Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 1:58 PM

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I've been using carraway seeds in my bread for ages.

Lizzie

• BigArnL
    851 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 2:27 PM

yes& they are even better in venison meatloaf, but thats anutter story..lol..lol..lol

• ThunderBoltz
    740 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 3:43 PM

Does anyone have the same problem with the Callaway Tour (i) S balls that the meter is spotty? I have the problem can anyone fix it?

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 3:52 PM

I don't see much difference on distance or meter speed. The spin is great.. Stopped a ball 1-1/2ft. uphill from the hole  on SA #2 yesterday.  Am having a bit of trouble adjusting for spin and roll out but that will come with playing more. Worth the extra $$$.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 5:52 PM

ThunderBoltz:

Does anyone have the same problem with the Callaway Tour (i) S balls that the meter is spotty? I have the problem can anyone fix it?

Not really. meter seems fine for me.The problem I have at times is not realizing just how much the balls will back-up on some holes with full bs

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:01 PM

I suppose this sorts out those greens on Bethpage where you can't stop the ball on the green - 5 and 15.

Can good BS be applied with the long irons?

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:51 PM

PeterHopper:
    Can good BS be applied with the long irons?

Not sure about any other clubs than the g10s you play and the i15s I play but both these sets allow for about 5yds quicker stop with 3-5 irons on many occasions with the Callaway balls.  You still need to learn certain spots on greens where you won't stop the ball no matter how much spin but these balls certainly afford the ability to play a variety of shots.

Don't forget about topspin (when in between clubs) either.  Everybody gets very hung up on backspin but you should really only use (especially full back) when absolutely necessary because any meter miss with full BS is a recipe for disaster.

More important than putting spin on the ball....learn to nail putts from 15-25 feet for those times you do miss the meter or the beast bites you.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:16 PM

Yep,

I have started to use top spin more, although I barely get a yard or so extra with it.

I have started to limit the BS a bit recently as well.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 28 2011 11:07 PM

Jake, company secrets nine. lol JB

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 6:03 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Don't forget about topspin (when in between clubs) either.

An oft missed opportunity. When faced with the choice of backing off (choking down) an iron to get where you're going you can also drop down a club and use top spin to push that club to its limits, therefore controlling the total distance easier.

For instance, faced with a 120 or so yard approach to a hole you could back off a 9i(130) with backspin or push a PW(115)with top spin depending on wind,of course. The 9i is a guess because of how much you have to estimate the choke. But with the PW you can max the swing and utilize the roll out at the end to run up to the hole. I've found that full swings work better than partial when you can use them and top spin will offset a wind in your face.

RSS