Forums

Help › Forums

Why does the Lob Wedge roll 5-10 yards?

Wed, Sep 8 2010 9:46 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Mon, May 24 2010 10:30 PM

I would think that the L wedge being a 60 degree would almost stop dead, and even the starter L could generate a lot of spin, but...

Instead when i hit a full Lob wedge it goes at least 5 yards and sometimes 10 after landing even with full backspin.  Even if i Flop a Lob Wedge, it'll still roll a few yards upon landing.  It's as if the greens are the closest thing to concrete without being it.

The most likely answer is the low spin rating i guess.  Do better clubs with a higher spin rating make the ball stop once it hits the green?  Or is this just a part of the game?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 5:37 AM

There are various clubs and and balls with higher spin ratings.   Here is a great post comparing all the various equipment.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/6927.aspx

Cheers

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 5:46 AM

This will be partly due to the ball, also.

It boils down in a very general way that the beginner/starter clubs and balls have less precision and control - and upgraded gear more closely approximates the performance that you describe.  (Make no mistake - you STILL have to be able to hit the shots (i.e. accuracy) - Ball and club upgrades will never solve that issue, as many sadly have discovered (see Forum complaining LOL).

Experiment with some different ball types and see how the performance and control change.  Keep the idea of upgraded clubs on the back burner for now until you see if simply changing the ball gives you the performance you seek.

I NEVER advocate rushing to buy new clubs until you are fully aware of your own game and your own needs for improvement - as any given club or clubs address different issues.  FROM EXPERIENCE:  I actually surprised MYSELF in this way.  When I reached MASTER, the first IMPULSE is to rush out and buy a longer DRIVER.  I did not do this.  As it turned out, the greatest GAP in my game and the greatest "need" I had turned out to be related to my short game - and specifically to wedges.  I bought new wedges to address that issue (which primarily related to a "Yardage Gap" in my (at the time) club set.  I bought the wedges and my scores improved (once I took some weeks to learn to control them LOL).  I've still not purchased the MASTER level Driver.  Maybe soon.  NOW (6 months after reaching MASTER) that is emerging as my greatest need.

Incidentally - you have been a "Member since May 22, 2010".  Hmm.  Is there a reason to hurry?

Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 6:58 AM

there are many varible you have to figure in  hight green is to ball.Weather you are pitching chiping or full shot.But a 100 percent shot no wind and full back spin will stop on a dime even with low spin clubs..now a full shot into a 20ft elevation green will not achieve loft into green and will tend to role.Many varibles that you learn with experience..Hope this helps

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 9:48 AM

overthetop2:

I would think that the L wedge being a 60 degree would almost stop dead, and even the starter L could generate a lot of spin, but...

Instead when i hit a full Lob wedge it goes at least 5 yards and sometimes 10 after landing even with full backspin.  Even if i Flop a Lob Wedge, it'll still roll a few yards upon landing.  It's as if the greens are the closest thing to concrete without being it.

The most likely answer is the low spin rating i guess.  Do better clubs with a higher spin rating make the ball stop once it hits the green?  Or is this just a part of the game?

You are using the Beginner clubs and the Starter ball. Neither will produce much backspin. That's why you get so much roll. Check the club and ball selection in the Pro Shop. It will compare each club and ball to what you are using and you can see the difference in spin, distance, forgiveness, and feel. All those variables together add up to better shots.

A club with good backspin will stop with little roll. Add a ball with good backspin and it will stop even quicker. For instance, I have the 64 degree Satin  LW and an inexpensive ball that adds some backspin. I can stop nearly every shot I hit with it within 2 feet and sometimes get a tiny bit of backup. A better quality ball would doeven better but I am too cheap to buy them. 

When you are in a game with a player that seems to hit that super shot, ask them about the club and ball. We will be glad to discuss it with you.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 10:19 AM

AlaCowboy:
    A club with good backspin will stop with little roll. Add a ball with good backspin and it will stop even quicker. For instance, I have the 64 degree Satin  LW and an inexpensive ball that adds some backspin. I can stop nearly every shot I hit with it within 2 feet and sometimes get a tiny bit of backup. A better quality ball would doeven better but I am too cheap to buy them. 
    That's odd.... I am using the GI2-S spin ball and the Satin Wedges and to this day have never had a flop shot NOT roll out at least 10', even with full backspin... That is the main reason I don't use it (the flop shot).

I'm glad someone can get it to work right, because it's completely unreliable for me.  /shrug.

Peace.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 2:54 PM

I live and die by the flop around the green. Yes it rolls out a bit, but for me it is a lot more easily calculated and predictable than a pitch or chip. The chances fo getting one to roll in seem significantly less, but I also have a much higher percentage of shots that I leave within 5-6 feet, as compared to a pitch or chip. I guess we all have our favorites, which is part of what makes this game so great!

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 4:49 PM

Snaike:

That's odd.... I am using the GI2-S spin ball and the Satin Wedges and to this day have never had a flop shot NOT roll out at least 10', even with full backspin... That is the main reason I don't use it (the flop shot).

I'm glad someone can get it to work right, because it's completely unreliable for me.  /shrug.

Peace.

You have to shape flop shots. I mean you have to know where to aim and how much force to apply. You can't just blast them like punch shots or they will roll for a while.

One thing about the flop is that you should always aim left of the stick (unless you're dealing with a serious right to left slope). Also, always use full backspin. From the fairway/1st cut hit it soft (70-80%) of the target yardage. Anticipate about 2-3 yards of roll. From 2nd cut try to exact the yardage.. and from the sand/deep rough, depending on the lie, spank it 5-10 yrds harder than necessary.

The flop shot is a huge part of my short game, scrambling, and especially sand saves. Yeah I know I suck but I don't bogey many holes. lol. Thanks to the flop. I virtually never use the pitch option as it rolls for miles and I don't chip unless i'm a yard or less off the green. That only leaves 3 other options.. full, punch, or flop... and in my experience the flop is the most consistent once you learn how to hit it.

Regarding the original post:

Achieving backspin on a flop is virtually impossible on here. Regarding backspin with wedges it's based mostly on the clubs and balls that you use. The starter/ beginner LW should bite for a yard or two from level or higher ground (with full backspin). With high spin clubs/balls you can get it to bite with a 5/6 iron. Although with the starter clubs, if I remember correctly, only the LW really bites a little.

Also the harder you hit the wedge the higher the chance that it will bite. So if you're hitting a starter LW anything less than 95% power it's going to roll for a bit.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 8:04 PM

I have to agree with the OP on this one.  Yes he has starter clubs but even with master equipment and high spin balls the flop still runs out a bit, EVEN WITH A 64 DEGREE WEDGE into an uphill green.

This is one shot that WGT just missed the mark on I believe.  IRL even from what you'd call 30 40 rough on 11 stimp greens my 60 degree flop shot might kick forward 6 inches.  From WGT's perspective it might have been too easy of a shot if there were not roll out because you could hit and stop it on a dime from a very short distance simply by ringing the bell.  IRL the flop calls for nerves of steel and many variables can make the shot go horribly awry.

On WGT I use the flop only when I absolutely have to because the aiming is weird and the roll factor is unpredictable.  It's a handy shot and sometimes you have to play it, but for consistency and holing shots I much prefer to pitch or chip.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 8:41 PM

overthetop2:
    Instead when i hit a full Lob wedge it goes at least 5 yards and sometimes 10 after landing even with full backspin.

From my experience, the flop shot will always roll if you are lower than the green no matter how and especially if the green goes downhill, it's really unpredictable even to those masters. But this shot will still provide the less roll among all shots for me. I use it ALL THE TIME for sand saves that are below the green while aiming about 10-15 degrees left of the target.

Also, I've noticed that the FLOP shot is a fussy one and that you need to ding the meter on that one more than any other shot in order to have that backspin.

Rob

• PAGES
RSS