Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 2:24 AM

"Although I am slightly happy to see these changes, I can't help but notice that it says nothing about any changes that would put an end to MPC sandbagging"

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME. 

MPC sandbagging will always be present as long as a "profit" is involved. IMHO 

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 2:49 AM

GoldCard:

I tend to believe this may be just another in the long list of changes that substantially increase profits for wgt.

Everyone trys to get better and to post lower and lower scores "Human nature"

The average person can take a long time to really learn this game (many never will) but once in a while, everybody has that round out of the blue where it all clicks and the putts just keep falling in.

These lucky days will now work in wgt's favor because (similar to real golf) a persons tier will change prematurely forcing new club purchases in a wasted attempt to compete with those already on the new level.

The sandbagging issue will probably be minimized by TM's being promoted to legend which is a step forward but I personally think this is all just another money making scheme thinly disguised as wgt listening to the paying customers.

If it is anything like what I had suggested to them, it will not lower the scores of those who are are playing normally, and it will only lower the scores of those who are sandbagging.

Unfortunately, this fix does not address MPC sandbagging.

• Millarddean
    1 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 3:58 AM

I should reach level 32 at 12,915. I currently have 13,850 How come it didn't change.

Thanks Millard

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:17 AM

About fringe putting, where does the problem lie?

Simply select a higher putting value, problem solved. I putt from the fringe all the time with no problems whatsoever. The caddy normally selects a putting value of 90 with the Rossi putter when a shot lands on the fringe.

As far as the new average calculations helping quitting, and sandbagging, that's something that will have to be seen to believe, IMO. I hope it's successful nonetheless.

GL

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 6:45 AM

It appears that it is not anything like what you suggested to them. I was moved to Master last month with a 73.12 average. As of last night when I singed off, I had an average of 72.34.

Like many other players, this morning my average has been lowered to 68.46, and I have yet to play a round. I would expect this is in regard to my three rounds of  -6,  -5  and  -5 last week in CC Tournaments played on standard greens. If the new average scores are based on new tiers with longer tee's, and faster greens, how is this possible. Why should I continue to play rounds with my CC friends if it will advance to a tier I am not ready for?

All players ( except the legends ) will now be prematurely advanced because they have a lucky day now and then, but they will not be able to compete with those who have played that tier since the upgrade.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:03 AM

Rich, really no probs from fringe? Hhhhhhhmmmm your not doing something right if you think there is not an issue with the fringe.JB

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:07 AM

Richard4168:
    About fringe putting, where does the problem lie?

There's no problem whatsoever.

That is, until you run across the problem.  At which point you get pretty furious if the game is for money.

On a normal fringe putt, you just add 1-3 ft onto the putt, depending on how far you are into the fringe.  If the putt is short and/or downhill, however, and you hit the ball soft, the ball goes nowhere.  Putts hit with even up to 6-8 ft of power will go 2-4 inches, and a stroke is completely wasted.  A putt that should've been pretty decent becomes one of the worst shots you've ever made.

Even the vast majority of "bad shots" improve your position significantly, and it is pretty rare that you use a stroke and you are no better off than you were before you took it.  Outside of hitting into the water, there are few strokes that are completely and utterly wasted.  Pitches/flops/putts from the back/top of the BPB #15 might go screaming past the hole, but that's because you screwed up your approach, but you just got unlucky... 80% of the time, you don't screw up that approach, and you just got unlucky.  You might miss a short putt on some random hole, but you gave yourself a shot to sink it... the stroke was worth it, even if you don't sink it 100% of the time.

With a stuck fringe putt, you accomplish nothing.  It never had a chance of being a good shot because it never moved.

So let's say you do the smart thing after you get owned by the fringe and decide to chip.  You can use your imagination about how stupid the chip out of there has to be if you were trying to putt with under 9 ft of power.  The 60-yard wedge has a 7-yrd chip, and I think the 50-yard wedge is a 6-yard chip.  If you were trying to putt with 4 ft of power, that is 19% of the 7-yard chip and 22% of the 6-yard chip.  You can take a guess how good the result is going to be when you put in 28-35% power.  Who knows what's going to happen.  You might whiff it again, or you might go 10 ft past the hole.

Or you can try to putt, this time with way too much power. The correct amount of power was 3-5 ft, but you're going to give it a good whack using 10-11 ft of power.  Right after you watch your ball roll 15-20 ft past the hole, you will probably immediately ALT+TAB and leave a profanity-laced message for WGTSky and WGTadmin2 to read in the morning.

If you're on the fringe, uphill from the hole, and it's a delicate shot, you might as well be in the nastiest lip of the nastiest bunker in the entire world of golf.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:14 AM

oh never mind, there is a major issue with the fringe. The issue is magnified on tourney, champ greens Richard. JB

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 7:16 AM

Mark the day and time, me and charlie agree. lol. Ok wgt says most realistic golf game on the net, sub 7 hdc. my whole life. I have hit literally thousands of shots from the fringe in real life. Number of times I have whiffed from fringe = 0. Nuf said fix it WGT. JB

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 8:06 AM

bigdaddie1:

All players ( except the legends ) will now be prematurely advanced because they have a lucky day now and then, but they will not be able to compete with those who have played that tier since the upgrade.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of with this new system. My average has gone from a 67 at the end of August to a 72+ since the update. I was over 72 the last time I played a couple of days ago. Now I'm looking at a 71.98. I've been shooting about par with the odd "lucky round" tempered with mostly disastrous rounds shooting +5's and +7's. I don't know how many of these bad rounds I've had but they've been the majority over the "good rounds" I've managed below par.

If I'm reading this right, my average will go down nicely, probably advancing me to Tour Master from Master making the game more challenging from that tier, resulting in more +5 and +7 rounds all the while watching my average drop based on the few and far between good rounds I might have.

Gee, that makes a lot of sense.

* BEARlyTher facepalms

RSS