Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:59 PM (55 replies)
  • petethepup
    204 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 10:09 AM

Hi Corwyn, on the relative to par sheet, for the best of par 5 round, I believe it shows my round at even, but I was -4.   thanks pete.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 11:12 AM

Thanks Pete! Spreadsheet glitch. My template only anticipates a certain number of players shooting under par each tourney, so when there are more, I need to remember to extend the 'under par calculation' down the column. I must have forgotten that week. I'm so glad you spotted it. It's fixed now, and I've checked across all the other weeks.

• petethepup
    204 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 6:43 PM

ouch, almost sorry I mentioned it.....just kiddin.       thanks Corwyn.

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 8:13 PM

Corwyn, upon revisiting your spreadsheet, I noticed that my stats are now split across multiple tiers as within the last 2 weeks or so, I made Tour Legend. Could you explain how (if at all) it will affect my qualification?

Thanks,

Gish

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 7:58 AM

Hi Gish,

Firstly, congrats on making TL!

Yes, it does affect qualification. Now, you have no way to add to your credits tally in the Legend tier, so that avenue to qualification (as the first-placed US player in the Legend Credits Standings) is closed.

And, there's no way that you could become first in the TL tier!!!

But, in TL tier, you do have the chance to earn more credits for an equivalent placing (although the competition is tougher). I think the prize pool is 1/3 more in TL than in L, so any decent finishes will add to your credits total and improve your position in the Best 9 Scores Combined Credits Standings. Right now, you're the 5th placed prospective USA Team member in those standings, and so are on course to qualify via that avenue.

The next possible route in is via the Best 9 Scores Combined Relative to Par Standings, where you're lying tied for 6th with a 6 shot lead on the player currently at the cut mark. Arguably, this category is easier for TLs as in all but one week they've had the Low wind conditions (which offsets the faster greens).

Hope that makes sense. See the earlier post and pics for fuller explanation of how the Team Qualification works.

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 8:37 AM

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Corwyn! I guess moving up tiers has its downsides. However, I will try the two routes you suggested.

• cmdking
    39 Posts
    Thu, May 22 2014 10:13 PM

Am out of retirement.  Is it too late for me to round my uneven lie game into some shape and hop on board?

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 5:54 PM

Hi Colm! Good to see you back. If you read the first post in the thread, the UEL Ryder Cup teams are being drawn from qualifying scores in the weekly UEL singles events going back to late Mar. Unfortunately, you've now missed 8 of the events, with just 4 remaining, so unless you string together several high finishes, it would be hard to make the team.

Edit: wait a minute, you're still in Pro tier. Unfortunately, I'm only running the qualifying Tour spreadsheets for TL & L tiers, as there just didn't seem to be any demand/interest from lower tiers, and it's a considerable amount of work. Sorry!

I see you've still got Starters in the bag. You might be interested in the Challenge a few of us are tackling in this thread: especially the one where we're trying to shoot par in the VUSO Qualifier with full Starters.

Also, I am thinking of doing a Tough-It-Out special @ Pinehurst in the near future (namely, all starters and uneven lies, with 4 rounds from different tee boxes and varying conditions, but all at Pinehurst).

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, May 30 2014 7:46 PM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings: UPDATE after week 21

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk21 results in the UEL Spring Tour.

Latest news in qualification is that niqueclyde from Legend tier has posted on my wall his interest in making the ROW team... which once again makes competition for places in that team even more intense. 

A great week from jsweetcr (an ROW UEL Ryder Cup veteran) almost saw the win that would probably secure him a slot in the team... It really is that close, as one outstanding performance from any one of half a dozen contending players could be all that's needed to propel them into the team.

And, once more, a reminder that alternates will be needed, so keep battling for your highest possible finish!

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size

Team ROW: anticipated team selection as at wk21

Team USA: anticipated team selection as at wk21

... Just three weeks to go now...

Good luck to everyone still to play Oakmont this week!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jun 6 2014 8:02 AM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings: UPDATE after week 22

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk22 results at Oakmont in the UEL Spring Tour.

mmyers0's win at Oakmont jumps him into leading US player in the L credit standings, and probably secures his place on the US team via that route, while the final spots in both teams remain incredibly close. Just one good finish or score will be enough for several players in these two weeks of competition.

And, once more, a reminder that alternates will be needed, so keep battling for your highest possible finish!

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team ROW: anticipated team selection as at wk22

Team USA: anticipated team selection as at wk22

... Just two weeks to go now...

Good luck to everyone still to play Cabo this week! Some very impressive scores already posted, including bhoese's -18 54 in TL tier!!!

RSS