Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 2:23 PM

YankeeJim:
    Not even a guess. Jakestanfill has already seen his shots get 15 feet closer because of this ball.

I'm dinging more shots but I don't see the increase distance as yet over the legends distance ball.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 6:35 PM

ironking34:
    I'm dinging more shots but I don't see the increase distance as yet over the legends distance ball.

He was talking about his approach shots and how backspin helped him.

Page 9 in this thread.........."Not sure about any other clubs than the g10s you play and the i15s I play but both these sets allow for about 5yds quicker stop with 3-5 irons on many occasions with the Callaway balls."

From Bollux on page  8........."I'm enjoying the new balls.  Still struggling a little on getting the spin dialed in, but that shouldn't take more than another week.  "

But that shouldn't take more than a week-if that doesn't speak volumes.

• PaulH0070
    1,339 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 9:37 AM

well just played my first game against the callaway ball. really nice guy and a good player, but hand on heart with an SD i would have had him.

insane spin, he hit the downslope on KIA 5 just short of the pin and stopped within 2 ft. any other ball and that's half way down the slope at best. total bollocks and a mockery of golf physics. another couple that stopped dead when they really shouldn't and sorry, but my interest is gone.

i'll go back to my first comment on these balls, WGT you've made the game a joke.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:40 PM

GoldCard:
    Then let THEM answer for themselves

They did. Read  a little. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 12:58 PM

YankeeJim:
    Jakestanfill has already seen his shots get 15 feet closer because of this ball.

Not sure I said that.  Maybe on a couple holes that were tough to stick.  Seeing as how my average approach is already 11 ft from pin, 15 ft closer would be hard to do.  :)

The balls do provide an advantage certain holes like STA 2, 4, 8 new pin,15 Kia 4, 5 9 18 BPB 3 with tail, 5 new pin, 9, 16, 17...haven't played Oak much with new ball so can't exactly say.  Even with the spin advantage on these holes, you still have to hit an absolutely PERFECT shot these holes to get within the right area code.

Those are the only holes that I really ever play full BS on so all other holes are pretty equal difficulty IMO with GI SD and GI2SD2 balls.

The spin on these balls can actually get you in trouble with shorter clubs if full BS is applied.  From that standpoint it could be an equalizer for Legends against other tiers because they simply don't need the spin of this ball on most holes.

disclaimer-  This is coming from the viewpoint as someone skilled with g10s and i15s.  These balls would be huge advantage for someone with Craptures or low ball flight of the TM irons.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:25 PM

jakestanfill7:
    Not sure I said that.

"Not sure about any other clubs than the g10s you play and the i15s I play but both these sets allow for about 5yds quicker stop with 3-5 irons on many occasions with the Callaway balls."  http://wgt.com/forums/t/35412.aspx?PageIndex=9

Did you misspeak maybe?

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:59 PM

Nope, said just what I meant.  Just a misinterpretation on your part.  5yds quicker stop doesn't mean closer at all.  Ball allows for different kinds of shots to pins but sounds like you assume I was always 15 feet long on shots with 3-5 irons.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:55 PM

jakestanfill7:
    5yds quicker stop doesn't mean closer at all.  Ball allows for different kinds of shots to pins but sounds like you assume I was always 15 feet long on shots with 3-5 irons.

Not at all. I do know you were faced with the inability to stick the greens and adapted your game to provide for this. The inception of spin into your approach now makes your statement obvious-you won't have to always deal with that runout.

Can you say this ball won't enhance your ability? I think not. My $ is on you or Bollux to card the first 55.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:19 PM

YankeeJim:
    My $ is on you or Bollux to card the first 55.

I'll take that bet, Jim, give you odds of 9 for 5....no freaking way Jake can shoot 55.....................

at least not if he's quitting......uh retired.....uh semi....uh????   lol 

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:48 PM

I would just like to congratulate two of WGT's best players - BiB and Jake - for trying the new ball, working with it and seeing the positives rather than just complaining like a lot of the other legends that they can no longer compete.

Good on ya, lads!

And if these two can do it, then no reason why everyone else can't do the same if they really want to.

RSS