Help › Forums

Re: Game modes

Wed, Oct 18 2023 11:27 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Oct 3 2023 12:17 PM

SamSpayed:
    But the starter ball will likely have a much faster meter, making it harder to ding and possibly throwing off your timing when you go back to your usual ball.

I did think about that. But when I think about practicing, I'm really thinking about had hard I have to hit the ball to get the distance correct as well as how big of an effect the breaks have on putts.

Additionally, with having unlimited hits with the starter ball, I should be able to get comfortable enough with the speed so that I'm not too far off the ding. 

While maybe not a perfect alternative, it's a good one and should provide players the information they need to improve their putting. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Oct 3 2023 3:23 PM

Fist2k8:
    I read from a 2.5 durability ball you get 170 hits. Then I read you get between 90 to 120 hits.

No idea who wrote that rubbish you read, but a 2,5 durability ball has 120 hits, no more, no less. 

Be careful what you count, mulligans count double and fringe putts count as a hit.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Oct 3 2023 5:08 PM

In the past, some have noted there is a certain amount of variability among balls with same durability rating (see link with screenshot below).

While this post is from a few years ago, there's really no reason to think the same variability observed then is not also true with current balls in the Pro Shop. 

To be fair, I agree that 120 hits is the number to go by for 2.5 durability. But a person might see a bit more or fewer hits based on the ball.

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/380701/2643894.aspx#2643894

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Oct 17 2023 8:42 AM

Fist2k8:

You are dreaming. The difference between a starter ball and a Titliest eg is huge. You play someone using a titliest round Bethage and he will rech greens you wont even come close to the pin on and without adding anywhere as much yardage for wind.

Go  hit a T-ball with a 100 yd wedge and see how far it goes than try 100yds with a starter ball......night and day the alterations you have to make.

In this thread, you do realize that (literally) nobody said that tee-to-green there are no differences between the starter ball and Titleist. In other words, you're countering an argument that was not made.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Tue, Oct 17 2023 10:29 AM

Fist2k8:
    The worst thing I have found with practice greens is the putting. You lose a hit for every putt ... I assume the game is doctored to use up as many hits as possible......leaves me scratching my head

The game does not use any of your balls hit count when putting. You can literally hit 1000 putts with an expensive Titlist ball on the practice putting green and it's hit meter will not move. 
    It does use one hit each time you press the MULLIGAN button. 
    So if you don't want to waste your balls practicing putting just don't use the mulligan feature.

Also as mentioned above, the comments regarding there being no difference between a starter ball and a 1000+ credit Titlist ball was in regards to putting and practicing putts. Both balls will act exactly the same (line break and distance) however there will be a much faster putting meter with the starter balls.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2023 11:23 AM

Fist2k8:

First off you will learn next to nothing form putting practice. I am referring to practice rounds and believe me every putt you take counts as a hit.

As for the balls you are taking nonsense. A starter ball adds no distance a Titliest adds 5.8. As it says on the description.

If you play the game and use a starter ball a player using the same driver as you and a Titliest will easily outdrive you by 20 or 30 yds.

Go play  a practice round with a starter ball and jot down how far a 100 yard wedge goes then go back using a Titliest and you will be 6 to 10 yds longer playing the same shot.

Obviously you have never tried.

A few things here.

It would be really helpful if you could take the time to use the quote feature so we know to whom you're responding.

With respect to the starter ball vs. Titleist, again, no one else is referring to use of the starter ball from the tees or with approach shots. We're talking about in terms of being on the green and putting.

I think you might want to take a bit more time to read what people actually wrote rather than responding to what you think they wrote.

Finally, on the greens, putts never count against number of hits a ball has.That's true in ranked rounds or practice rounds. As has already been noted, what takes hits off a ball when putting during a practice round is if the player chooses to use a mulligan. It's use of the mulligan that costs hits not the actual hit.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2023 11:27 AM

From the old FAQ:

What is the ball durability limit?

Each ball can only be used for a limited number of shots. The number of hits will be tracked and displayed on the swing interface in the game under the HITS meter. This will give you an estimate of how many hits you have left with that ball. Putts are not counted as a hit to the ball unless the putt is a mulligan. If it is a mulligan then two hits will be deducted from the durability.

https://www.wgt.com/help-flash.aspx#balls

[Emphasis added]

• PAGES
RSS