Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:10 PM

Maybe I am missing something here.... I thought high scores were already not counted in ave.,,,,,,my thinking was that you only counted like the top 10 best of ur last twenty (not sure of the exact #`s, but something like that)  which meant that ur worst scores did not count already

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:15 PM

Beryman, it is currently the best 10 of the last 14 with more weight to the most recent.  Which means to sandbag all one has to do is play a few bad rounds to knock a good score off the back end... then shoot the lights out in a torney, rinse and repeat....  The way that is being proposed is to use the average your top X number of best scores of all time + some # of minimum ranked rounds played, in order to advance tiers.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:21 PM

And average to legends means? JB

• henry4434
    51 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:24 PM

Wow ! That means sooner or later everybody will become LEGEND .

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:27 PM

Under what system of weights and measures does what is being planned have anything to do with averages?...it's a bogus rating, and if high scores are discounted it will be utterly meaningless.  As it is already to Legends.

Try focussing on things that matter WGT....Fringe putting, new pins, better communication from yourselves

• JWHIBB
    265 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:36 PM
    1. Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier.

I Really like this change, because there is definitely an adjustment period when you advance to a higher level tier.

2.      Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a     bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish    all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.        

At first blush I like the concept of this as getting people to finish all rounds would be a definite positive.  However, when you do this, you are definitely not getting a true average score.  Yes, it will be the same for everyone, but it is not a true average.  I am not sure if this would work, but what if you had a formula that would extrapolate the final score of a round when someone quit in the middle of a game?  If they quit before 9 holes, it would compute it as though it was a 9 hole round.  If they quit after 9, it would calculate it as a full 18 rounds.  It would seem relatively easy to write the code that would take the average score on par 3's, par 4's and par 5's of the current round and apply them to the remaining holes.  This might encourage people to stick with a bad round in order to make it a better round and it would give us a true average score rating. One other item that might need to be added, is that there might have to be some sort of automatic buffering in place so that if someone is shooting an exceptional round...way better than normal, they couldn't quit way early in order to improve their average.  If they quit early and the system calculates their score as below their current average, then it could automatically calculate their average score by using their current average score for the round that they just quit early.  By doing this, no one could take advantage of the system to reach tiers pre-maturely and it would help keep their average score closer to reality.

3.  Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games, which will take a little more time but will help players reach the Levels necessary to unlock upgraded equipment that is helpful to compete at higher Tiers.

I like this one as well.  It should do what you suggest, in that it will allow a player to be able to purchase the appropriate equipment for their new tier. 

Keep up the good work and thanks for asking feedback on these sorts of things!

• blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:37 PM

henry4434:

That's what I thought at first (see my earlier post in this thread) - Should simplify things though, as there will only be one tee box and one green speed !!

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:26 PM

jbenny11:

And average to legends means? JB

Still nothing... Same as in real life... Average means nothing on the PGA tour!

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:30 PM

henry4434:

It propably means anything but that. You'll propably have to play an endless amount of games to reach legend. So only experienced players will be able to become legends and there will be no more fuss about people not being ready for the next tier. And most importantly, it seems a cure has finally been found for the epidemic that has swept WGT for a long time. Alas, the time has come to finally say farewell to quitting.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:41 PM
    Yes, no ticky, no laundry
RSS