Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:59 PM (55 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 12:03 AM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings: UPDATE after week 23

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk23 results at Cabo in the UEL Spring Tour.

Ben's win at Cabo now makes him the leading US TL player, ahead of Rock who's already in the clubhouse at Kiawah.

mmyers0's second win in 2 weeks secures his finish as leading US player in the L credit standings, and a certain place on the US team via that route.

The next four spots on the US team go to the next highest finishers in the combined best 9 scores credits standing, and right now they are Rock, ColumbusStorm, BigKnight, and Golfhawk... but Wesdog is very close behind Golfhawk and is already in with a fine score this week.

Currently, Wes would qualify anyway via the next route, the next highest 3 finishers in the Best 9 scores combined Relative to Par: poolmaniac and fredsf complete this trio... but should Wes overtake Golfhawk in the credits standings, then the door opens for gishdrums or Cerino to steal the last qualification spot.

For the ROW team, Mags and Corwyn can't be caught as the TL and L credits standing winners respectively, with Konrad guaranteed one of the next highest credits finishers spots. But the remaining 3 spots via that route are still very much up for grabs, with javiertorg threatening to disrupt Wontonamo, niqueclyde and TallAcePaul's current hold on those positions with his leading TL score so far at Kiawah. While the others are well placed in the relative to par standings, niqueclyde needs to get in via the credits route... will his current tiebreak 2nd place 62 at Kiawah be enough?

Amidst all this speculation, a win by any one of half a dozen players would propel them into the team.

And, please remember that alternates will be needed, so keep battling for your highest possible finish!

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team ROW: anticipated team selection as at wk23

Team USA: anticipated team selection as at wk23

... Just the last round at Kiawah this weekend is all that's left to determine Ryder Cup qualification...

Good luck to everyone still to play Kiawah this week!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 12:31 PM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: FINAL Team Standings:  after week 24 closing tourney

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk24 results at Kiawah in the UEL Spring Tour. Please check that everything is correct: I'm fairly sure I captured every player that declared an interest in qualification but please make sure.

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team ROW: final team qualification standings after wk24 tourney

fmagnets and Corwyn secure their slots on the ROW team by virtue of being the leading players in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively (indeed, they both won their Tours. Congrats!)

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: KonradOse, Wontonamo, javiertorg, and niqueclyde fill those positions.

The final 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are TallAcePaul, johehejo, FairwayRuepel68, and MainzMan.

The ROW team is made up of these 8 TL and 2 L players, with 2 captain's picks to be made closer to the event.

The ROW team qualification was especially hard-fought, with many outstanding players and RC veterans just missing out on automatic qualification. As it is certain that alternates will be needed, I hope that RC stalwarts such as stevereilly (who, along with lisalovesthesun, was just 3 shots off the pace, and in all probability just one extra round played would have been enough for either of them), Dazza501, Bonalyau, LOLserver, jsweetcr, alcaucin, and WigerToods will all make themselves available as needed. And for the newcomers, lisa came awfully close, as did other Legend emmalinks and cricketrules. One feels that with full participation every week, each of these players would have made the team. Hopefully we can get a good number of them involved in some way come September.

Team USA: final team qualification standings after wk24 tourney

bhoese and mmyers0 secure their slots on the USA team by virtue of being the leading players from their country in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively.

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: KyRock75BigKnightColumbusStorm (US team captain), and Wesdogg75 fill those positions.

The final 3 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are fredsfgishdrums, and poolmaniac6.

The USA team is made up of these 8 TLs and 1 L player, with 3 captain's picks to be made closer to the event (one of which is reserved for WGTicon, who will play as Iconian).

On the US side, players unlucky to miss automatic qualification include devonnnn (whose 3 missed weeks along with 2 rounds of +2 certainly cost him), while Golfhawk's promotion mid-Tour to TL made it harder to get the extra credits that would have found him a spot (he fell just 50 cr short).
    But, again, with the certainty that alternates will be needed, US players that missed out should keep in touch with this thread and be ready for a call come September!

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for your participation in the Spring UEL Tour and for battling away for Ryder Cup qualification.

Congratulations to all those who made automatic team selection, and commiserations to those that fell short.

I look forward to connecting with you all again at the end of the summer in preparation for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Fri, Jun 27 2014 8:19 PM

mmyers0:

I'm terrible at UEL, but it appears that's normal for Legends and I might just figure this thing out by summer.

Quoted for truth.

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sat, Jun 28 2014 2:33 AM

I'll still make myself available  should I be required as an alternate

• Wesdogg75
    2,431 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 5:04 PM

If anyone from either team would like to get together for some practice  matches leave me a message on my profile page, I'm available most nights 9-10 cst and more available on weekends.

Wes

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 8:59 PM

Wesdogg75:

I'm available most nights 9-10 cst and more available on weekends.

Wes

I would be interested. I'm usually available 9pm-midnight EST.

Also everyone on the USA Team and anyone that wants to be considered for an alternate position or 1 of the 2 captain's choices on the USA Team, please play the weekly and monthly UEL single play tournaments. I have been keeping track of scores since wk25.

Also anyone flying a non USA flag but has an affinity to play for USA, please let me know.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:26 PM

And I will echo that call on behalf of the European team. Alternate spots and captain's picks will definitely be under consideration.

Please expect further tourney information in the next 2-3 weeks, including a Time Availability signup form. The event is scheduled to start mid-late September.

The countdown begins... Should be a cracking event!

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 8:56 PM

Hi guys, just wanted to pop by quick just to say I still am active with the WGT community. I would love to be able to participate with the Ryder cup if I am chosen. 

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 6:00 AM

ColumbusStorm:
    please play the weekly and monthly UEL single play tournaments. I have been keeping track of scores since wk25.

Captain, I should quit playing them then before you kick my butt and throw me me out of the club house!!! ;)

It seems that Wes will set up a round on Saturday night Said! I'll be glad to meet you then!

Corwyn, I guess most of us are really excited to start this event, do you have a sense of dates it will happen?

Fred.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 5:30 AM

Hi Fred et al,

Thanks for asking. I've been trying to make a firm decision on the dates, and been on the fence partly because of the actual Ryder Cup dates (Sep 26-28). In particular, I don't want to make it harder for any of our players who might be attending the real thing at Gleneagles (and of course, I know that most of us will want to watch the televised coverage)!

I've also been considering whether it could work to expand the format and allow for 18-hole matches across the board this time (i.e. in the alt shot [foursomes], and best-ball [fourball] formats, as well as singles)... and, upon advice, have reluctantly decided it's not really feasible. The time commitment, and increased risk of disconnects, make it unwise.

Thus, here are the event dates:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 9/20 thru Mon 9/29

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 9/29 thru Mon 10/6

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 10/6 thru Mon 10/13

Note that we since we now have the ability to play Matchplay and Alt Shot in UEL, we'll be able to do real best-ball Fourball, and Foursomes (Alt Shot), and drop the Worst-Ball compromise we had in the format last time.

-----------------

Please look out for the Time Availability sign-up form in the next 2-3 weeks, at the end of August.

RSS