Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifiers, New Tiers, New Clubs, and More

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:49 AM (137 replies)
  • marcmess
    2 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 7:18 AM

I agree witgh Harold.  In order to actually compete in the US Open, you are basically forced to buy better clubs.  So much for free online play.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 7:28 AM

Looks like if you've been below 66 before you're now a master..

• gfsullivan
    196 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 7:45 AM

As a low handicapper that plays Black often (I live just a few miles from the course), Ive been looking forward to this day for over a month now.

After my first round, I am completely disappointed. Par 3s that cant be hit with a perfect swing, par 4 target areas that are completely unreasonable distance wise, and the fact that you have to buy clubs to compete (in a FREE game), its just silly. If you are trying to emulate what its like for a 36 handicap to play from the pro tees at Black, this is the game for you.

I really hope there are changes in the works to erradicate these issues.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far. We are reading them, so keep them coming as you tinker with the new updates.

• Ace3000
    31 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 10:35 AM

this the U.S. Open your talking about. i haven't played it yet and i will probably score 80+ on the first try but

you got to practice and study the course. Bethpage Black is one of the hardest courses in the US but do

your research at usopen.com and more practice and you'll be a contender

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 10:53 AM

Alex...  I am glad that you indicated that you would like feedback, because I have sadly come to the point where I can find something to complain about...

The new tiers, clubs and Bethpage Black.  I was excited to see the changes and most of which I whole-heartedly approve.  Until I got to the Bethpage Open 18.

It is frustrating and a bit off-putting to have a set of clubs I bought that are completely useless in the new settings.  Specifically referring to the first par 3 of Bethpage and the par 4 5th.  When I can't reach the green on a par 3, or any fairway, with perfect drives the game becomes less than golf and more of a carnival game.  It is discouraging.

Par 4 5th, Bethpage Black.  Pro tier. 243 to the edge of the fairway.  Driver, already upgraded, 230 max.  15mph tailwind, hit dead on perfect, doesn't make the fairway.

"Step right up ladies and gentlemen, see if you can toss the ring on the bottle!!  3 chances for a dollar!"

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 10:59 AM

In the Virtual US Open, everyone tees off from the same tee (championship tee). The course conditions are also the same for everyone. In regards to driving distances, the competition is simulating what an average golfer would be able to do on the course in championship conditions.

In the new tier calculations, we are taking into account how long and how much you have played the game. In upcoming releases, people in the higher tiers will have exclusive access to things that the lower tiers will not.

• spikel
    100 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 11:02 AM

The simple fact that it is impossible to reach some fairways and greens is a big turn off. I know it's suppose to be challenging, but this is just ridiculous.

• MavZee
    34 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 11:05 AM

1. ...... You want feedback... Here's some.  This course is inpossiable!!!!!! I have all the top clubs you offer and can hit them well
    2.  I can get nowhere near the fairway or the greens in any kind of shape to make a good number.
    3. Thanks for the hype... Good to see it was for nothing as this is FAR from a enjoyable time on the golf course.
    4. Anytime you feel like moving the tees up as we are not Tiger of Phill and can't hit the ball 335 yards off the tee to produce a chance at hitting a number on ANY HOLE.
    5. The first par 3..... Driver. Taylor made driver.... Can't make the green... what a joke.
    6. Final point. If this is my frustrations as being a 69.98 amature. I can only imagine how the hacks are feeling trying to be one step closer to there heros by playing the US open, yet can only score a 8 on every hole due to distance.
    7. Thanks for nothing. A longtime player, Now turned hater.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 11:05 AM

All drivers need a 5-10 (OR MORE) yard bump in distance. I have the r9 driver/g103w and can't even reach most par 4s. 

That is not how the game of golf was meant to be played.

RSS