Forums

Help › Forums

Scott's tips

Fri, Apr 12 2024 12:26 PM (748 replies)
  • JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 3:20 PM

Thanks for this and your previous reply. Late here in UK but will give this one a try soon.

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 3:21 PM

Thanks Yiannis. I could do that, but to be honest I think it would be just as quick to type in 9 gross scores. 

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 3:21 PM

Thanks Yiannis. I could do that, but to be honest I think it would be just as quick to type in 9 gross scores. 

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2023 4:29 PM

Scott, JonPope0, being new to the threads, is on moderation but sent this message, through me (via discord)

"thanked Scott and @Yiannis1970 for their help. It's late in the UK but I'll experiment with "imagetotext" sometime soon. Yannis' suggestion of photoshop is interesting, but if I have to do much manipulation then just entering the gross score for each hole from each Scorecard into Excel may end up being quicker! I enjoy automation though!"

I suggested he send you a friend request to discuss further if needed, as a "work around" moderation.

EDIT: At some point, his post (thanking you both) will appear above this one, no doubt. At that time, if I remember, I will come back and delete this post.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 1:12 AM

Thank you Steff and Jon.  ; )

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 9:24 AM

Mulling over this for a wee while, Yiannis did make a valid point about editing the picture, although I suspect he might have meant just painting out the circles and squares with a paintbrush to make the OCR work better, but I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think a more efficient idea would be to use a mask. Provided your scorecards are always the same size, you could create a mask in an image editor to fit over the scorecard that would hide everything, except the required numbers, which hopefully the OCR could read successfully. Although again, it may just be quicker to type out the values manually.

So, scorecard...

...plus mask...

...on top, equals...

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 11:04 AM

Interesting - I wouldn't have thought of that.

That seems worth investigating. What image editor did you use please Scott?

I will need to check if Android/iOS/PC screenshots display as exactly the same layout.

(And we have a few who just take an actual photo of their scorecard on their phone!!).

Thanks for this idea,

Jon  

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 11:06 AM

Hello Scott!!

Actually had in mind both of them!!

With the mask you can create a pattern for future use.

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 11:26 AM

ScottHope:
    Mulling over this for a wee while, Yiannis did make a valid point about editing the picture,

Received this a little while ago...

Hi Steff. I'm still in moderation on the forum and am likely to be for the whole weekend.

I've gone back to Scott's latest with the following. It's not urgent by any means but I'd like him to know I am listening to his solutions!

"Interesting - I wouldn't have thought of that. That seems worth investigating. What image editor did you use please Scott? I will need to check if Android/iOS/PC screenshots display as exactly the same layout. (And we have a few who just take an actual photo of their scorecard on their phone!!). Thanks for this idea, Jon"

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 12:33 PM

Yiannis1970:
    Hello Scott!!

Actually had in mind both of them!!

With the mask you can create a pattern for future use.

I should've known that you would've thought of both.  ; )

JonPope0:
    What image editor did you use please Scott?

Thanks for this idea, Jon.

You're welcome Jon.

I used GIMP for that. I'm fairly new to it but it's a bit more up-to-date than my CorelDRAW/PHOTO-PAINT program that I usually use.
    I don't think it really matters what graphics program you use as long as it has layers so that you can put one image on top of another.

Thanks too Steff.  ; )

RSS