Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:55 AM

jayw4862:
    WGT's secrets are are like Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken secret recipe, or Coca Cola's. Better protected than the NSA or CIA's secrets :-)

How true is this.....lol   Well said, I must admit.

Kats program is very good.  You have to take some time testing the program for your own needs/gameplay and change the settings..   because everybody is different, how they hit their shots.

I downloaded the program, earlier this year because I was having troubles with cross winds on approach to green....   I don't use it anymore, but the things I learnt at the time was/is Gold.

Anybody who gets the program...   should send her a Pack o Balls for all the hard work she has put in the program.

-Roger

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 2:02 AM

mantis0014:
    Anybody who gets the program...   should send her a Pack o Balls for all the hard work she has put in the program.

Definitely!!! And, if they honestly can't afford to send balls at that moment, publicly thank her. Then, go do some surveys and videos (spend less time doing that than Kat did creating that program) and then send her some balls.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your support!

And yes, there's a lot more to this game than knowing adjusted distances and flag movement on approach shots.

The first thing a newb using my calculators will notice is the calculator doesn't know the contours of the greens ... if a ball is going to hit and run, or if it will stick.  These are things you must learn.  For new players, I recommend taking notes.

Every course is different and so is every green.  Easy courses like Best of Famous, Bethpage Black and St. Andrews, the calculator works well ... par 3's, you need to adjust distance ... and on several holes through the game, you'll need to know if the hole plays long or short.

You also need to know on those approach shots that release how the ball is going to move once it starts rolling ... will it break left or right and how much roll are you going to get once the ball lands and begins to roll.  You'll also need to know what each of your clubs do.

As I've said before, the calculator is just a tool and will speed up your calculations if you're using a calculator to determine distance.

Also, I seldom use my calculator for approach shots as I've gotten to know the courses well ... If I haven't played a course in a while, I will review my notes.

I am still very reliant on my putting calculator for putts greater than 10 feet (or on the slower green speeds).

For me, they are great tools for this game ... and if they were cheats, why the heck is my average so dang high?  

• togemag
    991 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:16 PM

DaddysKat:
    I'm so proud of you two trolls

First thing, I don’t TROLL the Forum. I thought it was and interesting topic, so I posted my thoughts.

Second thing, I was going to get a Cal. from Kat some time ago. Then I thought whats the point. I just like making the putts by the skills I have. No more than that and didn’t mean to pour salt on some open feelings.

Question from one of the Troll’s tho, do you have one for real life golf?

There’s my point.

If you need one, get one. Doesn’t matter to me.

I still will play the game, as a game. Just my opinion, no more than that.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 1:43 PM

togemag:
    do you have one for real life golf?

Yes I do ... I wear a GPS watch in most events and play practice rounds on courses where I will play a future tourney.  If the tourney does not explicitly state "No GPS Systems ... No Range Finders", I will use mine.  

I want every advantage I can get when playing a real-life tourney.  (God knows I give up enough strokes to high handicap players)

I also play practice rounds and map courses.  I keep copious notes for every course I've played.  I will map the contours of the green as I read greens and will pick out noticeable landmarks and record distances to the green before hand ... so I know on tourney day just how the course plays.

I probably know the real game of golf better than you ... my GHIN says I'm a pretty good golfer in real life ... so do those that play me in real life.

But, I'm guessing, unlike you, I choose to help those learning the game ... both in real life and here.  I help the HS students with their game as much as I can.  I teach them how to swing a club for a cut, a draw and a fade shot.  I teach them how to get out of bunkers, how to chip and how to pitch.I teach them what to do when you're hitting from the back of your stance for that low shot and what to do when you play the ball forward in your stance and when to use it.

I try to do the same for golfers here too.  But this isn't real golf ... it's a computer game and golf simulator played with a mouse button.  But, in a way, it does play a bit like real golf.  You need to know how to determine what to do with cross winds, head winds and tail winds.  You also need to know how to determine power for putts.

Now whether you take the "Fools Progress" by saying ... I'll put the meter here and see what happens ... or use a calculator to determine how to hit an approach or a putt is totally up to the individual.

Here, I'd rather use a calculator to determine where I should aim and how much power I need to apply to each shot.  It isn't wrong and it isn't cheating.  Just because you took the "feel" approach to this computer game is your thing (even though I truly believe everyone does some form of mental calculation ... even if it's just memory recall).

I like to help and wrote my calculators to do that.  Just because you don't use them doesn't make those that do cheaters ... they are merely using a tool that was designed for this game.

So that's my point ... let's agree to disagree here.  To those that want to have a copy of my calculator, just send me a PM and I'll reply with the link.

Yes, it is a game ... not as complex as real golf, but a game just the same.

• Priesum
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 4:37 PM

Whatever, whatever - hugs to Kat who is a true diamond!

Kelly

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 4:58 PM

Priesum:

Whatever, whatever - hugs to Kat who is a true diamond!

Kelly

Thank you Kelly!

How's the new CC going for you?

• flogger20
    150 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 5:52 PM

would like to try calculator but can't find how to message you..thanks

• frogdog311
    17 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 7:19 PM

Hi Kat,

I'm still loving your calculator!!  

The clockface will not go to the top of the screen so i can't line it up with the wind. There seems to be a buffer of a .25 inch at the top. I use to be able to adjust the size of the clockface but i can't get it to adjust.

Could please explain how to either move the clockface up or adjust it's size i would be most appreciative!!

Thanks!!

John 

• Stewart4100
    3,714 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:05 PM

Kat-

I have sent a friend request, but I'm certain you have long since maxed-out. I would very much appreciate a copy of the calculator - Lord knows, I need all the help I can get. BTW - loved reading your touching prose.

Stewart4100

RSS