Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Why does the Lob Wedge roll 5-10 yards?

Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:46 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:27 AM

jakestanfill7:
    This is one shot that WGT just missed the mark on I believe.  IRL even from what you'd call 30 40 rough on 11 stimp greens my 60 degree flop shot might kick forward 6 inches.

To me it seems like the flop shot simply doesn't work the way it works in real life. With a flop shot the ball should pretty much stick where it lands, or roll very little. But in WGT the ball can go 50-60% of the distance and roll very, very far. That's a pitch, not a flop.

Yesterday was one example. I was a bit off the green in the rough, so it was dodgy to use a pitch as the ball probably wouldn't get there, and a full shot was hard to judge the distance of. So I used a flop, expecting it to go to the green and stick where it landed. Instead it only went to the fringe, which was about 50% of the distance. That's what I would expect had I pitched it, but with a flop the ball should go high and land very softly.

I can only assume this is a bug, and I hope WGT gets on it. I've tried the shot a fair few times, and the ball simply doesn't behave as it should, going too short and rolling very far.

• Errant
    72 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:47 AM

I use the flop a lot and I love it. One word of caution, if you use it, DO NOT ding the meter. You want to hit it to the left. I use the first line in front of the ding. Also, there is always some roll out. Even with the roll, I still find it more accurate than the chip or pitch.(At least in some cases).

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 8:47 AM

The (very popular) satin wedges have a much lower ball flight on the flop. The Pings seem to have a better trajectory for the flop, but they do still roll a lot more than you'd think. (the Master level wedges at least)

Also if you are hitting the meter early in order to compensate for the direction the ball travels, you are changing the trajectory a little and also effecting the spin. (I actually use that technique for what I call a sloppy flop and run sometimes) 

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:46 AM

jakestanfill7:

I have to agree with the OP on this one.  Yes he has starter clubs but even with master equipment and high spin balls the flop still runs out a bit, EVEN WITH A 64 DEGREE WEDGE into an uphill green.

This is one shot that WGT just missed the mark on I believe.  IRL even from what you'd call 30 40 rough on 11 stimp greens my 60 degree flop shot might kick forward 6 inches.  From WGT's perspective it might have been too easy of a shot if there were not roll out because you could hit and stop it on a dime from a very short distance simply by ringing the bell.  IRL the flop calls for nerves of steel and many variables can make the shot go horribly awry.

On WGT I use the flop only when I absolutely have to because the aiming is weird and the roll factor is unpredictable.  It's a handy shot and sometimes you have to play it, but for consistency and holing shots I much prefer to pitch or chip.

His wedges are starters except he does have the ping w 64 degree. I almost missed it because all his other clubs were starters.

• PAGES
RSS