Forums

Help › Forums

New Callaway Balls

Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:46 PM (130 replies)
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 9:35 AM

jbenny11:
    If you are not a Legend how can you possibly have an informed opinion on what you have not experienced.

Fair enough. (I've never struck a Legend ball, although we have all had some occasion to play the Legend conditions under special circumstances, such as USGA qualifier.)

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:38 AM

Ok Zags, got a little overboard on the insult. The biggest thing you have to understand is that to a middle of the pack Legend there is no course that you can just go out shoot a super low number just to have fun. My easiest 9 as a Master was back 9 at Kia. For the Legends that now is the hardest 9. #18 there is just a beast, ding a drive and still have (w/any headwind) 220 + yards into a green that is not exactly easy to get close from anywhere. Anyway it's not about how hard it is, it's that WGT created a huge rift between tiers and it is frustrating to hear somebody like the guy I was speaking of talking out of his backside. JB

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:01 AM

Tried the new ball - I think the spin one and theyre great. Game feels like it did before the big change.

Now im sitting here scratching my head, wondering how wgt got me to pay $2.50 a pack to play the same game i was playing before for a fraction of the price.

Thats progress for ya!

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:29 AM

jbenny11:
    Old saying tis better for people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. JB

Well, I guess you just removed all doubt then!

• gfsullivan
    196 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:39 AM

2.50-3.00 for a sleeve of virtual balls is too much. Too much too even try. Love the feedback Ive been reading but I cant accept losing a real dollar to an imaginary ball in an imaginary burn at St Andys.

I get the whole need to make $$ for WGT but, has anyone figured how much it costs annually to play this game competitively? The highest price for current console games is 60 bucks, thinking this is much more.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 12:36 PM

GoldCard:

YankeeJim:

Not even a guess. Jakestanfill has already seen his shots get 15 feet closer because of this ball. The stopping power has been documented by Priestess and Bollux in comments they made. Even chrisbones came around after working with it. 

Then let THEM answer for themselves

WE did answer if you would have checked, but if lazy, i'll update for you. Personally, i used the Callaway (S) for a round, hated them, always coming up short, then bogeybuster reminded me that spin will affect distance(playing ages without realising this. Thanks BogeyB). After adjusting to yardage lost due to spin, i loved them, slow meter for my putter an all! Can stop up to 145 yard irons dead, onto one of those markers that the pros put down on greens to mark their ball when they pick it up!

Today i used the Callaway (Z) for first time (distance), I didn't really notice any difference or gain in yardage really, only on drives, ball travells 275 yards before bouncing first time. But i much prefer these than the spins because of all the working out due to wind, then adding for distance, then subtracting for spin etc etc, but today i shot my lowest score of 59 in a ready go with these balls, so is it the balls that made me play better?

And YankeeJim, "even Chris bones came around"...do i complain that much all the time..LOL, sorry guys

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:34 PM

What a friggin awesome ball! Wow! I am impressed!

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 6:05 PM

I am absolutely in love with the i(s) balls. More distance, more spin, longer life, better feel (than the Tour GI-SD balls I USED to play).

Distance - A little longer, not great, but nice.

Spin - You like tinkering with your game? These balls are the ultimate. Punch your short wedge with topspin or hit it full with backspin? Could actually be a consideration sometimes now. This ball will stop and hold greens like you've never seen.

Durability - You think $2.50 is too much to pay? With better distance and awesome spin, durability is the deciding factor in what makes these balls such a good deal. My first one did not wear out until after I hit my tee shot on hole #72. Consider the cost extra incentive to avoid OB and water.

Feel - I benched my Daytona in favor of my high end Redwood some time ago. Never did learn to ding it with consistency. Now I can. And my woods and irons? I do ding more often, but the real bonus is that my mishits are so much more playable.

Thanks WGT, awesome ball.

Disclaimer: I do not, never did and do not plan to work for WGT.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 6:41 PM

ThreeSpot:
    Spin - You like tinkering with your game? These balls are the ultimate. Punch your short wedge with topspin or hit it full with backspin? Could actually be a consideration sometimes now. This ball will stop and hold greens like you've never seen.

It does require a bit of tinkering and understanding exactly how much backspin to use but the advantage is awesome once you get it down pat.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 7:00 PM

I will need to treat myself. It's my birthday today, so more $ to WGT.

Still I won't be wasting them on RGs.

RSS