Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:21 PM

It definitely depends on the club, balls, and spin on the ball.  I had to adjust for about 50% more wind when I went from Nike distance balls to the Nike 80+ spin balls using full back spin.  I generally aim about 15 yards off for a 10 mph side wind assuming the box is 5 yards.  Some clubs I need more and some clubs I need less and it's not even about the distance, more about the trajectory.  Also for a downhill landing spot I account for about 1 yard more per 1 ft downhill and uphill maybe just slightly less than a level ground.

If the wind isn't full side and is a partial tail/side wind it's very difficult to get close especially if it's 15+ mph.

• BulldogBowden
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 9:08 AM

I tend to agree - 1 yard for every 1 mile an hour cross wind for a 150 yard shot. For a 300 yard shot - 2 yards for every 1 mph. that works for this game and the Tiger Woods game.  Although, puzzlingly, it does not seem to work the same way for head-on or tail winds in this game. This could be due to speedy greens.

I find that tail and head-on winds seem to affect the distance by about 0.5 yards per 1 mile an hour.

Additionally, the elevation change for a shot does not have the same effect as in the Tiger Woods game, which I always calculated as 1 foot distance for 1 foot in elevation.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 1:57 PM

From what I have read in this thread, no one has this right- the proven formula for wind is .58 x wind x yards (after adjusting for elevation) - this is pretty accurate  for headwinds or tailwinds (12 o'clock; 6 o'clock)... as well as sidewinds (3/9 0'clock). On sidewinds if using full backspin, I try to hit slightly early or late (against the wind). Quartering winds, cut in half, etc. 

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2013 2:18 PM

Sorry correct me if l'm wrong but doesn't the Tiger Woods game show you where to hit the ball, so on that crap you cant fail!

BulldogBowden:

I tend to agree - 1 yard for every 1 mile an hour cross wind for a 150 yard shot. For a 300 yard shot - 2 yards for every 1 mph. that works for this game and the Tiger Woods game.  Although, puzzlingly, it does not seem to work the same way for head-on or tail winds in this game. This could be due to speedy greens.

I find that tail and head-on winds seem to affect the distance by about 0.5 yards per 1 mile an hour.

Additionally, the elevation change for a shot does not have the same effect as in the Tiger Woods game, which I always calculated as 1 foot distance for 1 foot in elevation.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Mon, Jul 1 2013 4:34 PM

courteneyfish:

It just seems strange that all these people with fancy calculations don't have good stats. 

+1

I keep it simple. with FBS, line up the side of the box with the flag for 5 MPH from the golfers view point, double it for 10 mph etc etc and so on. If I am playing less spin I will give it less effect.

Close enough.

• Slammer23
    420 Posts
    Mon, Jul 1 2013 11:04 PM

Geez...doing all that would quickly make this game no fun. If I have a 10-mile-an-hour crosswind, I hang it out a bit into the wind. If it's a long shot, a bit more. If I'm punching it, a little less. Sometimes I misjudge, and say, "Holy crap, why'd you go so far left?" 

If you get rich selling my "formula", remember you heard it first from the Slammer. I'll take my royalties in GI-SD's.

• BulldogBowden
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jul 2 2013 3:57 AM

andwhy67:

Sorry correct me if l'm wrong but doesn't the Tiger Woods game show you where to hit the ball, so on that crap you cant fail!

BulldogBowden:

Not in the TW 2004 game, it only shows where you are aiming like this game.

• BulldogBowden
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jul 2 2013 4:12 AM

skccvb:

From what I have read in this thread, no one has this right- the proven formula for wind is .58 x wind x yards (after adjusting for elevation) - this is pretty accurate  for headwinds or tailwinds (12 o'clock; 6 o'clock)... as well as sidewinds (3/9 0'clock). On sidewinds if using full backspin, I try to hit slightly early or late (against the wind). Quartering winds, cut in half, etc. 

You haven't mentioned the distance of the shot. If that factor of .58 is for a 100 yard shot, then it would agree closely with my factor of 1 for a 150 yard shot. The length of the shot determines the time the ball is in the air and therefore how far it will be blown off course.

Anyhoo, its all an approximation as the shape of the trajectory is also important. 

I only wish that the first 2 weeks that I have been playing this game hadn't been spent on the virtual open qualifying round. It's murdered my stats. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,455 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 1:04 PM

There are so many factors that effect this type of shot.  The ball you are playing also tends to react differently to the wind.  A ball with a lot of spin will be influenced by the wind more than a ball without as much spin.

The punch shot is probably the most effective tool in dealing with the wind, my least in my eyes.  Lower flight path and not as much stop but it bores through the wind and has less side to side effect as well.  I tend to try to hit late or early to hold up a shot against the wind much as you hit a fade or hook to hold it up in real golf.  That loses a little distance but seems to work pretty well, at least for me.

Someone mentioned the wind at a course like BPB being less of an influence than at STA or RSG due to the trees.  I would concur in real golf but I'd like to see the WGT folks weigh in on this to see if it is indeed programmed that way.  I feel that a 10 mph wind is the same on all these courses.  It might seem like more since the wind is generally stronger at these links tracks.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 2:02 AM

The lateral effect of wind isn't a linear calculation (I was told "think Pythagoras"). I've copied this from someone (my apologies I forget who so cannot give credit). Basically if the wind is blowing at 45˚ the second line is the amount you offset, this  works pretty well at all distances.

I don't know what math was used for this as, as I said I've copied this from elsewhere but from my experience it is pretty accurate. Of course if the wind isn't at 45˚ you have to adjust somewhat.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB ZH-CN X-NONE

Crosswind strengths

Wind strength at 45 degrees:

10   12   14    17   20   23   24   26   27   30   33   38   41   42

The cross wind component:(Mph)

07   09   10    12   14   16   17   18   19   21   23   27   29   30

RSS