    Jake, if I had clubs that were inferior to yours, wouldn't that make an unfair advantage for members in other tiers, playing MPC's? Wouldn't Legends start taking credits from every other member in MPC? I think there's more to this then just giving a Legend player the equipment edge.

Let's think this through Richard.  I recently played a TM with average .03 higher than mine on Kiawah back so obviously he has skill.  Average distance to the hole was 37.4 yards longer for me than him. 

Many holes he has less than 8iron into the green and can stop the ball on a dime even on tourney greens.  I have a choked down 5iron in hand making approaches while he's hitting 8 (37.5yds = 2.5 clubs) and can fly directly at hole.  Taking some off a long or mid iron makes the ball run out like crazy where if he is in between clubs with a short iron the ball may roll out 3 yds depending on the green and conditions.

If said TM has equipment that doesn't spin quite as well and travels maybe 5 yds less per club then we are playing on a very level playing field.  His 8 would react more like a 7 making it just a TOUCH tougher to fire right at the hole.

Other solution IMO, is to make a Legend ball that provides a benefit.  The new balls are a complete joke!  If we had a ball that ACTUALLY went 7-8 yards farther but had twice the spin of the current Legend ball things would be closer to copacetic .

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 9:43 AM

I will continue to beat this drum until WGT either gets a clue or I run out of credits. Some people here feel the need to defend a position which has no defense. If I come off pissed off, oh well, quite frankly I am pissed off. Legends are not bitching about playing the back tees (it's fun & hard) we are pissed off about the ridiculous inequities for earning credits though a level playing field. I mostly play mpc, this arena has been turned into a farce. For the most part I enjoy trying to beat people playing from shorter tees, but when you get a player who is obviously working the system it gets a little laughable. Richard, I'm not angry with you in anyway, just want to know where your opinions are drawn from? Oh, I used to play ready goes, but now you have to beat numerous players with a HUGE advantage before the first ball is even struck lol. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds. Peace, JB

RSS