Forums

Help › Forums

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:30 AM (40 replies)
  • wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 5:52 PM

well said VHL.   But  I think ,  for me , it should be ranked multi player rounds that one should finish, if you start as a single and want to quit it should not ding your average.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:00 PM

Of course I read it and understood it.  Especially this part:

VanHalenLover:
    The only way to handle this situation, is to make each player finish each and every started round.

My  point is you can't make each player finish every  round by merely removing the 'forfeit round' option.  They'll just close the window.

Rep tracking as proposed will require players who disconnect for whatever reason  to complete the round after re-opening the game window or, at their option, take a reputation hit.  And no extra work for WGT.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:10 PM

VanHalenLover:
    Other than average manipulation, can you offer one example of any disconnect that would warrant someone NOT going back to finish a round that was dropped?

sorry, forgot to answer.

Fire. Flood. Hurricane.

Removing the forfeit/end game option removes the graceful way for someone to exit a matchplay game for a good reason.  Just closing the window causes the 5 minute wait to reconnect cycle to start.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:20 PM

lol - nice try.

While that would be a very excusable reason to drop the game, it certainly has no bearing on whether that person should be able to finish it when they have recovered and are ready to play once again.

andyson:
    Removing the forfeit/end game option removes the graceful way for someone to exit a matchplay game for a good reason.  Just closing the window causes the 5 minute wait to reconnect cycle to start.

I don't play match play, but again (I'll type slowly) I am not talking about any changes in the game or its play, not even for match play. What I am talking about is for multi-play rounds, and preventing someone (who has already disconnected.....) from selecting the 'forfeit' option when the game client reloads. Again, I don't play match play. If however, they have the same method in place for a wagered type MP round as they do for a regular multi-player ranked round, there is something really wrong with that.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:27 PM

wiz,

I would agree that a practice round that doesn't affect ones average should be able to be dropped - no harm there. I do think any multi player round that is scored should apply. That is, I think, the crux of this entire issue. The method is in place whether it is a practice un-scored round, a ranked round, or a match play wagered round. Big error there.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:01 PM

VanHalenLover:

I would agree that a practice round that doesn't affect ones average should be able to be dropped - no harm there. I do think any multi player round that is scored should apply. That is, I think, the crux of this entire issue. The method is in place whether it is a practice un-scored round, a ranked round, or a match play wagered round. Big error there.

I play many multi-player practice rounds, even random, and your solution does nothing to help the quitting problem.  Besides there is no re-join option in multi-player practice stroke rounds and therefore no forfeit button to remove.

I suggest you go play some random match play rounds, and MPCs if you can, and learn what the problems with quitters are.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 6:15 AM

andyson:
    play many multi-player practice rounds, even random, and your solution does nothing to help the quitting problem.

It does nothing to prevent people from quitting, you can't control a users computer. It does. however, take away the option to forfeit a round, and force a user to finish a started round before being able to play another. If there is no option to forfeit, it will not take long for score manipulators to stop trying, and stop creating new aliases. 

andyson:
    Besides there is no re-join option in multi-player practice stroke rounds and therefore no forfeit button to remove.

You missed the part about proactive, non-scored rounds NOT being included in this. A non-ranked round doesn't count towards average, no need to prevent a quitter there.

andyson:
    I suggest you go play some random match play rounds, and MPCs if you can, and learn what the problems with quitters are.

Nope. Never played a match play round, and with the recent cheating proof, am feeling very comfortable with that decision. Thanks for the sound advice, but I'll pass.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 6:50 AM

VanHalenLover:
    Never played a match play round, and with the recent cheating proof, am feeling very comfortable with that decision.

I see. Cheaters don't play ranked mp rounds.  Good luck there.

Been fun VHL.  Since your proposed solution only deals with multi-player ranked stroke play, ignores mp practice stroke play, and ignores match play, it is not a viable alternative to reputation tracking which addresses the quitting problem.  People will always find a way to pad or protect their averages.  (Like avoiding ranked multi-player rounds.) 

• WoodFairy
    33 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 7:05 AM

I would welcome a reputation system. I have read many  posts on them about the difficulties when people  disconnect  for technical reasons and how this is handled.  However, i think some folk may  be hung up about  trying  to  maintain a 100% possibility.

I think most  folk would be happy  with  an indication of the number of completed rounds that they started.  I suspect  mine would be around mid 90% given the technical issues and being  left  alone on the course or the occasional unexpected visitor. I doubt  that  those that  do quit will be able to achieve 50%. 

At  least we can then have some idea as what to  expect and form our  own judgement.

• kissfanpdx
    84 Posts
    Thu, Aug 5 2010 7:19 AM

I think we ....at least for me, i could give a rats ass if someone quits, i only play match game challenges, so i hardly run into it.  I love playing this game, but it is not a priority in my life, ahh.....err....okay its not a need in my life.  So if i have to quit to take the dog out,  do the dishes, or whatever those things are going to trumph over an online game.  I was reminded of this recently when my wife looked at me with ....you know.....the look, and i said  "just one minute hon, ill be to bed, just need to finish this match"  lets just say, I've made better decisions in my life.  I think i heard something to the fact, "hey maybe you could have sex with that avitar leaning of the his putt, or better yet, take the putter and ....."  ...well you get the idea.   SO yes, quitting is annoying, does it mean anything in my life in the greater scheme of things.......NO

P.S does anyone know about how long this "in the doghouse" thing usually lasts? we are talking days right?...not weeks...months.....

RSS