Help › Forums

British Open

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:45 AM (82 replies)
  • alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Jul 13 2014 3:22 AM

When it came to Royal Lytham in 2012, there was rumour that the club would
    not allow for the implementation in the game. Last year, Muirfield and now, Liverpool, I don't remember any public discussion of reasons against it. Did they even try? We can only guess about it.

As another guess, the contractual situation there seems quite different to the USA, where the USGA apparently has more influence on the single clubs(?)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jul 13 2014 5:22 AM

alosso:

When it came to Royal Lytham in 2012, there was rumour that the club would
    not allow for the implementation in the game. Last year, Muirfield and now, Liverpool, I don't remember any public discussion of reasons against it. Did they even try? We can only guess about it.

As another guess, the contractual situation there seems quite different to the USA, where the USGA apparently has more influence on the single clubs(?)

It is the case with many, but USGA prestige goes only so far. Clubs like Pine Valley, The Los Angeles Country Club and Cypress Point won't give them the time of day.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Jul 13 2014 7:11 AM

SweetiePie:

]It is the case with many, but USGA prestige goes only so far. Clubs like Pine Valley, The Los Angeles Country Club and Cypress Point won't give them the time of day.

I live close to Pine Valley. They won't give the time of day to anyone. They host no Pro Tourneys because they don't want them. Once a year they have a Club Championship and allow a limited amount of outsiders on the course to watch. Having attended it one time, I've never felt so unwanted in my life. ;)

Chances of a course like that here are absolute zero.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:30 AM

I'm surprised the powers allowed St.A to be mapped out.  I suppose 4-5 years ago golf might have been left behind and kind of floundering a bit.   So they might have wanted the publicity.. maybe, I'm saying maybe because St.Andrews is a hard course to get on to have a game.

With a game like Wgt... It's basically free exposure to everybody across the world. I know if I ever win Lotto,  I'll be planning a Wgt Tour, playing all the courses on Wgt. Now that would be great.

Congrats to Mo Martin who won the Women's British Open last week...and what a great shot she played on the last hole.

The Men start on Thursday, and the Live telecast down here in Aus, starts at 6pm, looking forward to that.   I think Tiger starts early too.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 5:00 AM

cycle0:
    Understandable that most English would not be interested, since a quick perusal of the "Race to Dubai" finds no English in the top 20.  

Swing and a miss!!

There are four British players in the top TEN, one of whom is an Englishman.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 5:34 AM

Justin Rose is cleaning up lately.  In Hot form and won't surprise me if he wins this week.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 7:05 AM

mantis0014:

Justin Rose is cleaning up lately.  In Hot form and won't surprise me if he wins this week.

Agreed,and it wouldn't be the 1st time the winner of the Scottish goes on to win 'The Open'.

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Wed, Jul 16 2014 3:39 AM

Rose is Fav with the bookies which says everything about his form lately.

But Kaymer at 27's is too good to let slip..he will miss the bad weather which is forecast for friday late afternoon and with Poldi winnin the VUSO and the footy team winnin the world cup, it has to be ...  :)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 2:10 AM

stevenharkin:
    But Kaymer at 27's is too good to let slip..he will miss the bad weather which is forecast for friday late afternoon and with Poldi winnin the VUSO and the footy team winnin the world cup, it has to be ...  :)

Omen bet ....lol

Conditions are pretty kind for the morning groups.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Thu, Jul 17 2014 3:54 AM

mantis0014:

stevenharkin:

Omen bet ....lol

Conditions are pretty kind for the morning groups.

According to the weather reports over here,it's going to be hot today with tomorrow being the hottest day of the year,reaching a whopping 31 celcius lol.But the forecast for the weekend is for rain and thunderstorms,which will definitely make things a lil interesting :)

Russell

RSS