Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • DuFussMcGoo
    2,860 Posts
    Mon, May 6 2013 12:56 PM

I use Kentucky windage, and the hope and pray methods.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2013 5:47 PM

DuFussMcGoo:

I use Kentucky windage, and the hope and pray methods.

LOL   same here.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 6:38 AM

From my data I find the effect of the wind to be nonlinear with speed. That is, a 20 mph wind does not move the ball twice as far as a 10 mph wind. I don't know why that is, and I haven't bothered to reduce it to a formula.

I would have done so up until about a year ago when they put a random, unseen factor into the wind. Given that, why bother. Out of laziness I use one calculation for wind under 15 mph and another for wind over 15 mph. Then I just live with the random variation and the WTFs.

• GALTUSA
    1 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 10:31 AM

thks GALTUSA

• fronny25
    280 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 1:45 PM

what is wind anyway ???

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 2:15 PM

fronny25:

what is wind anyway ???

It's when you have had to many beans for supper....;-))

• KittyWumpus
    345 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 2:35 PM

Huh. For me, when I hit the ball the wind is there, other times it is broken.

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,860 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 8:17 AM

The calculations for wind are very elusive. Isn't there some WGTer that has a decent adjustment for wind? I certainly don't and I fulfill courteneyfish's need for a "low average" to say something pertinent.

The best I can add is this. On short shots (30 yards or so) the effects are there, but minimal. There is a"break even" point out there about 120 yards or so where a wind of 4mph right to left equals 4 yards ball placement right of the pin. I take the flagstick to be 5 feet high and I use that to calculate distance.

Way out there around 200 yards, the distence "more than" the above. A 10mph wind right to left on St Andrew's 8th makes me move the pointer about 15 yards.

I don't know the correct amount. I just give it my best guess (Kentucky Windage).

So WHAT'S THE ANSWER WGT???

• makinpars
    4 Posts
    Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:17 AM

yeah good luck with that

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:28 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    I take the flagstick to be 5 feet high and I use that to calculate distance.

The critical off-set measurements are those of your approaches. In general, the accepted value for flag-stick height  is 7 ft (~2 meters for our int'l players). Since you're working with the green itself or near-green, the game gives you a nice measuring device and terrain analysis tool: from off the green select either the forward or reverse green zoom view (reverse not available on all holes, alas, as that's my favorite for making windage adjustments. Now select pitch, chip, or flop shot type, and with aiming point on the green, left click on the aiming point. You'll see this type of display:

The square terrain area shown is a box 10 yards on a side (14 yards diagonal) centered on the aiming point. In-game, that terrain box comes complete with moving dots for break, etc.; if the display is too small, right-click on the aimng point and Zoom In to see the details. The distance from the aiming point to the mid-point of any side of the square is 5 yards (15 ft), a bit more than 2 flagsticks (~14 ft).

While left-clicking, drag the aiming point around the green-side area - as long as some part of that terrain square touches the green/fringe, you can see the entire square's terrain, including  10 - 14 yards off the green proper. Using this technique you can map the entire green for localized slope.

RSS