Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 3:10 PM

Elevation affects distance because the landing point intercepts the trajectory at a point of more or less steepness.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 3:38 PM

Bubba:

Hate to beg, but what is your"no wind" formula?

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 4:35 PM

I use absolutely no mathematical equations for wind. It really all comes from experience and feel.

If you can visualise the shot then you can hit it.

Only wish we could have some rain.

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 5:03 PM

And i think somebody touched on this  but windage is not the same at every course....the wind is totally different at...say...congressional  than it is at say RSG(Royal St. George for our newer members) or even at Kiawah....i can cut through a 10 mph wind better at congressional becausethe trees act as a strain and at RSG ur getting the full force wind power....hence when u go to some courses u better have a good memory of the difference or take extremely good notes....and yes a medium trajectory club will work better on the high wind courses better than a high trajectory club....one thing i did was i bought that Callaway X Hot driver (L67+) to use at the higher wind courses....i'm thinking of getting some medium trajectory irons just for those courses too

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 5:20 PM

To each his own. Some can hold the data in their personal memory, which is what experience and feel are. Some use external data (notes), some derive the data. I used to have a really good memory, but it's been slowly going for about 5 years. I use a combination that I think works best for me, given my inabilities.

None of my data or calculations are concerned with putting. I consider that my weakest point. I'll never be a super player, but if I can get the breaks down (I'm good with distance), I'll do a lot better.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 7:16 PM

bubbadork:
    I used to have a really good memory, but it's been slowly going for about 5 years

I think that..uh..er...never mind, I forgot.

FWIW, I use the aimer box as a guide...fairly accurate in low to moderate winds-sans SA and RSG where more movement is needed in moderate winds.

Heavy winds on all course require much more that "1 box per 5mph wind".

Not very scientific, but for the most part keeps me putting.

• pjctas0822
    4,528 Posts
    Sun, May 5 2013 11:07 PM

Ahhhh Heres another grip it n rip it discussion if you ask me.......I used to try and ding and adjust for wind using the aim marker but.....As I am one of the less fortunate that experience the DING BUG I find adjusting a wee bit left or right and missing ding on opposite side of the wind direction works best for me.

Otherwise if I strictly rely on just moving my aim marker and ding the damn shot well the shot acts as if I didnt move the aim marker at all. And of course thats the DING BUG I am talking about that not all experience. I can reproduce this BUG every single time on my end.

But experience and a ton of playing time helps to know where to aim and where to mis ding. Also depends on the type of equipment your using as well as ball flight seems to be different for each club and club type.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2013 12:47 AM

RobertoPro:

I would like as many comments as I can get: 

A 10 MPH crosswind (3 or 9 o'clock) will move 10 feet right or left per 100 yards.

Therefore, a 10 MPH crosswind will mover 20 feet at a distance of 200 yards. 

All other distances and angles to the wind are proportional.

I work in yards for wind on approach shots.  Form a 10 mph cross wind on a 200 yard shot I'd allow 10 yards.  On certain greens that would be +/- 1 or 2 yards.  St. Andrews #4 with the back pin for example, the ball will tend to roll from left to right if you allow some run out, therefor I aim to land a couple of yards further left than the maths says.

On shorter approaches with strong wind you may get several yards sideways roll when you hit a full wedge.  The ball will land and roll in the direction of the wind, assuming the green doesn't slope strongly the other way of course.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2013 2:50 AM

Well that is the essence of playing in wind. If u miss on the wind side then u will always be going towards the hole, just like a breaking putt.

If  u over estimate the effect of the wind, then at least u will be getting closer to the hole, rather than further from the hole if u under estinmate the wind or miss ding on the wrong side.

When the wind is over 20 mph, there is no formula, u are aiming off the chart.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2013 9:50 AM

oneeyedjohn:

I use absolutely no mathematical equations for wind. It really all comes from experience and feel.

If you can visualise the shot then you can hit it.

Only wish we could have some rain.

Thought you'd of prefer a bit of snow John LOL

RSS