Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:59 PM (55 replies)
  • cricketrules
    1,050 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 11:38 AM

I'll put myself up for the RoW team, although whether or not I actually qualify is another matter..

Jack.

• BONALYAU
    191 Posts
    Sat, May 10 2014 1:35 AM

Ok I will try my best to qualify...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, May 14 2014 11:19 PM

Corwyn:
    ... this next event will be based on qualification, and the qualifying method will be the Spring 2014 UEL Tour

Final selections for the Ryder Cup teams will be made from standings relating to a player's best 9 scores, so you can afford to miss a few weeks, or have some bad rounds, and still qualify.

The exact balance is still to be determined, but please expect it to include top finishers in the combined Best 9 Scores relative to par, as well as top combined Credit earners.

UPDATE:

I've spent the last week or so asking players who've been doing well in the Spring 2014 UEL Tour if they intend to try and qualify for the Ryder Cup teams, and updating the Tour Spreadsheet from those who have responded to show current standings for team selection status.

Also I'm now able to be precise about the balance for Team Selection:

Teams will be comprised of the following players:

• Top player for each Team from each tier's credit standings (TL & L)

• Next 4 for each Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Credit Standings

• Next 4 for the ROW Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Relative to Par Standings

& • Next 3 for the USA Team  from Combined Best 9 Scores Relative to Par Standings *

+ 2 Captain's Picks for the ROW team, and 3 Captain's Picks for the USA Team.

* Why does the USA Team get an extra Captain's Pick, you may well ask?

Well, this is why: I am making an executive decision that if available, the extra USA Captain's pick will go to WGTIcon (who will play, as last time, as Iconian). Icon is not allowed to participate in WGT tournaments (on account of being an employee, and thus unable to qualify via the Tour), but has been a true advocate and expert exponent of Uneven Lies, and a great supporter of these events. I feel it is the right thing to do for the community to enable and embrace Icon's participation, and an honor for us to get to play alongside or against such a great player.

Alternates:

We will certainly need alternates. The commitments I've been asking for are necessarily non-binding. We are talking about an event that's several months away, and people's lives change.

Alternates will be selected, first and foremost, from the Spring UEL Tour standings as follows: 1st alternate is next player for each team from the Combined Best 9 Credits list, then 2nd alternate for each team is the next player from Combined Best 9 Relative to Par list, and so on, switching back and forth down the list.

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings:

Please note: this is a tricky spreadsheet to comprehend. I've been wrestling with ways in which to present the material (and yet make it a dynamic spreadsheet that will update as the remaining week's results come in)... so I acknowledge it's not perfect, but I'm hoping you can make sense of it!

It pulls data from the Tiered Credits Standings, and the two Best9Scores Credits and Relative to Par Standings (in that order), and cross-references them against the list of players who have indicated their intent to try and qualify (and for which team).

Obviously, the players who currently show as winning particular team selection slots may change, as results come in, and if new players decide they want to try to qualify.

Finally, I've indicated names in yellow for those that qualify from that particular table, and in blue the players that have already qualified by virtue of their standing in a preceding table above. Hopefully, that helps :)

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size

Team ROW: anticipated team selection as at wk19

Team USA: anticipated team selection as at wk19

So, as an example, the current situation for the USA Team is that the leading USA TL Tour player will be Mike (KyRock75) or Ben (bhoese), while in the L Credit standings, Golfhawk is the leading US player.

Then after those Tour winners, the next 4 US places go to the next highest placed in Combined Credits standings from best 9 results. On current placings, that would add Ben (bhoese), Russ (ColumbusStorm), Wes (Wesdogg75), and Fred (fredsf).

And, finally, the last 3 US places go to the next highest placed in the Combined Relative to Par standings from best 9 scores. That would add poolmaniac, CerinoDevoti, and Gishdrums.

... but with five weeks to go, and potentially more players who may throw their hat in the ring, all that could change!

• petethepup
    204 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 12:39 AM

Hi Corwyn, i would like to try to qualify for the U. S. team. I realize I am at the bottom of the standings, but for a week now I have been doing 5 push ups when I wake each morning, so who knows what might happen.     thanks, pete.

in all seriousness, thanks for the great job on this UEL tour, seems like alot of work.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 1:23 AM

No choice but to miss a few.....maybe next year...gl all.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 7:04 AM

Just a quick note, I was able to understand the spreadsheet without Corwyn having to slap me in the head. :)))

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 10:11 AM

Pete: I've added you in. I think you'd posted in one of the threads to follow it, but I wasn't clear that you were intending to try for the team.

Andy: It's not too late! Even with some missed rounds, you could definitely still qualify.

Cerino: Thanks for the feedback! :)

• gishdrums
    19 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 12:30 PM

Count me in, Corwyn, provided I qualify, of course!

• petethepup
    204 Posts
    Thu, May 15 2014 2:07 PM

thank you.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, May 20 2014 7:45 AM

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings: UPDATE

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk20 results in the UEL Spring Tour.

The big news in qualification is that Tom (Wontonamo) has posted on my wall his interest in making the ROW team... which makes competition for places in that team even more intense. The strength in depth of the ROW team is looking frighteningly good right now (watch out USA!) with an incredible number of the top UEL players in the game participating fully in these weekly singles tourneys and showing intent to play in the Ryder Cup. Thus, currently, a number of veterans from the first UEL Ryder Cup are in a dogfight for their place on the team, e.g. Bonalyau, LOLserver, stevereilly, Dazza501 (who missed last week's tourney, what gives Darren?!), jsweetcr, alcaucin, WigerToods2010.

Sadly, on the US side, there are several top UEL players who would surely have graced the team but are not (yet) involved, e.g. to name a few: JJ656, xfipro, berbanygh, jmoney2224, JFHuber, BigNick092785, donsprintr, baggepance, devonnnn, bulfrog2004.

Don't forget too that alternates will be needed, so keep battling for your highest possible finish!

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size

Team ROW: anticipated team selection as at wk20

Team USA: anticipated team selection as at wk20

... Just four weeks to go now, and a lot can change!

P.S. on the topic of whether the teams will be fairly balanced, I have had 'enquiries' from some US players as to whether people should be obligated to play for the country of their flag.

I've always felt that the Ryder Cup is more about affinity than residence, however (think of all those Florida-based Euro Ryder-Cup stars), so I don't think this approach would be fair.

But the question does make me wonder if future iterations of this event should be set up differently, perhaps Europe vs ROW. Any thoughts?

RSS