Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifiers, New Tiers, New Clubs, and More

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:49 AM (137 replies)
  • esahnow
    3 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 12:38 PM

There is no way I should be in the Masters tier with a 66 average. I can barely shoot 32 on most 9's and will never finish in the money playing agains the best in this game. Bethpage Black is showing us that the club distances need to be adjusted as well. I have the G10 driver and missed 3 fairways shorts when hitting a perfect shot. Also, laying up on the majority of par 4's doesn't work for me either. I've played the Black in real life and play to a 7.4 HC. Yes it is a helluva course but lets be real here, most players can drive the ball more than 240 yards and the game needs to reflect that.

• SirRedneck
    1 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 12:41 PM

Way to go guys at WGT... youve taken a decent game and seriously %#^@ed it all up... i want my 6$ back for the driver i bought and i will never be back. You guys are idiots.

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 12:51 PM

As much as I agree that you almost have to buy new clubs to compete on BP, I do have to say that a little course managment would probably help wonders. I have the Tour driver and Tour putter, and the rest of my clubs are the basic Starters. I "only" shot an 8 over my first time playing BP. The only fairways I missed off the tee were due to shanking, not to distance. All the fairways were reachable. Yes, I need to birdie the Par 3's (when you can) and one putt par the rest to have a shot, but there's certainly no need to blast every shot. I laid up numerous times, but by laying up, I gave myself a short iron to the green and hopefully a reasonable distance to one putt par, instead of blasting into a bunker or the rough greenside and needing a chip or two to get onto the green and then two putting.

This all being said, I really do think there has to be some sort of RPG element added to this game. It's nice that better equipment will give you 5-10 (or even 20) more yards distance and better spin/control, but better equipment doesn't do that in real life. Practice does. Say you play 50 rounds (9 holes) and manage to average 220 yards per drive and have a fairway % of about 80%. This should boost a player stat like driving distance giving you an extra 5 yards on your driver/3 wood/3 hybrid etc. Hit a certain GIR % over a certain # of rounds, your player's iron accuracy stat gets boosted. These are arbitrary #'s I threw out, but I think it  would be a welcome addition to an otherwise challenging game. People that want to put in the practice time to get better, get rewarded with better stats. Equipment will still provide a boost (someone with a Taylor Made driver will still drive further than a player with the same driving distance stat value using a Starter driver), but you can honestly expect Tiger Woods to play using my crappy clubs and suddenly start driving "only" 230-240 yards.

Overall, I think a lot of good things were done with the latest update, though there are a few areas of contention still (I thought the Masters group was going to be very difficult to get into???). Keep practicing and realize that BP is NOT Kiawah and we should expect it to be.

• reidhanson
    49 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 1:00 PM

Excellent enhancements, guys.  I love being able to choose the putter distance, and I'm glad the wind effect has been reduced.  I do hope you'll give the clubs 5-10 more yardsso that the course doesn't feel unreasonably long; and I love mosherkl's idea of rewarding practice and hard work with some increase in abilities.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 1:06 PM

I think all you guys are forgetting what the US Open is all about. It's to make golfers look silly. They have their official stance as toughest test in golf, blah blah, but I don't think it's really ever been that. I know this is a game but to me this was to be expected. You didn't really think they were going to want to see 50s in a US Open, virtual or not did you? Everyone has to play the same course. You definitely need to upgrade your clubs to compete though, but that's a different issue entirely.

• MavZee
    34 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 1:41 PM

Of course it is to make golfers go silly, WE ARE NOT PGA GOLFERS!!!!!!!!!

We are players of a 3 click golf game online.....  The PGA guys that are being made look silly can still hit the ball 300 yards. Give me a 290 base yard driver and I will stop thinking this is unfair,

• MavZee
    34 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 1:48 PM

Like another gent has stated, I will also state, I have played Black in real life, and yes it is enough to make any average golfer lose there minds, 

BUT!!!!! I can play from the close tees and have a fun day. I am a 6 - 8 handycap depending on the course. I played with a 10 and 12 handycap the last time I was at Black ( played it about 5 times )  WE AS THE NATION OF WGT!!!!!! Can not play this game from these tees. With the current clubs you offer us.

Period. No more bitching, no more anything. WE can not play this game on a enjoyable lvl with the tees or clubs at current lvl.

Please WGT make changes before your golf game community is ALOT small then your company has enjoyed.

Thanks

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 1:49 PM

i still enjoy playin the round. Everyone has to play the same course, so who cares if a hole cant be birdied. that means no one can. its not like the field is unfair.

• dpatton
    8 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 2:22 PM

a point well made.  We are using a driver that is equal to a 4 wood or 3 iron distance on a monster course.  Give the pros a club no bigger then a 4 wood in distance and they'll complain all day long.  I have seen plenty of U.S. Opens and have heard plenty of pros complaning about courses.  To be using clubs that arent even close to their proper distance on this course or the other courses does nothing but distort the reality of the game. 

If you want to make some money, then I guess you put courses up that force players to buy better clubs but those clubs better be capable of giving you a shot in hell if you hit them properly.  But don't make people buy them to only later find out that they're more suited for a minature golf course or an executive course in a retirement community.

The course is fabulous but it will never be fun for anyone even if they say it is.  After a few rounds of 6 or 7 over, you'll start complaining as well.

Give us the proper clubs or let us play from the ladie's tees!!!

• MElli22631
    32 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 2:22 PM

I like the way they have set it up - some holes you just have to lay up and play for par. Make getting a birdie or two fun again. Everybody who has ever played Tiger has the exact opposite complaints - it's too easy and just ask to make a round of par or slightly under the goal. Well that's what we have here. Curious to see how low people can get after a month of playing.

RSS