Forums

Help › Forums

LegendCrusher Memorial!!!

Sat, Aug 1 2015 3:02 AM (204 replies)
  • overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 1:39 PM

Edit;

THIS TOPIC IS INACCURATE AND IS BASED ON MISINFORMATION OF A COMM. MEMBERS DEATH. YOU MAY WANT TO RECANT ANY and ALL STATEMENTS RELATED TOO THIS ILL ADVISED TOPIC. 

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 2:17 PM

I played with him twice in match play. He was one of the good guys in WGT.

• jcgfree
    1,109 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 4:45 PM

lvietri:

I need to ask one more time ... If any or Rich's close friends are out there .. might anyone have a link to the obituary ?   

Not only might some folks want to send a sympathy card to the family ... but it also may be the reason the WGT team hasn't commented.   There are so many cruel hoaxes out there they might want to be sure everything is on the up and up .... at least I hope that's the reason.

This is all I have from our CC. I'm still trying to get more.

1-Tell us a little about what you do and the area you live in.

Ok, here goes...

As you all know, my name is Rich.  I live in a small town just north of Orlando Fl. called Oviedo.  Oviedo was recently voted in the top 10 places to live in the United States and it shows because this town is beautiful.  I live about 2 minutes from the University of Central Florida (UCF).  I recently moved here after accepting a transfer to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.  Previous to living here, I worked for the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office in Indiana as a K-9 road deputy.  I got my start in law enforcement while I was in the Army so don't hate me...lol It's all I know how to do.

• EnglishRosey
    733 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:30 PM

I was just wondering how you knew Rich has passed on? Who was actually informed?

Rich asked to suspended his account on March 8th and neither his name or his daughters show up when you search their names, meaning they have or have had their accounts terminated.  

There were no deaths listed in Oviedo Florida either on April 5th, and no police officers or anyone called Richard in the last 90 days.

http://floridaobits.tributes.com/browse_obituaries?city=Oviedo&state=FL

I hope he is alive and ask how this all started?

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 7:15 PM

I didn't know Rich but it's nice to see many players caring enough to pay tribute to the man. It shows that kind, friendly and decent people in the game can have a profound influence on those around them even through a virtual community.

It motivated me to write this thread. I've been messaged by a WGT mod who thinks it is a good idea, so I've asked them to pass it up to see if they can put in in the pipeline for development.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 7:29 PM

thebigeasy707:
    passing of one of WGT's finest guys....LegendCrusher.

Not the most popular thing to say but....... prove it!

Prove he passed away.

From JCG in this thread-

This is all I have from our CC. I'm still trying to get more.

1-Tell us a little about what you do and the area you live in.

Ok, here goes...

As you all know, my name is Rich.  I live in a small town just north of Orlando Fl. called Oviedo.  Oviedo was recently voted in the top 10 places to live in the United States and it shows because this town is beautiful.  I live about 2 minutes from the University of Central Florida (UCF).  I recently moved here after accepting a transfer to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.  Previous to living here, I worked for the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office in Indiana as a K-9 road deputy.  I got my start in law enforcement while I was in the Army so don't hate me...lol It's all I know how to do.

Here is the Officer Down Memorial Page-

http://www.odmp.org/search/year/2014

No cops, active duty/ or retired died in Florida in 2014 with a daughter named Courtney.

jcgfree quote in the "R.I.P. LC" thread-

I wish I had more news on an Obituary, but I don't know his last name. His daughter sent a message to a player in our CC 5 or 6 days after his passing, which was April 5th.

So, a  female (GIRL- Guy In Real Life) wgt player with the name of dippydrop who claims to be the daughter of LC tells you he passed away.....did you ever meet her in person?

I went to http://www.legacy.com/ns/ and couldn't find a single soul that fits the description of Rich.

I gotta tell ya .....if I died, there are at least 6 people on my friends list that could point you guys in the direction of my obituary. I could also point others in the direction of the obits of about 6 or 8 other players on my friends list.

How is it that with all the friends that LC had no one knows anything about him?

If anyone can prove me wrong I'll quit the game, but if you can, it's a shame that you waited this long to do so as many of us have asked for a way to send condolences to his family.

MC

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 8:35 PM

Before everyone jumps all over you here MC, I tend to agree. I too have searched extensively on the information I have, and have come up blank. Nothing, not a sausage, so unless his name was fictitious (and is very possible if he was a police officer for safety) I see no  evidence. 

Perhaps this is why WGT too have been prudent by not responding immediately (that said they could have said something like, pending on confirmation...)

Regardless if his passing is true,or not (and I  sincerely  hope it is/was not) Rich did a lot to cement this community and was a  inspiration  to many of us. 

Add the fact there was bad blood between WGT and Rich, perhaps this was his easiest way out. Regardless he was a great person.

I have honored the Rich I knew in my own way as either way the Legendcrusher I  knew  will not be back. But until there is proof, I hope he is alive and well out there.

Now feel free to rip the shite out of me...........

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 9:06 PM

Thank you for confirming my thoughts Alan. It wasn't easy for me to write my post but something just didn't seem right and I wasn't the only one to think that, there has been a lot of talk behind closed doors that something may be suspect.

alanti:

Regardless if his passing is true,or not (and I  sincerely  hope it is/was not) Rich did a lot to cement this community and was a  inspiration  to many of us. 

Add the fact there was bad blood between WGT and Rich, perhaps this was his easiest way out. Regardless he was a great person.

X2

MC

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 9:11 PM

Coming from a law enforcement career myself, you just don't put your personal info out there so the whole world can see. Especially if you have a family to take care of. You come across & lock up many individuals (Some just don't like law enforcement at all) that would love to have that info on the arresting officer. His obituary could be private since he still has family members living in the area; for their own safety. During one of our match plays I did hear Rich chat about training dogs in the K-9 unit, so I have no doubt in my mind that's what he did for a living......  R.I.P Rich 

• GolfingJMan
    71 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 11:45 PM

Hi alanti,

alanti:
    Before everyone jumps all over you here MC...

alanti:
    Now feel free to rip the...out of me...........

I don't think people should mindlessly castigate sober-minded publications.  It is very, very bad if there is a general culture in which hysterical misjudgment and vilification of those advocating restraint, due diligence, and proper judgment is expected.

And in fact, I felt some what like you apparently did.  I have been mildly following this 'incident' since I first saw it on the forums last week I think it was.  While my initial feelings were sadness and minor depression over the idea of someone dying, I began to question whether it was/is a fabrication.  I do not know if it is or not, it might all turn out to be true.  

However, what made me even more depressed was the way I saw people responding (very likely in a good-hearted, well-intentioned way) to the news as if it was fact without what I consider adequate verification or even adequate investigation.

Not only were people offering many condolences and quickly offering to commemorate someone's purported death, I sensed that there was a certain potential for disdainful prejudicial and vitriolic lambasting of anyone advocating for prudent and critical evaluation of this ongoing incident.

Infinito3010:

mgbirish:

geraldlarousse:

alanti:

geraldlarousse:

That was the most depressing thing, knowing that there is a culture of people which can quickly rush to (mis)judgment even if they happen to be correct in this instance.

thebigeasy707:

jsweetcr:

eivets:

I think we must have properly trained ingrained habits of not rushing to misjudgment in our brains and then use those good-habit brains properly in order to better avoid disastrous consequences ourselves and avoid victimizing others with similar consequences.

And there were posts that had a general tone advocating for caution:

MainzMan:

Danmark2010:

mantis0014:

overtheedge:

lvietri:

I believe caution and calm assessment should be the culture of a community and what should be expected by any member of that community, not misguided tirades and character assassinations. Restraint and caution should not need to be injected in small amounts; it should already be part of the foundation. 

Below is what I had composed and saved in a word doc a few days ago (all links may become inactive). I saved it with a time stamp too. Because of the general culture that I've gathered from reading this forums quite a bit, I refrained from posting what I thought would be a good post because I did not want to incite misguided and "no-brained" tirades against myself as I have been subjected to similar things in the past relating to some things a lot less emotionally volatile as someone's purported death.  

Now, it seems that the atmosphere, virtually speaking, has changed a bit and I feel a little more at ease with publishing it now.  My entire post is not meant to demean anyone.  I know that he may have actually died.  Whether he did or not is not the main thrust of what I am trying to say.

GolfingJMan:
    4/17/2014 11:56 PM

Hi,

I do not intend to seem crass and insensitive I only want to inject sober consideration of the facts.  

To begin with, we (i.e., many of us) do not know all of the facts.  From my understanding, a valid death certificate is required before a life insurance claim is granted and if we do not know if he is actually deceased I do not think we can accurately reach a judgement against anyone for not creating a memorial event or any other such commemorations.  

How can any of us accurately determine if the person is actually deceased?  I am not saying it is impossible to determine if a death has occurred, but I am saying it might take significant amounts of time (i.e., weeks or months) to accurately verify that a death has occurred.

Is WGT required by the governing law to seek out the death certificates of its members?  Will there be a department with insurance-claims-agent type of people within WGT's offices that will diligently seek out the necessary facts before deciding to create a memorial event as an insurance claims agent is expected to do?

If members chose not to become verified (i.e., did not submit valid information for verified status) how can WGT even accurately determine if the death certificate that they do obtain (if they do obtain one by receiving it unsolicited or actively searching it out) is for the person whose WGT account is purported to be the one owned by the person named on the death certificate?  Even if the law doesn't not require such extensive investigations and verification, some members of this community still may emotionally demand an official memorial without such rigorous investigations and verification. 

One might argue that LeGeNdCrUsHeR could not verify his account status because the ability to verify WGT accounts is new (i.e., just implemented within the last 3 months). But, that is still beside the point that in order to prevent the quagmire of fraudulent claims or mistaken identity there needs to be verification of death before a claim is granted.  And I am not saying LeGeNdCrUsHeR was not verified, I do not know that information.  I am saying that I believe that those who also do not know that, and other relevant, information should refrain from publishing potentially embarrassing misjudgment!

Moreover, I remember he requested for his account to be closed in early March.  Or was it him?  Are we even certain he requested to close down his account?  Was it hijacked?  If he did close down his account and did not verify his account, then how can WGT be certain that the actual owner of that account actually requested it to be closed and then subsequently died? 

Of course, one can argue that we still may not be certain of a death even if we had a valid death certificate stating so, and therefore requiring one is a red herring.  But, I think it would be unwise if WGT created an event or some public memorial in anyway for the decease of any person on WGT (not just LeGeNdCrUsHeR) without adequate verification of their purported death just as I think it is unwise for anyone to hysterically and flippantly decry the actions (or inactions of WGT) without knowing the relevant facts themselves.  (Others may publicly submit claims of facts to verify he did actually die, but my intent with this writing is not to solicit anyone to submit "verification" of death.)

What if, after the official WGT memorial event has completed, the person was found to be alive and the whole melodramatic incident was a hoax/misunderstanding!  Again, I am trying not to be insensitive nor am I claiming he did not die, I am attempting to soberly assess some of the many complications of this topic.

I believe that it is very likely that there are other sober-minded members of this community that have considered some of the issue I've just written about and are staying silent (publicly, i.e., on the forums) about them, just as I was for these last few days.  These other respected members of this community can choose to stay silent or they can choose to speak, and those at WGT can do the same.  They can choose to stay silent or eventually break that silence as I have.

In any case, I believe that those who, without adequately knowing the relevant facts, do not withhold misjudgment and boisterously proclaim or insinuate that some gross miscarriage of justice has occurred because WGT has yet to publicly address this topic are woefully misdirected.  

Yielding to groupthink can have disastrous consequences when the general thought process of the group is habitually embedded in prejudicial misjudgment (i.e., passing judgment before receiving or even diligently seeking germane facts).

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or disfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints, by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.

Thanks,
    JMan

JMan

RSS