Forums

Help › Forums

What Courses Do You Want?

Mon, Jun 11 2018 4:33 PM (151 replies)
  • oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:12 AM

KingOfTheCourse:

Just for the record the U.S Women's Open isn't on the river course, it's a cross between the 11-18 on the meadows and 1-4, 15-18 on the River.  I know what your saying, "King that's only 17 holes."  The first hole isn't part of either of the courses, Pete Dye designed it so when the open came you could get to the second hole (#11 meadows) without walking very far and would aviod complaints from the players.

-King

i know

but the river is my choice of course

royal melbourne was a composite course for the pres. cup as well.

but, i'd love to play either course

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:13 AM

chrisironsbones:

My local course 15 miles away, NOW THIS IS A LINKS COURSE:

The Old Course at Nefyn is one of the United Kingdom’s best kept secrets, and rivals almost anything in terms of its spectacular situation. A tiny promontory that juts out from the Lleyn Peninsula into the Irish Sea is the setting for ‘golf on the edge of the world’, as Nefyn has been dubbed by many. Heather, blind drives and devilish bunkers are among the hazards that await the hardy Nefyn golfer, who on a clear day may be able to spot the peaks of the Wicklow Mountains across the Irish Sea. There are few more amazing places to enjoy links golf in the UK, so make Nefyn and District’s Old Course a priority on your next golf tour in Wales; holes 12 and 13 are worth the trip alone!

Gleneagles:

Turnberry

Augusta

WENTWORTH

CELTIC MANOR

Troon

Hoylake

And this course to match the deviation i got in Bethpage ready go:

Chris, thanks for the intro to Nefyn. Fantastic. Had to explore it further. Another look:

http://www.nefyn-golf-club.co.uk/    Watch the second video.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:27 AM

paudieharrington:

Ihatecheats:

There is a reason that Northern Ireland has 3 Major winners in its golf population and that is it's sublime golf courses.

Very rarely are the courses mentioned on here but as someone who has had the pleasure of playing there I can say that their courses are second to none. I could say a long list of courses that would easily fit all criteria that make a perfect track for WGT but I will mention just one and that is Royal County Down.

A gift from God to golfers.

Thats the island of Ireland you speak of ?  There are as many beautiful courses in the south of this great country too, The K-club ,host of the 2010 ryder cup,Druids glen and Portmarnock to name but a few.And dont forget Paudie Harringtons three major victories in the last five years, So this Great island of Ireland has produced four players winning six majors between them in the last five years.

No I was refering to Northern Ireland.

Of course the south of Ireland has a plethora of fantastic courses and PH is also a major winner but my post was in reply to the lack of mention of the greatest links courses in the world and they are in Northern Ireland IMHO.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:28 AM

AGArgent:

Chris, thanks for the intro to Nefyn. Fantastic. Had to explore it further. Another look:

http://www.nefyn-golf-club.co.uk/    Watch the second video.

What, where you can escape to the pub on the 12th tee!!...LOL

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 8:51 AM

Ballyliffen (Old), Donegal.

Portmarnock, Dublin

The Island, Donabate, Dublin

Rosses Point (Co Sligo)

Enniscrone, Co Sligo

Portsalon, Co Donegal

Ballyliffen (Glashedy), Co Donegal

Donegal (Murvagh), Donegal 

Connemara, Co Mayo

Portstewart, Co Londonderry

Castlerock, Co Londonderry

Baltray, Co Louth

Royal Portrush, Co Antrim

Any one of these courses are a pleasure to play North or South of the border and would make a fantastic addition to WGT.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 9:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3i1c32Bo90&feature=related

This one is on u-tube check out the views from this southern Irish course and the courses all up on u-tube on the right side of the page.This one I haven't played but have heard it isn't up to scratch as the advert would lead us to believe. Still breath taking to see.

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 10:36 AM

I would love to see Pebble Beach and Whistling Straights but would also like to see more courses from around the world. This is The World Golf Tour!

HAWK

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:09 PM

The way you go on you swear it was another country in another timezone, Im not getting political here but Ireland is one island made up of 32 counties and only partitioned politically, The southern courses are just as good as the north and very similar in fact.,due to them being the SAME COUNTRY :)

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:13 PM

Bill Clintons favourtie Irish course Ballybunion.

• paudieharrington
    83 Posts
    Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:21 PM

Ihatecheats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3i1c32Bo90&feature=related

This one is on u-tube check out the views from this southern Irish course and the courses all up on u-tube on the right side of the page.This one I haven't played but have heard it isn't up to scratch as the advert would lead us to believe. Still breath taking to see.

Thats an amazing  course with a great history.

RSS