Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:21 AM

Chinajohn:

The lateral effect of wind isn't a linear calculation (I was told "think Pythagoras"). I've copied this from someone (my apologies I forget who so cannot give credit). Basically if the wind is blowing at 45˚ the second line is the amount you offset, this  works pretty well at all distances.

I don't know what math was used for this as, as I said I've copied this from elsewhere but from my experience it is pretty accurate. Of course if the wind isn't at 45˚ you have to adjust somewhat.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB ZH-CN X-NONE

Crosswind strengths

Wind strength at 45 degrees:

10   12   14    17   20   23   24   26   27   30   33   38   41   42

The cross wind component:(Mph)

07   09   10    12   14   16   17   18   19   21   23   27   29   30

wat u mean 2nd line were is that how I do it lol explain more plz?

• WeidaDeNei
    298 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 6:14 AM

By second line he means (the cross wind component) line....

sooo...

If there is a 10 mph at 1.5 o clock or 45 degree angle.... You would see it as only 7mph instead of 10mph

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:44 AM

SwingingRoofer:

Chinajohn:

The lateral effect of wind isn't a linear calculation (I was told "think Pythagoras"). I've copied this from someone (my apologies I forget who so cannot give credit). Basically if the wind is blowing at 45˚ the second line is the amount you offset, this  works pretty well at all distances.

I don't know what math was used for this as, as I said I've copied this from elsewhere but from my experience it is pretty accurate. Of course if the wind isn't at 45˚ you have to adjust somewhat.

Crosswind strengths

Wind strength at 45 degrees:

10   12   14    17   20   23   24   26   27   30   33   38   41   42

The cross wind component:(Mph)

07   09   10    12   14   16   17   18   19   21   23   27   29   30

wat u mean 2nd line were is that how I do it lol explain more plz?

The top line is the 'actual' wind i.e. what the wind meter tells you. The second line is how much of that wind is a crosswind, so tells you how much you have to offset your aim point.

The first line assumes a 45 degree wind, if the wind isn't 45 degrees you have to adjust the calculation, but as we only need to consider a quarter of a circle (as the other three quarters are exactly the same maths just different directions), the adjustment isn't too much.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 1:27 PM

"If I have a 90°, 13 mile an hour wind and a shot distance of 182 yards, I multiply 13 x 1.82 = 23.66 feet that the ball will be blown sideways."

This is great info but....How do I know where "23.66" is?  What can I use to measure and move the pointer?

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 1:27 PM

"If I have a 90°, 13 mile an hour wind and a shot distance of 182 yards, I multiply 13 x 1.82 = 23.66 feet that the ball will be blown sideways."

This is great info but....How do I know where "23.66" is?  What can I use to measure and move the pointer?

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 1:40 PM

"A 10mph wind right to left on St Andrew's 8th makes me move the pointer about 15 yards"

OK, so how do you determine where where 15 yards is?

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,860 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 2:51 PM

Change from Full to Chip mode. Click on the arrow at the green and the grid will appear. There is 5 yards to either side of the flag so if you drag the grid over 5 yards, you will be 10 yards away from the flag. From ther, it's a pretty easy guess to find 15 yards.

Don't forget to change back to Full or you'll be chipping a 200 yard shot. (Yes, I forgot once.)

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 3:12 PM

To be honest full crosswinds are fine. It's when you've got a 30mph wind somewhere between 0 and 90 degrees and using 24-6 rather than 22-8 can totally upset your power and aim.

I approximate as best I can but I've got no idea how the best players figure it our short of sticking a protractor onto the screen...

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Aug 31 2013 4:14 PM

gerry,

Since WGT took away the  "Zoom"  mode this has become a more difficult. Previous posts, from top players, suggest the following:

1.  The flag stick (on every courses) is 7 feet tall

2.For most views, the box that contains the range and elevation info (above the green/blue triangle) - assume that the horizontal box dimension is 10 feet wide (unless that is OBVIOUSLY TOO MUCH) - {gotta employ your eye and common sense here} {If you want. pull out a ruler & measure the height of the flag stick - 7 feet tall see #1 above & use that instead of the 'box']

3. Calculate your offset: (see above chart for 45 degrees} - I use wind speed/10 X distance to the pin for "laydown" head/tail and pure crosswinds

4. Using #2 & 3 above - offset your aim point (into the wind) & hit - i.e. if you figure that the offset is 20 feet - this equals 2 "boxes' (into the wind) - put one corner of the 'box' on the flag - hold a sharp pencil point at the other corner of the box - move the whole box over, placing the edge that used to be against the flag over your pencil point. Move the pencil point over to the other edge of the 'box'. - that  point is 20 feet. Now move the aim point to your pencil point (= 20 feet) and wham away.

May not be perfect, but this method is used by Tour Legends (i.e good enough for me)

Try it - you'll love it : - ))

P.S. Do not claim to be anything other than (a little) above average, and I am not a Legend or WGT Nation person!!

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 12:38 AM

You know that with the update Tuesday they returned zoom don't you?

RSS