Forums

Help › Forums

American Flag

Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:32 PM (124 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:32 PM

Faterson:
    The trouble is, this makes the US military and flag highly unpopular in many parts of the world. Many Americans seem to be oblivious of this fact.

I wonder how this unpopular view would be affected if we paid attention to ourselves and let the Amins and Husseins have their way. Let the 3rd world countries arm themselves and duke it out and hope it doesn't spill over into a world affair. Then we'd be despised for not doing anything.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:33 PM

GITrDONE:
    Now I should be unpatriotic because another country don't like the U.S.A. ?

No, I was talking about the difference between patriotic and in-your-face patriotic.

I'll give you an example of a statement that many Americans would no doubt find patriotic (and a variation of that statement occurs in practically all speeches of US Presidents), but that many non-Americans would find offensive and arrogant:

GITrDONE:
    This is America.The greatest Nation on Earth.The Best citizens in the world.

MacDermot25:
    lol, good call!

Which post? See, you gotta quote, otherwise we don't know who you're talking to. 

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:40 PM

Faterson:
    GITrDONE:

Don't you feel this way about your own country?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:50 PM

YankeeJim:
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Yeah, it's an extremely tough situation. It just isn't black & white, and it's not about being all-good or all-bad.

GITrDONE:
    GITrDONE:

Don't you feel this way about your own country?

Definitely not. A tiny nation of 5 million – how could it possibly be considered "greatest"? And what do I know about other, famous nations, with thousands of years of history, such as the Chinese, Greek, or the French? Why shouldn't they be the "greatest"? And why should any one particular nation be "the greatest"?

I thought patriotism was about love for one's country, without claiming that that country is better than all the other countries.   

• MacDermot25
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:53 PM

Sorry i thought by pressing the reply on someone elses thread it would state who i was replying to.

Anyway my 'lol, good call' comment was meant to reply to

AtlantaCoaster

(There is not an issue I could care about less than this one.  These are cartoons.)

• MacDermot25
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:07 PM

I have an idea! why dont u Americans duke it out on the course?

Pro-pants vs No-pants

Winner gets to decide about this silly topic, and the best part about it is you get a game of golf at the same time!

cheers

PS. GO Australia!

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:37 PM

AlexisStarfire:

The reason for my statement about a US Gunship

Overview

5th April 2010 10:44 EST WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad -- including two Reuters news staff.

The video, shot from an Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded.

Official footage from the gunship: http://collateralmurder.com/

This post is totally uncalled for in this forum. WGT, please delete it.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:47 PM

Faterson, some are built for comfort, some are built for speed.  Either way it always a fine decision to take a ride on a nice motorboat.   Your silicon valley is my American pie.

Unfortunately 1 in every 3 Americans can't locate the US on a world map but I'm sure most of those people have an opinion on their patriotism.  What I hope is under-voiced, is the average American opinion that while we take pride in our flag we realize that its likeness can also be interpreted differently by those that have been on the receiving end of our occasional poor political policy or military strategy.  Yet another reason why I wouldn't wear the pants.

On a side note but still on topic, has anyone been watching the 10 part series on HBO titled The Pacific?  It's a well-done interpretation of events during the American involvement of WWII and produced by Spielberg and Hanks.

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines, With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.  The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. It also draws on Sledge's China Marine  and Red Blood, Black Sand, the memoir of Chuck Tatum, a Marine who fought alongside Basilone at Iwo Jima.

The series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester,Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

• MacDermot25
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:51 PM

ok hows this for a promo!

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:07 PM

MacDermot25:

ok hows this for a promo!

It's not really that big of a deal.. but to most Americans who have served and/or are compassionate towards those who have lost life and limb this isn't exactly the best way to display their enthusiasm for those who protect them.

Instead why not replace all those high $ endorsed and embroidered logos (on the pga tour) with a patch of the American flag or specific military division.

Oh I forgot. Most Americans are too busy watching American Idol and slobbering over completely shallow and pretentious D-bags (ala Television) to pay homage to those  who give them the right to breathe the free air.. and enjoy a decent round of golf with no worries.

Talk about a sense of "entitlement". LMAO! Unbelievable.

Should the star spangled pants be forbidden? NO.

Are they Classless? Yes.

Just my opinion of course. To me the American flag represents sacrifice and passion. Not showmanship and bigotry.

RSS