Forums

Help › Forums

No Virtual Open Championship in 2012

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:53 AM (139 replies)
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:31 AM

YankeeJim:
    At this point I suspect the best we can hope for is another one or two combo courses. That isn't all that bad if they use ALL of the courses, including Oakmont and Olympic. Maybe add some holes from the CTTHs (if they're capable of being converted to stroke.)

yes, might not be a new course, but if they mixed and matched all the different courses it might be a slight consolation, as for the ctth, those angles are set, maybe the wolf creek 9th could change into a par #3 for a mix and match, but the greens aren't mapped, nor different locations around the courses

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 5:34 AM

Yep, it is getting bad, $25.00 for a virtual golf club, $5.00 for a sleeve of golf balls, and now down to one new course. Not looking good folks.

So they are going to set up 4 Special Tourneys, don't they have those types every month as it is, plus those Tournament's  will just benefit the member's shooting in the 50's ( I'm sloooowly getting there.......LOL). No but really why can't they make the CTTH courses a stroke playing course?

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:46 AM

It is a bit of a let down.

The new Summer Series sounds ok, but not as good as a Virtual British Open would have been.

Will RLSA be released in the near future then? Better late than never...lol

Just on a side note... can our CC's have access to all of the current courses.

-Roger

• BOXALL
    140 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:16 AM

Only just noticed this thread. Although I've had a gut feeling for some time that Royal Lytham would not be coming, the fact that no one from WGT was confirming this had me thinking that I was wrong. I agree, this should have been announced ages ago and it is a big let down. Overall, WGT do a great job but they slipped up here.

One other thing and apologies if I've got this wrong, has Chad actually said that we're only getting one HD course this year or is that just everyone assuming this?  Merion's a hell of a long way away. Maybe there is something else coming this year. I guess we'll find out later tonight.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:35 AM

theres another tru golf course coming in next few months, new pin locations for kiawah and congressional.

misterwgt will have alot of players on his case tonight , when he comes on live to answer questions from us all lol

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:37 AM

Quite a long-time ago, I'd said that staggering the introduction of HD courses was a sensible plan for WGT. This meant everyone was only waiting for 6 months for a new course rather than the traditional 11 month wait that we'd seen in the past few years. Not only would this spread the workflow for the programming team but it'd also mean that the community would be less voracious in their attitude when new courses weren't forth coming.

Let's hope that Boxall's point is correct and around Christmas time we've got a special gift from MrWGT...

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:23 PM

Chad's reply in the IRC chat session yesterday

why no British Open & new HD courses:

So... even though we have a deal with the USGA and R&A, it does not mean we also have a deal with the course itself;  for example, to secure Congressional... we had to visit the course along with the USGA and give them the full court press showing why WGT would make an excellent partner.

fortunately, in most cases, this has worked and the course partners are excited to participate with us;  unfortunately though, it doesn't always happen.  as I mentioned before... Pebble was limited to a short-duration;  in the case of Royal Lytham, we weren't able to come to an agreement;  which -- believe me -- is horribly frustrating and definitely affected our shoot schedules.

As for TruGolf... we have another in the works which we will be announcing shortly;  One of our goals is to feature more international courses as well... so TruGolf will help with that.  

looking ahead... we have multi-year contract with the USGA and we are very happy with that relationship;  but even Merion is still in negotiation.  Does this mean we won't get it... No. But it's an on-going process and we are definitely dedicated to get 2 courses for 2013.  I love hosting the Virtual USOpen. USGA loves it as well... so we are dedicated to making it happen.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 4:33 AM

I have always said and will always say... This is the best Online Game that I have Played. Don't get me wrong here, this game is called the World Golf Tour (Wgt). All the present courses we have are from either the US or England... It's time for courses from other countries.. Wgt Courses not True Golf Course, that is.

I think Wgt should have had talks with our people in Australia.. they would have loved to have a golf course for the world to see.

-Roger

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:32 AM

I choose to play WGT because...................

1/ The HD Graphics rock.

2/ It's pretty close to the real game with regrards to mentally choosing your shot. Sometimes the result is baffling....but anyone playing real life golf will agree this happens a lot too.

3/ The WGT Community in general are a great bunch of people.

4/ I now watch far less online pron  :)

tbe

• Jintfan89
    221 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:35 AM

MisterWGT,

How come no stroke play on Pebble Beach? When it first came out I was real excited that we could play another great course. However all we can play on it is closest to the pin which is OK but, how about opening it up for stroke play?

Jintfan89

RSS