Help › Forums

British Open

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:45 AM (82 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 5:33 AM

donsprintr:
    My theory at one time was that WGT was going to substitute it for Oakmont, the same way they substituted Oakmont for Pebble in 2010

Oakmont was the site of the LPGA Open that year and because PB was not available to WGT they used Oakmont for the VUSO. If there are 3rd pins coming for 2016 then WGT either has them now (I doubt) or they will be heading there to get them when the time comes. That should be interesting.

donsprintr:
    They might have Pebble ready to go for the annual Pro-Am next year

Like Mike pointed out, it should be ready way earlier than that. IMO, WGT has something up their sleeve.  ;-)

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 6:12 AM

YankeeJim:

donsprintr:
    My theory at one time was that WGT was going to substitute it for Oakmont, the same way they substituted Oakmont for Pebble in 2010

Oakmont was the site of the LPGA Open that year and because PB was not available to WGT they used Oakmont for the VUSO. If there are 3rd pins coming for 2016 then WGT either has them now (I doubt) or they will be heading there to get them when the time comes. That should be interesting.

donsprintr:
    They might have Pebble ready to go for the annual Pro-Am next year

Like Mike pointed out, it should be ready way earlier than that. IMO, WGT has something up their sleeve.  ;-)

Here's the thread about the 3rd set of pins on Oakmont ...

160695.aspx?PageIndex=44

Oh i agree, they might have Pebble ready to go way before the Pro-Am next year, I was just speculating more or less about what they could do with this special roll-out.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 6:56 AM

russellfahey:

I maybe wrong but didn't WGT put some form of Tourny on last year for players from the UK only,when the British open came around?

Russell

EDIT maybe i was dreaming lol but pretty sure there was a Tourny for UK players only,but may of been a wgt nation thing.

Dunno the occasion, but there was one with some flag switching involved. Perhaps it's mentioned in former News editions(?)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 7:56 AM

donsprintr:

Here's the thread about the 3rd set of pins on Oakmont ...

160695.aspx?PageIndex=44

Cool, missed that. Thanks.

Heh, I think I'm impressed that they had that kind of foresight, taking shots of pins that wouldn't be used for 7 years. :-)

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:05 PM

russellfahey:

I maybe wrong but didn't WGT put some form of Tourny on last year for players from the UK only,when the British open came around?

Russell

EDIT maybe i was dreaming lol but pretty sure there was a Tourny for UK players only,but may of been a wgt nation thing.

I'll shut up now :)

a tourney at St. Andrews and RSG if I recall.

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:07 PM

YankeeJim:
    Heh, I think I'm impressed that they had that kind of foresight, taking shots of pins that wouldn't be used for 7 years. :-)

Too bad they didn't do that to all the courses.

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 1:54 PM

YankeeJim:
    I think I'm impressed that they had that kind of foresight, taking shots of pins that wouldn't be used for 7 years. :-)

Truly looking forward to putting on Oakmont greens with "second-set-of-pins-at-Kiawah" camera angles, should be a blast ;)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jul 12 2014 6:42 PM

LOLserver:

I always go back to the same thing, WGT is more busy hatching new customers than making & giving credits away in non-american related events, after all, this is an american company.

I don't think there will be any British Open next week or ever again.

Eric 

I agree too Eric.  When I first started there was always a US Open and The British Open...  hence the Introduction of St.Andrews and RSG... I'm still spewing about Rsg... shot a 58 on my 2nd attempt and couldn't get anywhere near that after...let alone making the cut....lol

russellfahey:

Russell

I'll shut up now :)

Yes there was one of those comps.   We have the American only comps and have had the British only comps....maybe start em up again and throw in a Asian Only comp too, then us Aussies can play in that one.
    I've been watching the Scotish Open (oh Rory...as I'm shaking my head...lol) and Ladies British open on the telly.   Geez there is some great Links course there.    Just fantastic to watch both comps
    I was over in England in 89 and we based us all in Southport.   Walking past Royal Birkdale, I was saying to a mate....  where's the golf course..... Couldn't see it from the road...tucked in behind all the mounds...lol  just be able to see a few green patches.
  • cycle0
    38 Posts
    Sat, Jul 12 2014 7:26 PM

Pardon the interruption, but was not this post about the British Open?

Understandable that most English would not be interested, since a quick perusal of the "Race to Dubai" finds no English in the top 20.  

But still people, it is the British Open, and surely there is a modern Lee Trevino or Tom Watson out there ready to capture the hearts and minds of the English populace?

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:46 AM

watching the scottish and womens british open just makes hope that someday in the next 10 years wgt makes the trip across the pond to do some photography on a links course, its a shame we only have st andrews and RSG to play.

hopefully they get a sponsor or some funds to come over and photograph one of the open championship courses in the future as they are so much fun to play on wgt.

they should at least gives us all the pins available for st andrews and RSG, it would be like playing a new course with new pins.

RSS