Forums

Help › Forums

Scott's tips

Wed, Feb 21 2024 6:30 AM (745 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jan 14 2023 1:51 PM

PureGro1:
    The terms are interchangeable, Usually meaning 1 shot from tee to cup...with CTTH you only get one shot - if it goes in they call it an Ace. What else would they call it in that formats conditions? 

They could call it a holed approach, which is what it usually is, a holed shot? Many things probably, a hole in one as opposed to..........not a hole in one?  Sometimes a "hole in one" is a putt it seems.

On holed approaches, anyone know what they are including in the not ranked section of these nowadays?  I seem to have accumulated over 200 of these recently and I doubt if even 20 are genuine.  If nobody knows, I'll try to work out what's happening there and put it in a new thread as we're in danger of ruining this one.

Edit: I was talking about specifically about in CTTH.  A holed shot from the fairway or chip etc, could still be counted as a holed approach, a putt a holed putt and from the tee a HIO.  Sorry Scott, I won't answer on this here again.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sun, Jan 15 2023 6:24 AM

DodgyPutter:

PureGro1:
    The terms are interchangeable, Usually meaning 1 shot from tee to cup...with CTTH you only get one shot - if it goes in they call it an Ace. What else would they call it in that formats conditions? 

They could call it a holed approach, which is what it usually is, a holed shot? Many things probably, a hole in one as opposed to..........not a hole in one?  Sometimes a "hole in one" is a putt it seems.

I meant specifically on the CTTH scorecard, and game. You have 1 shot and if it goes in Ace seems to be only logical way to account for it in that format and on that scorecard.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Jan 15 2023 10:13 AM

PureGro1:

DodgyPutter:

PureGro1:

I meant specifically on the CTTH scorecard, and game. You have 1 shot and if it goes in Ace seems to be only logical way to account for it in that format and on that scorecard.

I believe it is the CTTH shots taken from the tee that are counted as a hole-in-0ne when they go in the holein the goals and achievements

• ScottHope
    10,013 Posts
    Sun, Jan 15 2023 1:20 PM

DodgyPutter:
    Sorry Scott, I won't answer on this here again.

No worries Dodgy.  ; )

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 10:19 AM

Hi Scott. Have you (or anyone tried) to use OCR software to upload a WGT scorecard? For example, see the attached cropped scorecard. I would like to automatically get this into Excel in such a way that I can see the par for each hole and the gross score. This is because we run some club competitions which use "Clash scoring". At the moment someone has to manually look at each posted scorecard and convert to clash points. I'm looking to automate this as far as possible. The couple of free OCR pakages I've tried seemed to struggle to recognise the scores because of the boxes and circles around them. Has anyone successfully done this, or alternatively found some other way to automate clash scoring based on screenshots of scorecards? I have pretty decent Excel knowledge, so I just need to get the numerical data from the scorecard. Thanks in advance 

• ScottHope
    10,013 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 1:10 PM

Hi Jon, the only experience with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that I have is with Microsofts OneNote. I did try your picture in OneNote, but as with your experience, the numbers inside shapes were not recognized along with many of the other numbers.

I not sure what your next step should be Jon, that's a difficult one.

EDIT : Just tried another online one, seems to work better. https://www.imagetotext.info/

• Yiannis1970
    3,262 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 1:43 PM

If i may...never used OCR, but if the problem lies with circled number...why don't you use photoshop or any other equivalent program to eliminate the circles...it will take only a minute.

• ScottHope
    10,013 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 3:17 PM

Just remembered that Snagit screen capture software can grab text from an image. Might be worth downloading the free trial to see how effective that is.

RSS