Forums

Help › Forums

New Legend Driver

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:09 PM (70 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:56 AM

Decent idea, Ace, but WGT swears up and down they will never change the club attributes. That would have to happen for your scenario to work, I think.

On a related note about the drivers available the new R9 appears to lessen some of the pain. I can only play the tips by invite from a Legend so I haven't seen every place you need that length but I did run into a situation on BPB 12 that surprised my Legend op. I was able to carry the bunker into a 21 mph wind @ 5 with it. Unfortunately that doesn't help until you get to level 80.

FWIW I was still 235 out  and not getting on in 2 anyway. I will say Legends do have it tough with some of those distances. 

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 7:29 AM

YankeeJim:

Decent idea, Ace, but WGT swears up and down they will never change the club attributes. That would have to happen for your scenario to work, I think.

On a related note about the drivers available the new R9 appears to lessen some of the pain. I can only play the tips by invite from a Legend so I haven't seen every place you need that length but I did run into a situation on BPB 12 that surprised my Legend op. I was able to carry the bunker into a 21 mph wind @ 5 with it. Unfortunately that doesn't help until you get to level 80.

FWIW I was still 235 out  and not getting on in 2 anyway. I will say Legends do have it tough with some of those distances. 

That op would be me, Jim always says he wants to know if his 4 wedges and no 3 wood will work from the tips and on 12 at BP I thought I would show him since I can't carry the bunker.  He cleared it into a 20+ wind but still had 230 into the green.  Someone else want to try and convince him to add a 3 wood?

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 7:47 AM

TheAceFactor:

Stay with me here for a min. people...I recently watched the "Wendy's 3 Tour Challenge"  as I'm sure some of you did as well, but for those who are not familiar with it , 3 LPGA , 3 PGA , and 3 Champions tour players played 18 holes in a best ball type format. The reason I bring this up in this thread is that the tournament set up was (IMO) as equal as you could possibly get. At the tour level as far as equipment is concerned all things being equal , meaning all 9 bags were top of the line. Examples , and then to the point. Although the ladies par 3's were lets say 155 and the men 182 , they  were all pulling the same club from the bag. Another is an approach where Dustin Johnson hit a 250 yard 5 wood to 6 ft. Same hole , Suzann Pettersen has 223 to the hole , pulls 3 wood , ends up about 15 yards long, so she could have in reality hit the 5w and probably ran it on. If Dustin and Suzann traded Drivers, he's still gonna' hit it 335 or so and she 280 or so, so the equality here is tee placement AND physical strength. At WGT , my finger is as strong as Jakes , so my idea is a strength based system NOT based on gender, but by tier. Hacks would have a range , pro's would have a range , and so on. We all keep our tee box and equipment , but legends won't be getting blown by off the tee by a lower tier, or hitting  3 iron in against a 9 iron. You would increase your range as you advanced in tier, and if lower tiers wanted to take advantage of better precision, more spin,etc. I think they would still purchase / upgrade equipment, so I see no loss in sales at  the pro-shop and a much more level field. Anyway, at the very least I've given you something to throw around for a day or two. 

Ace

You are absolutely right. That is the way it should be and somewhat the way it was. Before,  you did have to achieve a certain tier to access a new product. The issue now is that to achieve revenue on a cash flow basis requires more purchases more often for more players. Before, when you got to the Master tier, you would buy your clubs and then just buys balls. Under the currrent business paradigm there is more opportunity and more incentive for people (not Legends) to play as often as possible. It takes more $ now to achieve a level to access quality equipment. That was the whole point of the change.

If we are talking about the closest simulation to real golf then your point should be applied. The clubs should be the same but the distances different based on tier. That is how it is in real life. You can buy the same driver as a PGA tour pro but you can't buy the talent and distance. For example if we compare our (WGT) distances( by club) to the PGA tour average (by club) you can see the disparity. 

Ever wonder why  it takes so long for a Tour Master to move to the Legend level ? They will play less.

I expect that in the not to distant future a new set of Legend clubs will be offered at a high point level and they will not be cheap.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:38 PM

The only problem with what Ace and Rusty say is that it makes too much sense.  Where in the real world does every golfer have the same ability to hit their driver the same distance?  This is just not realistic and the reason for women and seniors playing from closer tee boxes.  WGT prides it self on realism but totally misses the boat in this aspect.  If you want to be realistic, let players achieve attribute points (nothing extreme) which would allow two player using the exact same driver to have differing ability in area such as driving distance.  Plain and simple, hacks should not be able to hit the ball as far as legends, achieve either by limiting certain clubs to certain tiers or by limiting a players ability.  Again, this is the reason for tee boxes varying in distance.   This is something that has been said over and over, but NEVER responded to by WGT staff.  I can buy the exact driver Tiger uses, but that doesn't mean i can hit it equally as far as he can...not even close....see, I'm a hack in real life! 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 9:12 PM

Here is a real stickler for you.  Does equipment make a difference in a real golf.  It certainly does.  Is a novice going to spend $3000 on equipment? I don't think so.  He / she will most likely buy a starter set costing couple of hundred dollars.  Depending on how well that individual progresses they will buy better and better equipment.  Similar to the model that WGT has. 

I understand what you are saying, but I did not start out spending $1000 for a driver.  Over a period of years and lots of rounds is when I decided I wanted to buy a set of clubs that match my desire and proficiency. Just my two cents worth. 

Shade

• TarheelsRule
    5,487 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 11:13 AM

I have to disagree a little.  Equipment does make a difference in real golf, however it is available to everyone for the same price no matter how good or bad they are.  Many people taking up golf, esp adults do go in and equip up with the best stuff as soon as they start playing.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:18 PM

I agree, to a certain extent. Less than 2% of all golfers could hit a tour stiff driver, so why should the very best equipment be available to all here? I know we are splitting hairs, but if this truly is the most realistic golf sim on the net, well you know......  JB

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:24 PM

How about these sets of equipment, unlocked at level 80, but only if youre a LEGEND. It might give the tour masters insentive to progress and fairer for us legends to compete.

295 yard driver(with meter like r9 tri,half a notch less forgiving)....240 yard wood....

223/120 yard irons.....115 yard wedge......All these unlocked after level 80, ONLY if you're legends. 

And before tour masters start shouting "uuugggg this is not Fair",

a) Doubt WGT will ever make it happen.

b) It only gives us 10 or so extra yards (enough to get us from 3i to 5i on certain holes)

c) Progress to LEGEND tier and they'll be there for you (if point a) is overturned)

• Yakublue
    125 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 1:20 PM
    It isn't real golf. It's a toy. The Yak
  • Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 1:36 PM

Real golf does not produce much tomatoes or bacon either. Most people playing "real" golf does it for the same reasons as we do here - to have fun and to improve their game.

So what is really the difference? Is working at an office with a computer "just a toy" as well? Compared to driving a truck...

RSS