Forums

Help › Forums

No Virtual Open Championship in 2012

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:53 AM (139 replies)
  • MisterWGT
    122 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:05 PM

Greetings my fellow WGT players...

WGT regrets to announce that it will not be running the Virtual Open Championship this year, as we were not able to photograph and produce the Royal Lytham & St Annes course, as we’ve done in the past two years with the Royal St George's and St Andrews courses.

We're disappointed for all the WGT players out there, so in place of the 2012 Virtual Open Championship, WGT will be running a few special tournaments this summer that will coincide with real-world golf tournaments. As a special thank you to all our players, WGT will be giving away a variety of prizes in these tournaments to players of all different skill levels.

The WGT Summer Tournament Series will include...

WGT Congressional Championship - Special tournament the week of 6/25 on Congressional

WGT St Andrews Championship - Special tournament the week of 7/16 on St Andrews

WGT Kiawah Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/6 on Kiawah--featuring brand new WGT hole locations on Kiawah

WGT Bethpage Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/20 on Bethpage

Stay tuned for more details on all these tournaments and prizes.

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:26 PM

Thanks for the update MisterWGT. And for the great post on Olympic. Really enjoyed that.  We had heard the whispers that this might be the case, thanks for making it definite.

Also appreciate the extra special tournaments and prizes. Makes the WGT experience much more memorable.

With that said, is there any thought to perhaps hosting a virtual Open Championship on St. Andrews or RSG? I know it is not the same as brand new HD RLSA, but I think it would be equally enjoyable and exciting for the WGT community to compete for a chance to attend the 2013 Open Championship.

• Win1Soon
    385 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:31 PM

Ty, Great work!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:40 PM

Well, at least we'll have the excitement of WGT sponsored tournaments. I'm sure there are great prizes associated with these WGT Open tournaments.

Thanks for the heads-up.

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:42 PM

How about a virtual PGA Championship this year? We already have the course - Kiawah Island! Maybe the prizes could be a trip to the US Open, since we're not getting the British this year. Just a thought.

• JCOlson
    1,118 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:45 PM

cyl6:

How about a virtual PGA Championship this year? We already have the course - Kiawah Island! Maybe the prizes could be a trip to the US Open, since we're not getting the British this year. Just a thought.

Great idea Polar Bear! Or a trip to the 2013 PGA Championship??

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 12:56 PM

A few tournaments in place of a new course? Don't care how you paint that, that's a serious let down. Now we're down to 1 course a year. Lovely. Only 12 months to wait.

Good luck to all the sub 60 average players in those tournaments. Make sure you create lots of excitement for us on the sidelines so we don't fall asleep. Pffft.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:09 PM

YankeeJim:

A few tournaments in place of a new course? Don't care how you paint that, that's a serious let down. Now we're down to 1 course a year. Lovely. Only 12 months to wait.

Good luck to all the sub 60 average players in those tournaments. Make sure you create lots of excitement for us on the sidelines so we don't fall asleep. Pffft.

^^^^^^^^^^If we can't have a new course for the Open, at least give us a full 18 on one of the CTTH courses. Any one will work, but there are thoughts from many players.

BD

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:10 PM

Thanks for the update. Although it's always nice to have another new course I have to admit that I am not unhappy we don't have Lytham. I really think the novelty of another links course would have worn off quickly for me.

I am far more enthused by the increased information and interest in their regular customers from WGT, it helps strengthen the community. It's a welcome change from the past and I hope it is now a permanent feature going forward.

Despite the moans, glitches in the game and increased prices there is no doubt this game is evolving nicely and still maintains my interest nearly 3 years on. Lytham or not this game will still waste far too many hours of my life for years to come :)

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 1:31 PM

bigdaddie1:
    at least give us a full 18 on one of the CTTH courses

YES

RSS