Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 9:28 PM

Thought I would chime in and agree with Kat here - a calculator is an aid, and for those who use them, I have no issue at all with that. It is no different than using putter/shot pal with a calculator sitting next to your laptop/pc.

Back when I used to be reasonably good at golf, I would have course notes, especially from my clubs course and could tell you every nook and cranny, distances to the front, middle and back of the green from virtually everywhere.

When I played in a tournament anywhere, I would make a point of playing the course several times if possible, write notes and get yardage charts if possible.

Now in this game I play by feel. and perhaps I really should use an aid like Kat's, because some days I play like a hack. In this game I have always been too lazy to write notes, or even calculate shots, because it is only a game and I play for fun.

The more rounds I play, the better I have become.......well some days - I still have brain farts, finger farts etc, On approach shots I do vary in my guestimates and an aid would no doubt give me consistency, but most of my good rounds are for one reason - I read the line of the putts better. An aid like Kats will not do this for me.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 9:45 PM

Thanks Al for your support.

For those that are learning the game, the calculators are a great training aid.  After a while, you'll get to know what to do and use them less.  Most that use them will only use them for a short while (unless they are like me and rely on the putting power calculations).

If you're interested, remember ... send me a friend request then a PM and I'll send you the link.

Kat ♥

• Premed
    776 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:48 AM

Hi Kat,

Ive sent u a friend request and look forward to trying ur calculator. Ive always used a basic calculator to + - wind & elevation and therefore give me a % of club needed. Its the same as doing it in your head but without the silly mistakes. Putting power calcs just make life easier and allow one to concentrate on that damned meter .

Im living proof that using a calculator doesnt necessarily make you a better player ! Ill give you my feedback (for what its worth) after ive tried it out .

Thanks in an advance.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:18 AM

This thread has sure taken a wrong turn thanks to usual suspects, Kat put in a lot of work and gave you a great tool...I used and still use it to get the windage from time to time, then I would go through the whole chip scale thing to get a visual on the arrow distance from the flag on a approach shot and remember it so I don't have to use the program in rounds because I to am lazy...then I just move the aimer and hit the shot after a while...

I guess you guys never read a manual either, just figure things out on your own through trial and error for 2 yrs never realizing the full potential of the product...

If you have a 70+ average or your leaving yourself 174 ft putts to make you definitely need to use Kats program, it's nowhere near as close to cheating as you are to being lazy...

One other thing, Kat GAVE the program to the wgt community...she spent several hundred $'s of her money for the tools necessary to write the program.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:53 AM

fatdan:
    One other thing, Kat GAVE the program to the wgt community...she spent several hundred's of her money for the tools necessary to write the program.

And received just over 60 sleeves of golf balls ... so I'm not as much in the red as I was in March, when I released it.

Thanks Dan.  

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 12:37 PM

Any time someone is willing to put in effort to help the WGT community I applaud them. I use Kats program and it has helped my game very much...(when I hit the ding or get close to hitting that rascal ). 

I have always tried to follow her threads because she has a good idea of the game.

You go girl.  

Gary

• JohnnyZed
    10 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 3:34 PM

Hey Kat

im a noob to this im coming along but would love to have your calculator

i sent you a friend request and will pm you if you accept.

thank you

JohnnyZed

• DerbalWardrin
    125 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 3:48 PM

STROKE - Please add me to your DNP list. I looked in the pro shop for tissues but they don't sell them. There are so many useful tips & aids out there to improve your game, if you only take the time to look, but I consider them far from "cheats".  If anything that gives you an advantage over your apponent is a cheat then we all cheat the moment we upgrade clubs or balls. I tried KATS program but am far too lazy & computer "challenged" to use it. But I take my hat off to her for the work she put into it & then offering it to anyone interested. It is fast reaching the stage that you will need some sort of computer program to manage your DNP list, I am sure Kat is more than capable but that boat has already sailed.

You remind me of the kid who picks up his football when hes loosing & goes home. Just use a 45 second timer if you want to avoid players who have taken it to a new level,(I personally love to see them play), WTG is fun at all levels, if you play to enjoy it. If not take your ball & go home...

• Premed
    776 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 4:12 PM

A reporter interviewed Albert Einstein. At the end of the interview, the reporter asked if he could have Einstein's phone number so he could call if he had further questions. 

“Certainly” replied Einstein. He picked up the phone directory and looked up his phone number, then wrote it on a slip of paper and handed it to the reporter.  

Dumbfounded, the reporter said, "You are considered to be the smartest man in the world and you can't remember your own phone number?”  

Einstein replied, “Why should I memorize something when I know where to find it?”

https://sites.google.com/site/philledwardsauthor/favoritequotes

Surely using a calculator is is merely an extension of the principle in the above story ( not sure if its true or myth). Using a calculator is the same as using any labour saving device - are clothes washed by hand a better type of clean than those washed in a machine,- i dont think so. If i used a pencil & paper to aid my distance calculations would i still offend the purists ??. I have a basic spread sheet that does simple calcs for me - as anyone can see from my stats it hasnt made me an elite player. But it does help me get the shot that i want based on my experience that i used to design the spread sheet - in a quicker way that i could doing the same calcs using mental arithmatic.

So is using another players calculator unethical ?? ( its not against the rules thats been made clear already) Of course its not. It is only the same as getting advice from another player, such as the many mant tips on this site.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 4:12 PM

DaddysKat:

fatdan:
    One other thing, Kat GAVE the program to the wgt community...she spent several hundred's of her money for the tools necessary to write the program.

And received just over 60 sleeves of golf balls ... so I'm not as much in the red as I was in March, when I released it.

Thanks Dan.  

I open Kat's cal about 2% of the time during my games.

I figured I'd dust it off and try Kat's approach/wind cal. only (the putts I calculated without it) on STA F9 today. A tip of the hat to Dan, as I further incorporated his distance observations w/ my Cleveland wedges to get those approaches close.

With continued usage I will customize it for my equipment, etc.

but lets just say, Kat, that you have a sleeve of balls coming your way in a few days. Any specific type, just let me know.

Thanks!

RSS