Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2014 edition

Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:46 PM (149 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 6:56 PM

Thanks for asking Cerino!

I did not end up adjusting them at all for the purpose of the Scores Relative to Par (which is one of the sheets that will really matter in terms of cross-tier comparison, and UEL Ryder Cup qualification).

However, I did adjust them within the TL and L Averages Sheets only. I was planning on just omitting that week's scores from those sheets, but the formula was getting too complicated for my limited brainpower, so I ended up making the * 0.8 adjustment (but only in those sheets)... just so that anyone who cares about Average can have a sensible score appear there rather than the Bo5 true score messing things up.

I hope that makes sense!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 7:45 AM

Aaaagh!  Week 19 (how the hell are we at week 19 already btw?) and having made birdie on #5, survived going in the bunker right of the green on #12, nearly birdied #15 from off the green and playing the first 11 holes 9 under, I make my only bogie on the17th having hit the green from the tee. 

Well short though and I misjudged the slope, I guess 2 feet could well mean 30 inches and ended up playing my 3rd shot from the fairway in front of the green after the ball ran up the hill, stopped and then came belting back and ended up 19 feet behind me.  Worth seeing just for comedy value I think.

A good punch and a single putt kept the damage to a minimum but it was frustrating to finish and see my score was only 1 worse than Mags played.

Getting more and more into UEL, I really expected Merion to be a nightmare but I think the front 9 was possibly the best I've ever played there.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 8:06 AM

Corwyn:

WGT removed the Bo4 UEL weekly yesterday after hearing that it wasn't working (people clicked on it to play but it wouldn't load properly). Apparently, anyone who entered and had to WD when it didn't open, will be able to enter the revised one when they get it set up.

Hopefully, we'll get a new, working version of the Best of Par 4 free weekly UEL single-play appearing today.

In other news, Shoe has arranged to drop the Best of Par 3 that was scheduled for next week, and it will be replaced by Best of Hardest. And he's also working on switching out what would otherwise be a repeat of Best of Famous in Wk21 with St. Andrews instead.

Just a thought, but don't know if it's to late. If Shoe were to replace BoF with RSG instead of ST A, then you were to include the May single play UEL at St A in your spreadsheet, then you would have had all the courses you wanted included in the Tour and within the time frame you wanted as well....

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 9:14 AM

That's a nice idea Mags, but I think it's already all sorted out, with BoH next week, and St A's the week after (instead of Bo3 and BoF, respectively).

Actually, the May UEL at St A Kiawah is unlimited play I think... it's just been misnamed. So it wouldn't have worked for our Tour anyway.

Full course list is on the last tab in the spreadsheet, and here is a copy from that showing the remaining courses in our Spring Tour:

Wk19 Wk20 Wk21 Wk22 Wk23 Wk24
    Merion Best of Hardest St. Andrews Oakmont Cabo del Sol Kiawah

------------------------------------

Congratulations MM!

That's a wonderful score. Mags's score is the yardstick that we all hope to get close to. Bravo on a great round!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, May 8 2014 11:20 AM

Corwyn:

Congratulations MM!

That's a wonderful score. Mags's score is the yardstick that we all hope to get close to. Bravo on a great round!

Thanks Corwyn, I was more than happy to see my name so high up the board.  Still a lot of good players to post scores but this looks like being my best result so far.

I edited my original post to put some replays in.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, May 10 2014 7:08 AM

I've been meaning to post this week about sponsorships for the Tour (but been distracted by fending off attacks on UEL!).

I've had a couple of very generous sponsors step forward and offer 2,000cr towards a prize pool for this UEL Spring Tour, and I will match it with another 2,000cr.

So, for the winner of each tier's Credit Standings, there will be a 2,000cr prize. KonradOse will sponsor the prize for the Legend Credit Standings winner, and I will sponsor the prize for the Tour Legend Credit Standings winner.

Our anonymous 3rd sponsor's 2,000cr will go towards a sleeve each for the next placed best finishers in each tier's Scores Relative to Par category (skipping the players that win the respective Tour prizes above). [These sleeves to be awarded on this basis: 1. highest placed player in L tier Relative to Par (if not winner of Tour). 2. highest placed player in TL tier Relative to Par (if not winner of Tour). 3. next highest placed player in L tier. 4. If any credits left out of the 2,000, the next highest placed player in TL tier.]

If any other sponsors wish to step forward, please do. You can post here in the thread, or PM me if you'd rather do it privately. I'll keep this opening page post updated.

Thank you so much to our generous sponsors!

---

Edit: FYI: I've been reminded that WGT's revised TOS mean that credit games can no longer be used as a method for passing on community-sponsored prizes like this, so winners will need to choose Pro Shop equipment or balls for their gifts.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, May 12 2014 6:50 AM

Hey guys, got operated my right hand last monday, missed Merion week and won't be able to play for the next 1 or 2 weeks....ouch :-(. I might try to play using the left hand tho...lol.

Hope to make it up for the UEL Row team otherwise, good luck & thanks a lot Corwyn for such great enthusiasm on arranging & running the Tour.

Cheers, Eric

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 13 2014 12:17 PM

Hi Eric,

Hope the hand heals quickly. We need all our UEL Ryder Cup veterans fighting hard to make the team!!!

I'm getting close to having responses from all the players in prominent positions in the various standings, as to whether they intend to try and make their respective team... so I anticipate having an additional sheet in the spreadsheet within the next day or so that shows the cut-off points for team qualification.

Good luck to everyone at St. Andrews this week!

Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 14 2014 11:57 AM

Here's a round-up of standings after Week 19.

Merion saw two players win their first events of the tour, after a number of second-place finishes. KyRock75 took the honors in the TL tier, his super 59 pipping fmagnets on 60, and five other players with 61s.

In Legend tier, Corwyn shot 61, to win by three shots over four players with 64s. His first win takes him to the top of the L credit standings, ahead of niqueclyde who sadly failed to play last week.

Highlights of my round: this very lucky 47ft putt on #9 after an atrocious push off the tee, made up for some near misses: an almost eagle on #2, this lip-out on #3, a near pitch-in on #5 (camera doesn't really show it, but it just hopped over), and a few bad pulled putts (especially on #7, and #12 from just 8ft, and a slight pull on #17 that caused this trickler to miss).

Note: this week the wind set was back to as before, with TLs getting Low wind, and Ls getting the Moderate setting.

--------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

Right-click, open in new Tab, to see these images full-size

wk18 Tourney: Merion scores:

TL credit standings:

TL 'Relative to Par' Standings:

L credit standings:

L 'Relative to Par' Standings:

TL & L Combined Credit Standings:

TL & L Combined 'Relative to Par' Standings:

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 14 2014 11:29 PM

Update: courses have changed again, and obviously we have St. Andrews this week. I have requested Royal St. George's next week, and then we should be back to the list indicated above: Oakmont for wk22, Cabo for wk23, and Kiawah to end the Tour in wk24.

Special Prizes: WGTdbloshoe wants to help support this Tour, and plans to "throw in a few sleeves of balls to week 20's winners." So, if you needed any extra incentive to play well this week at St. Andrews, there you have it! Thanks, Shoe!!!

Ryder Cup Team Qualification:  

Finally... for those interested in trying to qualify for the next UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst, for which this Tour provides the qualifying basis, I have just posted a full update on the Team Selection method, and current standings: 

Please visit the Ryder Cup thread here.

RSS