Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2014 edition

Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:46 PM (149 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 11:32 AM

Still no news on the Best of Par 4s snafu... ?

Until there's some posted news, everyone please note that this tourney does not seem to be working, so it would be wise not to tee off yet.

Well, we've sure had our share of challenges with this Tour!

Corwyn:
    I'm considering whether or not it can work to include this week's tourney in the Tour (because it will distort the Scores Relative to Par significantly, and create an unfair disadvantage to someone unable to play this week).

Corwyn:
    2. Once the results are in, I will make a calculated adjustment to the Scores Relative to Par. I'll do this by comparing the top 20 scores in each tier against the top 20 scores for a similarly 'easy' course (Bethpage) to reach a formula for each. This will then reduce the Score Relative to Par for all players accordingly for those sheets only.

As I mentioned earlier, the Best of Par 5s course threw a wobbly into the Spring UEL Tour. I promised a calculated adjustment to the Relative to Par Scores.

Unfortunately, things got further complicated by the reversal of playing conditions: TLs got the stronger Moderate wind this week, while Ls went down to Low wind. Essentially, this undermined my intent to make a valid comparison between scores that the top 20 players shot in each tier while playing Bethpage (a comparable 'easy scoring' course).

The top 20 TLs averaged 14.8 under par at BoP5 (compared to 12.9 at BPB, creating an adjustment ratio of 0.87), while the top 20 Ls averaged 14.65 at BoP5 (compared to 8.8 at BPB, creating an adjustment ratio of 0.6).  

Using these ratios, scores would be affected as follows: niqueclyde's -21 would go down to -13, while KonradOse's winning -20 in TL would drop to -17. That seems unduly imbalanced. The significant greater relative improvement by Ls last week I'm sure had a lot to do with the easier wind, and thus it would be harsh to adjust their scores by my anticipated method.

There's an additional issue at play here, in that TLs are stronger in depth than Ls, and thus using the same top 20 number as a marker may also not be quite fair.

So... I'm considering a simpler approach: an adjustment of Scores Relative to Par based on the difference in Par, i.e. Best of Par 5s is a par 90. Modifying that to be a par 72 instead, means multiplying it by 0.8. So I propose to do the same with the relative to par scores (for both TL and L).

In this scenario, niqueclyde's -21 would become -17, while KonradOse's -20 would become -16. And of course, everyone else's scores, for the purpose of the Relative to Par sheets would also be multiplied by 0.8.

I'm going to mull it over for a few more hours today, and would welcome any comments/objections if you have them.

-----------

Sidenote: I had always thought that the additional challenge TLs faced in playing with Champ speed greens offset the harder wind conditions that have been the norm for Legends in these weekly UEL singles (Ls have had Moderate winds every week, until last week, while TLs have had Low). 

Now, seeing the BoP5 results, I suspect that Low wind is worth a little bit more in strokes gained, although there are clearly some courses where Champ greens are more of a problem than others!

Anyway, all this just underlines how difficult it is to arrive at something comparable across the tiers.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 1:55 PM

I think the simplest course of action is a straight line. Leave the scores as they are. IIRC only our top 9 scores of 12 weeks will be used for placement consideration on the Ryder Cup Teams anyway. I understand you're wanting to level everything out as much as possible but it's not anyway.

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 4:47 AM

stevereilly:

Is anybody else having problems playing week 19  (Best of par 4s).

I'm having loading issues

(edit)  Looking at the empty leaderboard ,I'm not the only one.

Hi guys,

I don't even see a UEL event  in the W19 tournament list. Am I alone to have no right to play it?  ;)

Fred

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 5:33 AM

fredsf:

I don't even see a UEL event  in the W19 tournament list. Am I alone to have no right to play it?  ;)

You're not alone, I don't have it listed either.

• johehejo
    277 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 5:43 AM

Monday morning i think its: Best of par 4 uneven.

And now: nothing!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 6:45 AM

Damn, it's completely gone. 

Icon promised 2 look after, I suppose it will come up pretty soon eventually if not even today.

Erc

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 7:37 AM

WGT removed the Bo4 UEL weekly yesterday after hearing that it wasn't working (people clicked on it to play but it wouldn't load properly). Apparently, anyone who entered and had to WD when it didn't open, will be able to enter the revised one when they get it set up.

Hopefully, we'll get a new, working version of the Best of Par 4 free weekly UEL single-play appearing today.

In other news, Shoe has arranged to drop the Best of Par 3 that was scheduled for next week, and it will be replaced by Best of Hardest. And he's also working on switching out what would otherwise be a repeat of Best of Famous in Wk21 with St. Andrews instead.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 8:04 AM

Corwyn:
    I'm going to mull it over for a few more hours today, and would welcome any comments/objections if you have them.

Well, based on the feedback here from Cerino and from colleagues in my cc, I've decided to leave the Best of Par 5 scores as is (with no adjustment).

I checked the participation of leading players (essentially, the only ones for whom this decision has any impact), and there is only 1 player in each tier's top 20-30 who didn't play last week. I'm persuaded by the argument that anyone serious about winning the tour, or trying to qualify for the Ryder Cup would not opt to miss this week, and that doing an adjustment to benefit non-participants is less fair than penalizing those who did play and score particularly well. For instance, were I to do an adjustment it would reduce the margin of victory for KonradOse and niqueclyde over their closest rivals (one of whom is myself, so I'm especially reluctant to make a decision that would benefit me!).

This has been a difficult decision, and there's no way to please everyone... so apologies in advance to anyone feeling hard done by. This is definitely a learning experience for me!

Thanks, Corwyn

-----------------------

The spreadsheet is now fully updated (including credit allocations for Wk18), and pics will follow later today.

Also, now that we are at the halfway stage in the Tour, I hope to add information this week about who is on course to make each Ryder Cup team. If you haven't done so already, please indicate your intent to qualify and team you hope to represent in this thread.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 11:08 PM

Here's a round-up of standings after Week 18.

The Best of Par 5s course saw another superb win by KonradOse in the TL tour, this time by 3 clear shots over nearest rivals bhoese, Wontonamo, and johehejo.

In Legend tier, niqueclyde had a stunning 69, 21 under par, followed by great 71s from MartyFlanagan and lisalovesthesun.

Note: this was the first time in the Tour that Legends got the easier wind set, Low compared to the TLs' Moderate. All the previous 5 weeks of competition have been the reverse.

In the respective credit standings, Konrad has opened up a significant lead in TL tier thanks to his 3 wins. Mags in 2nd, and Ben in 3rd place have all put some distance between themselves and the chasers. In L tier, niqueclyde's win takes him to the top with a healthy lead over Corwyn and Oriolus, with cricketrules and emmalinks close behind.

--------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

Please note that rather than omit the wk18 Bo5 scores from the L & TL Averages sheets (too complicated a formula!), I adjusted the score across the board by *0.8.

Right-click, open in new Tab, to see these images full-size

wk18 Tourney: Best of Par 5s scores:

TL credit standings:

TL 'Relative to Par' Standings:

L credit standings:

L 'Relative to Par' Standings:

TL & L Combined Credit Standings:

TL & L Combined 'Relative to Par' Standings:

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, May 7 2014 6:04 PM

Corwyn,

Did you adjust the BOP5 scores or not? One post you said you were going to leave them as they are and the last one you said you adjusted by .8. Won't make any difference for me but just wondering what the final verdict was.

RSS