Help › Forums

Wind & Putting

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 8 2010 3:11 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:38 PM

I would like to hear from others about wind and putting.........

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:40 PM

Well... nahhhh... too easy! ;)

But seriously... I've never considered winds under 20mph having much if any effect, but on these faster tourney greens, it seems some effects may be felt/seen at lower wind velocities. Still up for testing it out, tho... good luck... surely a topic that needs a fresh look into.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:48 PM

Seriously! No Jokes Pugs......

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:51 PM

I had to truncate my post at first... I edited when I had a chance.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:53 PM

I agree, it is something I had not considered that much anymore since I felt it was rarely in play but now that Bollox brought it up I am starting to wonder!

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 4:13 PM

Sargenjd01:

I agree, it is something I had not considered that much anymore since I felt it was rarely in play but now that Bollox brought it up I am starting to wonder!

I've done a little testing, with a 27mph wind on St Andrews #10 with the tournament greens, and can't say I could detect anything different to what you'd expect if you don't bother to take the wind into account.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:37 PM

In my experience, the wind only impacts putts in CTTP events - it doesn't have any impact on ranked rounds, match plays, or tournaments.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:43 PM

I can say with 100% certainty that wind effects putts in stoke play.

edit- mess around with 100+ foot putts for 10 minutes on the first hole of this weeks 9 hole unlimited and you will see what i mean.  Inside 10 ft the effect is very minimal, but it is there.  100+ feet its extremely blatant.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:44 PM

You know me, always inside 10 ft, lol

B, I thought our one time man on the inside said this very thing as well (no impact) - well, now I have to go experiment!  :-)  Stay tuned.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:04 AM

Well, experiement complete, and I was wro.., wr..., wro..  - well, you know.

B is correct on wind impacting the putts.  As a feel player, I had neither paid attention to the wind when putting or experimented by placing the ball on a spot on the green and hitting it over and over.  Playing in the STA 18 RG with 30mph winds, and paying attention to it, it was pretty clear, especally on putts over 10 ft.  I don't have the algorhythm (feel player ;-) to solve the impact, but it certainly is there.  The lesson, as always, is... listen to B!

• PAGES
RSS