Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • ironking34
    749 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 10:20 AM

Ok, let me get this right, there is a better ball than the legends ball and it's available to everyone.  I remember after months of complaining about the unfair advantage the legends had from the back tees that we were given the legend ball to try and make up some of the distance.  Now there is a new balls that brings back the unfair advantage, it doesn't make any sense to me, thank you WGT for trying but someone is brain dead over there.  These new callaway balls should be legend only or we all need to tee off from the same tee.  I can't remember the last time I say tiger or phil teeing off further back than someone else playing in a tournament.  And if anyone thinks I'm just blowing smoke, check out the difference in score since the new upgrade.  There was a STA front 9 ready go where 10 people shot 29 or better (Thanks a joke).

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:15 AM

zagraniczniak:
    Good point, but this could be explained by the new "average" system.

I agree, you really can't compare averages from the old system to the new.  But when I woke up on September 1st with my 64.05 average, I looked around and saw many TM's with averages between 62 - 64 and could never really figure out why I was a legend and they weren't.  I wasn't upset, just a little confused.

I gotta agree with Ironking...  If you're going to allow everyone  access to all the same equipment, then we should all be hitting from the same tees in multi-tier tournaments - RG's & MPC.

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:25 AM

I see all the emphasis here put on how these overpriced baubles hold the greens and perhaps a yard or two extra distance?

From a legends viewpoint, 3 missed putts in 9 holes means you are losing money in RG's so shouldn't more be said about how they putt?

My last 10 rounds or so, all on Kaiwah Back now (because of the unfair payout system!) have varied from -4 to -7 with almost all of these missed putts well under 10 feet. (Miss by ½ inch or 4 feet is still a miss)

What incentive is there to waste money just so you need to relearn how a new ball will react?

I play either the old R9 275 driver, the tri master or the 280yd legend driver depending on my mood and have not noticed any consistent improvement from the more expensive clubs.

Is this new ball the same ... just an expensive bauble to lure the unwary?

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:27 AM

Mem11:
    I agree, you really can't compare averages from the old system to the new.  But when I woke up on September 1st with my 64.05 average, I looked around and saw many TM's with averages between 62 - 64 and could never really figure out why I was a legend and they weren't.  I wasn't upset, just a little confused.

Apparently anyone who had ever had their average under 62 at one point were elevated to the legend tier. Those between 62-64 like you mentioned had never been below 62. Maybe not fair but that is your answer.

• Mem11
    199 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 12:12 PM

borntobesting:
    Apparently anyone who had ever had their average under 62 at one point were elevated to the legend tier.

Hadn't heard that before, but I guess that could answer it.  It's been a while, but I probably had my average in the 60 to 62 range at some point as a Master.

GoldCard:
    From a legends viewpoint, 3 missed putts in 9 holes means you are losing money in RG's so shouldn't more be said about how they putt?

WGT has stated in the past, that all different types of balls will react exactly the same once on the green.  The only variable that is effected is Feel(meter speed).  I've probably used 4 different types of balls and would concur and would assume the new Callaways are no different. 

I assume your experience is different, so maybe WGTIcon can address this again...

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:34 PM

Mem11:

WGT has stated in the past, that all different types of balls will react exactly the same once on the green.  The only variable that is effected is Feel(meter speed).  I've probably used 4 different types of balls and would concur and would assume the new Callaways are no different. 

I assume your experience is different, so maybe WGTIcon can address this again...

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not asking for wgt's answer. (We all know the standard replies)

What would be nice would be the truth from experienced players that have actually used these products.

Are any legends actually scoring lower with them rather than playing the odd good shot?

I firmly believe that for a good competent legend, these balls are unnecessary in most cases as putting is still the most important stroke in this game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:37 PM

GoldCard:
    I firmly believe that for a good competent legend, these balls are unnecessary in most cases as putting is still the most important stroke in this game.

You're right about the putting and these balls will put the competent Legends in their putting zone. 

It won't be long before the first 55 shows up...........

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:55 PM

YankeeJim:

you're right about the putting and these balls will put the competent Legends in their putting zone. 

It won't be long before the first 55 shows up...........

More speculation!

I use Tour S-D balls the same as you do YJ so you are guessing again.

Let the players that use these balls give their opinions before this turns into just another talk for the sake of talking thread.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 2:01 PM

GoldCard:
    I use Tour S-D balls the same as you do YJ so you are guessing again.

Not even a guess. Jakestanfill has already seen his shots get 15 feet closer because of this ball. The stopping power has been documented by Priestess and Bollux in comments they made. Even chrisbones came around after working with it. 

It doesn't take much to figure that this will be a very positive thing for Legends and will help them become greater Legends. My opinion, for the sake of talking.

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 29 2011 2:04 PM

YankeeJim:

Not even a guess. Jakestanfill has already seen his shots get 15 feet closer because of this ball. The stopping power has been documented by Priestess and Bollux in comments they made. Even chrisbones came around after working with it. 

Then let THEM answer for themselves

RSS