Forums

Help › Forums

What Courses Do You Want?

Mon, Jun 11 2018 4:33 PM (151 replies)
  • zzturk
    150 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:05 PM

A generation ago, there was a (then) rare golf version that used the flat line power / ding bar that WGT now uses (instead of that circular, dizzying crap elsewhere).

I mention this (and give Sega its due) because licenses had to have already been negotiated for the courses it offered ... all then on the PGA rota!

1. TPC Sawgrass (Florida)

2. Scottdale (Arizona)

3.Summerlin (Nevada, where Tiger won his 1st  tour victory) 

4. South Wind (home of St Jude PGA tourney)

5.Avenel (soon to be or already renamed TPC Potomac)

6.River Highlands (Connecticut)

7.Las Colinas (Texas)

8. Woodlands (Shell Houston Open, also in Texas)

I list these courses NOT (except Sawgrass) because there is an outcry for them, but because they have already been "scoped" to some extent for game play, and licensed to Sega, which is all but ignoring maintenance on their old (but wonderful) Genesis Golf Game.

If it makes them easier to get or easier to re-create, so much the better.

While I personally would love the lower course at Baltusrol, the reason it's no longer on the PGA Open rota is because TWO consecutive Opens there (1967, 1980 Nicklaus), he set US Open records there for low totals, then tied in 1993 by Jantzen, ALSO at Baltusrol. (There's no room there to move back the tees, similar to Firestone, in Ohio.)

And while we would ALL love to play Augusta National or even the supposedly toughest test of all in America - Pine Valley - they are so insular and probably xenophobic that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to deign to even speak to anyone from the  Hoi Polloi.

Imagine scores by our legends at Baltusrol? Four rounds under 200? It's almost possible now! 

• BirdDog1980
    64 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 5:30 PM

Just a few off the top of my head..

Of course the big one would be Augusta. Not sure how likely that is however. But noone ever thought we would see Augusta ever in a video game, but EA pulled it off somehow and got it in the Tiger series. Speaking of EA, I don't know if they have exclusive rights to Augusta, but if they do, we wont be seeing it on WGT any time soon. Look at how long they've had exclusive NFL rights on Madden. They have a stranglehold on that thing.

Some others..

Valhalla Golf Club - Host of 2 PGA Championships, A Senior PGA, 2008 Ryder Cup, and 2014 PGA Championship

Muirfield Village - Jack's Place. Home of The Memorial

TPC Sawgrass - Who wouldn't love to play the 17th?!?!

Quail Hollow - Very nice course and is one of the more popular tournaments, outside of the 4 Majors.

Bay Hill - Arnie's Place. Very nice course, with lots of water. I miss playing this course on Tiger and the old Links LS series.

and there's a few others.. maybe throw in a Turnberry or Carnoustie, and would like to echo others calling for Royal County Down.

• Chuck302
    7 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:51 AM

How about a southern hemisphere - I know the West Aussie courses having played most of the bigger ones.

The Vines:

Tournaments include:

• Heineken Classic - 1993 - 2001
    • Johnnie Walker Classic 2006
    • LPGA Lexus Cup 2007
    • Johnnie Walker Classic 2009

American Airlines Magazine 2002
    Number 8 Resort Course in the World, 
    (The number 8 ranking rates The Vines number 1 in Australia)

Or Joondalup - Designed by the internationally renowned Robert Trent Jones Jr:

quarry course map

quarry course map

dune course map

http://www.joondalupresort.com.au/guests/golf/coursegallery.mhtml

Check it out...

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:24 PM

Pebble Beach would be sweet, as would the par 3 course at Augusta National.

• neuey5
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jun 24 2012 9:12 AM

Whistling Straits

• sport67rm
    432 Posts
    Sun, Jun 24 2012 11:49 AM

Turning Stone Resort has not 1, not 2, but 3 courses that are incredible golf tracks. ( Shenendoah, Atunyote, and Kaluhyat ).     

Also Oak Hill has PGA championships, as well as the Ryder Cup........

• tonythegator
    22 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 12:37 PM

TPC Sawgrass.  I live about 7 miles north of it, and have had the opportunity to play there 3  times, for free.  The tournament isgreat, also, and should be the fifth major.

• mrgolfaholic
    440 Posts
    Thu, Jun 28 2012 4:54 AM

1. Concra Wood golf and country club

2. Royal Portrush

3. Augusta National

4. Pebble Beach

5. Celtic Manor

6. Royal Lytham and St. Annes

2,111 Posts
    Fri, Jun 29 2012 7:47 PM

I'd vote for Firestone in Ohio.