Re: driving into heavy wind

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 18 2011 12:18 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 4:43 PM

I just did this at Kaiwah off number 1

First shot in 17MPH headwind at about 4:30...full BS with cheapo BES ball (10 credit balls) and my G10 270 td driver....result 251 yards...just a pixel "off ding" towards wind direction

Second shot off #1 18 MPH heawind exact direction, full topspin...result 251 yards shot dinged.

IMO (with the balls I uses anyways) I see not enough difference to worry about it...I will be back in a bit to update a nuetral spin when the wind cooperates.

Okay...back with more info....19MPH (at 4:30) wind nuetral spin missed ding by one pixel to the right (wind direction) shot traveled 254 yards.

Regardless of how nyone want to interpet the above info, I see no benefit on drives...I see a 3 yard spread...yes...things may have bee a yard longer/etc with a ding...but for me I maybe ding 1 in 5 shots.

I do however use the heck out of TS and BS to the greens...biut thats a different subject.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 5:24 PM

For me, I have yet to see any remarkable difference between red dot placement with the driver and wind consideration. A plus or minus of a few yards means nothing to my little mind, the fairway means everything to me. Fairway, green, hit a good putt.

• jeffsweeps
    62 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 7:35 PM

In my findings the difference IS minor, but what IS different is the Carry Distance. in my opinion by using backspin on your drives (at least mine) you get more carry and less roll and with topspin i get less carry with more roll. There is a time to use each of the shots but my findings are as u say "not remarkably different" in the actual shot ditance only the Carry and roll distances change.

JS

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Feb 18 2011 12:18 AM

I agree Jeff.. it does make a difference on say SA...where you want to get the "other side" of the hump in the fairway and get a kick, etc to add yardage...but on BPB and KW....pretty much (IMO) all those fairways dn't give a lot of roll, nor have any places to shoot for to get extra roll, like SA...unsure about Okamont thou...hate that course and raely play it...lol

But to add...there are some advantage to extra carry, regarless of distance, the DL lefts at BP are good examples...just wanna clear the bunkers and get a good second shot..anyhow...happy hitting!

• PAGES
RSS