Forums

Help › Forums

No Virtual Open Championship in 2012

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:53 AM (139 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:57 PM

thebigeasy707:
    Do I think it's the end of WGT....or do I think they've just chucked the British Open to save $500k?   No I don't.

Me either.

I recall last year the tally of qual rounds for CCC (no Nikes at the time, nor stats of started and not completed rounds.

Someone estimated based of Cally ball life it was 1.2M US smackers

Seems even if only 1/2 used Cally's at that time and figured in restarts, revenue would still be the same.

So I'm pretty sure it wasn't to save 500K, but just my opinion.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:23 AM

people can have their chance in the live IRC Chat to ask Chad questions ranging from what is vision is for WGT to what colour of G String he prefers to wear on those erotic nights in :)

so folks need only pop into the chatroom and ask him stuff.

will be funny if 10,000+ people log in at the same time :)

tbe

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:56 AM

I'd like to make that chat, but I'll be on about 15 or 16 at 2pm pt trying to scramble for a non virtual par:)

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 1:05 AM

g u t t e d !

looks like it will be 1 hd course

2 tru golf courses a year now !

when i seen new pin locations coming i kinda felt hmmm i dont think another course is coming

i dont play the tru courses much so i am really gutted.

i do understand i THINK but even if you photographed a local course thats not even in the public eye would be better then nothing. 

thanx wgt for the great work on olympic course, fantastic keep up the good work !!

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:07 AM

thebigeasy707:
    To be honest....I'm quite looking forward to the 4 tournaments he's mentioned

The problem with those tournaments, TBE, is that they only benefit the very top of each tier.  I won't be entering because I have absolutely no chance of even getting into the top 100 of the Legend tier let alone any chance of winning.  But a new course benefits everyone.

The WGT Nation tournaments are a waste of time too - 3 prizes per tier; looks like Bollie, Dan, Genorb and a few others are going to be getting loads of Christmas presents, whilst the rest of us wonder what WGT Nation is all about.

Sorry TBE, but the tournament, and WGT Nation, are only there for the elite 0.1%.

And I agree with the comment that WGT could have told us long ago that we would not be getting Lytham, even if they had another possible course in the pipeline which they could have still kept secret; would have been much less of a letdown in my opinion.  If it takes 6 months to produce a course, then they will have known at least at the start of the year, and more than likely earlier as they will have done the photography when the weather will have been nicer.

• MioKontic
    4,590 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:11 AM

Hmmm!  I left out a comma, but I can't edit my post!  Now it doesn't read like it should.  Where has the edit button gone?

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:14 AM

Can we at least get a reason why the OPEN is a no-go this year?

(apologies if 1 was given, but i have not come across it)

tnx

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:18 AM

yeah i've noticed the edit button has gone into hiding...I've read WGT's original post again and I see that photography of the course seemed to cause problem's..I don't know..seems lame excuse to me..maybe time was a big factor...who's to know eh

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:20 AM

YankeeJim:

seanobrien:
    But the fact is they did release 2 a year, and now they have decided to keep the $500K for themselves.

I don't know that this is the case but the mere mention of this type of situation does not bode well. Is it a conservative move to protect the future or is it something else?

Havn't you realised they have a so called baseball game to fund as well now, so the Lytham funds were probably used in photographing the baseball arenas.  It was always coming, WGT have 2 baby's to feed now.  But to leave it this late to tell us is a bummer, it would have been a nice consolation to have another tough tru-golf course just to compensate.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:10 AM

chrisironsbones:
    it would have been a nice consolation to have another tough tru-golf course just to compensate.

No it wouldn't. Those courses pale in comparison to the real thing. Free versions might get more players but no thanks on paying to play them.

At this point I suspect the best we can hope for is another one or two combo courses. That isn't all that bad if they use ALL of the courses, including Oakmont and Olympic. Maybe add some holes from the CTTHs (if they're capable of being converted to stroke.)

RSS