Help › Forums

British Open

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:45 AM (82 replies)
  • unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 12:13 PM

TarheelsRule:
    That being said I guess we won't be having any more British Opens on here, even if the play is at the courses that we have.

If they call it the Virtual "British" Open they should get away with it as It's real name is simply THE Open Championship. 

It would irk a few stuffy Brits (me included to be honest) who don't like it being called "British"....But at least we would get a second virtual major to play for, and WGT could spread the prizes for qualifying and completing all 4 rounds with credits, instead of one super prize for the winner .

Just a thought

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 5:56 PM

unclenewy:

TarheelsRule:
    That being said I guess we won't be having any more British Opens on here, even if the play is at the courses that we have.

If they call it the Virtual "British" Open they should get away with it as It's real name is simply THE Open Championship. 

It would irk a few stuffy Brits (me included to be honest) who don't like it being called "British"....But at least we would get a second virtual major to play for, and WGT could spread the prizes for qualifying and completing all 4 rounds with credits, instead of one super prize for the winner .

Just a thought

maybe the R & A are a bit pi$$ed off that wgt call it the british open.

dont know who started calling it the british open but it seems the only people to call it the open championship are people from the uk or ireland.

the R & A dont seem to put a country or nationality on the title of the golf tournaments: the open championship and the amateur championship

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 6:40 PM

MartyFlanagan:
    the R & A dont seem to put a country or nationality on the title of the golf tournaments: the open championship and the amateur championship

That's because they're the originals, so they didn't need to, there were no other open golf tournaments that existed. In fact, the amateur open was classed as one of the majors for a while.

I figure it's since the US open came to being and the Americans call this "The Open" (which is fair enough, any other country would do the same), that they started to call it The British Open to differentiate the two.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 12:31 AM

unclenewy:

MartyFlanagan:

That's because they're the originals, so they didn't need to, there were no other open golf tournaments that existed. In fact, the amateur open was classed as one of the majors for a while.

I figure it's since the US open came to being and the Americans call this "The Open" (which is fair enough, any other country would do the same), that they started to call it The British Open to differentiate the two.

I've always known it as 'The Open'

The reason why I named the thread the British Open,  was, everybody looking at the Heading would know straight away what it is about.  Sorry if I offended anybody.

We get a Live Telecast starting at 6pm down here on our Pay TV (Foxtel).

Yesterdays golf was fantastic .  Rory was good to watch, but he started great the last week (I think) and shot a 78 in the 2nd round.

Tiger had a bad start... then got going again with a few birds on the trot, but fell back again.  Watching him play, he looked a bit sad..as in he doesn't really want to be there.

Adam Scott...2 shots off the Lead.  Good Place to be

The US Virtual Open Quals went too long, then the 4 rounds of the Final, which finished way after the Real US Open.   Wgt could have Sqeezed in a British Virtual Open in there aswell,  if pre planned and allowed to do it.

Maybe Next Year

-Roger

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 2:13 AM

mantis0014:
    The reason why I named the thread the British Open,  was, everybody looking at the Heading would know straight away what it is about.  Sorry if I offended anybody.

No offence taken. My point wasn't to state the true name of The Open, although I cringe a little whenever I hear "British Open" I understand why people call it so. Instead I was trying to point out that by calling it the Virtual BRITISH Open they would be breaking no rules imo.

mantis0014:
    The US Virtual Open Quals went too long, then the 4 rounds of the Final, which finished way after the Real US Open.   Wgt could have Sqeezed in a British Virtual Open in there aswell,  if pre planned and allowed to do it.

This is true.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 5:26 AM

mantis0014:
    Tiger had a bad start... then got going again with a few birds on the trot, but fell back again.  Watching him play, he looked a bit sad..as in he doesn't really want to be there.

3 strokes back after a bogey-bogey start? Doesn't look so sad to me.  :-)

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 10:33 AM

Something is very wrong....Rory is having 2 good days in a row.

Eric

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 11:24 AM

LOLserver:

Eric

He's just getting some good scores in,before the wind/rainstorms at weekend where he will drop a few shots

Russell.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 12:42 PM

russellfahey:

LOLserver:

Eric

He's just getting some good scores in,before the wind/rainstorms at weekend where he will drop a few shots

Russell.

Lol Russell, you probably right. 

Eric

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 18 2014 2:18 PM

russellfahey:

LOLserver:

Eric

Russell.

Two  6 unders...  very unusual by Rory....lol

The Open is at St.Andrews next year.  We have the course so Wgt should start planning for it now.

RSS