Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:18 AM

DuFussMcGoo:
    Don't forget to change back to Full or you'll be chipping a 200 yard shot. (Yes, I forgot once.)

Only once lol I'm habitual.

GC.

• utterhacker
    5 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 12:21 AM

courteneyfish:

It just seems strange that all these people with fancy calculations don't have good stats. 

And if they were playing me with a 45 sec clock they would need a fast calculator

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 11:44 PM

utterhacker:

courteneyfish:

It just seems strange that all these people with fancy calculations don't have good stats. 

And if they were playing me with a 45 sec clock they would need a fast calculator

Oooo..scary

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 2:30 AM

Most fancy calculations can be done mentally with a bit of practice. It's probably an advantage working with numbers for a living though!

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:44 AM

lol 20 cross wind is the mark after  or before ding dethpending direction id give extra 10 yrds to depending distance out. 21 a just  extra 5ft away from hole either direction 17 bring other side of hole by few feet  15ft  further other side thats the lazy wind method :)

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:13 PM

aussieguyadam:

lol 20 cross wind is the mark after  or before ding dethpending direction id give extra 10 yrds to depending distance out. 21 a just  extra 5ft away from hole either direction 17 bring other side of hole by few feet  15ft  further other side thats the lazy wind method :)

+1, adam. From another forum thread on what those meter regions are about, I had posted this illustration: 

We agree. Those points in the early region (club face closed), or late region (club face open), assume it is a DIRECT 90 degr crosswind. Hitting at edge of light blue (20mph) will cost about 5% yardage. Out at the extremes of Hook or Slice territory the yardage penalty is 10 - 15%. Black is lost or not far from tee box, lol.

Punch shots need only half the 'windage' of full shots. Which is why I use them in high winds ... in some cases from tee to green on the 'brutes' for wind: St Andy's & RSG. Yes, I'm including Driver punch when there's trouble long and the crosswinds howl!

• scotty32m
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 4 2013 6:58 PM

i think when you buy clubs they should be worth almost as much as you payed for them so you can advance you clubs faster

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Thu, Sep 5 2013 4:49 PM

scotty32m:
    i think when you buy clubs they should be worth almost as much as you payed for them so you can advance you clubs faster

I think my 10 year old Explorer should be worth almost as much as I paid for it, so I can advance to the Lexus faster. Oops! Fat chance - real life don't work that way.

WGT is a business, just like the car biz: the object this type of business owner is to 'sell high', and 'buy low' - if it takes trade-ins at all - in order to maximize income to the corporation.

Welcome to Business 101, Lesson One, The Capitalist System in Action, scotty.

• AHughes1999
    7 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 7:06 PM

i dont think it really matters, i belive the wind componant is faulty, ive had shots with a 20mph crosswind left to right. so using your formula, my ball should go right about 20yrds from my aim point, well the shot in question went  about 40yrds to the left of where i aimed. nearly out of bounds.(no spin on the ball, and hit the ding spot). so the ball actually moved into the wind twice the distance in your formula, the wrong way....explain that(hasnt happend just the once either. So i usually dont bother looking at the wind, because the ball is going to do what ever it wants to do......

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2013 12:13 AM

AHughes1999:

i dont think it really matters, i belive the wind componant is faulty, ive had shots with a 20mph crosswind left to right. so using your formula, my ball should go right about 20yrds from my aim point, well the shot in question went  about 40yrds to the left of where i aimed. nearly out of bounds.(no spin on the ball, and hit the ding spot). so the ball actually moved into the wind twice the distance in your formula, the wrong way....explain that (hasnt happend just the once either. So i usually dont bother looking at the wind, because the ball is going to do what ever it wants to do......

Here's your explanation:

Learn how to change the clubs in your bag, AHughes, then immediately switch out the 'EZ-Swing' starter clubs you presently are equipped with for the ordinary starter clubs. Info on how to do this is right over there ---> in FAQs.

The EZ-Swing clubs are notorious for horrible accuracy - they are for familiarizing new people to the basics of the game, and have no directional control whatsoever. Personally, I think WGT has lost a lot of potential long-term players by even having the damn things available in the system, much less equipping new players with them. You might as well be using lengths of re-bar to hit the ball, lol - the resultant shot can go anywhere, wind or no wind.

Changing to the regular starter clubs will get you on the road to more realistic play - including seeing how your shots really respond to wind - and learning how to deal with wind from any direction. 

Trust me: you will advance nowhere in this game until you use 'real clubs', rather than the useless EZSwings. Once you get the 'feel' of shooting real clubs, your game improvement will progress rapidly.

RSS