Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 3:02 PM

MBaggese:

MichaelStroke:
    Being a cheat doesn't make it not allowed

Let me ask you something...

You have a 22 foot putt

6 inches down hill

Tourney 11 greens

Minimal break

How hard do you hit it, and where did/do you come up with the proper power?

Hmm...probably easier for me to answer with T12 greens.

On my 15 footer, I hit about 85%, into the break about 60-75% more than I would on a flat surface.

Great question though.

[Edit] - as far as how I came up with it, just mental math about how the speed of the green, how it affects slope/break, and distance of a base percentage of putter increments (I don't use shot/putter pal either, those lines are more distracting than helpful).

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 3:25 PM

MichaelStroke:
    [Edit] - as far as how I came up with it, just mental math about how the speed of the green, how it affects slope/break, and distance of a base percentage of putter increments (I don't use shot/putter pal either, those lines are more distracting than helpful).

That's my point...you  are begrudging some for for letting a program do the math, while you do it in your head.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 3:47 PM

I deleted the extraneous text.

MBaggese:
    you do it

That's right. I did it.  If I punch in a bunch of numbers in some program, I didn't do it.  IT did it.

When I get sick, I don't go to the doctor, get checked out, get a diagnosis, get a prescription, and then say I cured myself because I took the medicine.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 3:52 PM

MichaelStroke:

I deleted the extraneous text.

MBaggese:
    you do it

That's right. I did it.  If I punch in a bunch of numbers in some program, I didn't do it.  IT did it.

When I get sick, I don't go to the doctor, get checked out, get a diagnosis, get a prescription, and then say I cured myself because I took the medicine.

In effect, this really isn't about using a program to add/subtract/multiply/etc...for you...what you really are doing is standing on a soapbox proclaiming how much smarter you are than anyone who uses a calulator.

Interesting, as you never came across as a high IQ kinda guy to me, but someone has said in the past

"We are all a genius in our own mind"

Enjoy your game Michael. 

• mjhee
    996 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 4:15 PM

I don't really get all of what is being said I just shat a 26in the summer league. I think my best ever for 9. I was on fire. Please understand, it was all me. I was so happy to have a good round.

Mike H

• togemag
    991 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 8:00 PM

MichaelStroke:
    IT did it.

I can say I did it, and enjoy saying I have made a putt from 179’ w/a ding among many others of long distances (just having fun putting), I used my eye and my knowledge to make these putts, my decision can be pretty fast. I do wonder one thing, lets say you have a short time period for your next shot in a multi-payer game, how long does it take you to make your calculations on your calculator (multi-factors to be loaded), adjust the putt and putt.

NO RESPONSE NEEDED, just a thought for ya.

I like Old Faithful.   :)

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 8:57 PM

togemag:

MichaelStroke:
    IT did it.

I can say I did it

I'm so proud of you two trolls ... here's a gold star for both of you!  

The program was written for those that use calculators ... It's faster than a regular calculator because it was written for this game.  I don't charge for it at all, but don't refuse a gift of golf balls from those that wish to thank me for my hard work.

For those that use a calculator, you're more than welcome to have a copy of mine!

Kat ♥

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 9:36 PM

MichaelStroke:
    I have no need to keep the kid gloves on.  I'll just start calling a spade a spade.

Might as well say that the WGT's putter pal and shot pal are cheats, too.

By far the dumbest, most uniformed post I have ever seen in the forums. Someone must've s*** in your eggs this morning. After looking at your stats, I'd highly recommend that YOU use Kat's program, the cheat engine, Wigers Putter Pal, WGT's shot pal, putter pal, a calculator, Tiger Vision (or whatever that mythological program is called), and check Youtube for whatever silly program is being touted this week. Oh, and to cook your own eggs every morning (best way to keep the s*** out of them). Or, give it up and play candy crush.

If you think players win games against you because they are using a calculator or some other tool, you're wrong. After 19 months, the truth is, you're just not any good at this game.

Your post brings so much truth to the old adage:

"It's best to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up, and remove all doubt"

One more thing. I use a calculator for yardage/wind/distance on approach shots. The rest is "feel". I have Kat's program, also. But, I've never used it solely because I am, as someone else said, too lazy.

A player could use all of the calculations and programs available, but without the precise "execution" of the shot or putt, those calculations mean nothing.

Your post about Kat's program was totally uncalled for, stupid, misinformed, accusatory, and just plain WRONG.

MichaelStroke:
    you've helped a lot of peoples' games become more relevant and less laughable.

All the more reason for you to try her program ;-)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:15 PM

jayw4862:

A player could use all of the calculations and programs available, but without the precise "execution" of the shot or putt, those calculations mean nothing.

I concur. I'd like to add to this important point.

IMO There are 2 basic elements to this game germane to this topic:

1. having the calculations of aim & power to accurately get near or in the hole 

2. and, as mentioned, the execution of the shot.

(I speak a lot about  that topic (2) in the forums, like understanding the meter, the nature of equipment, CPU issues, VEM, working the dynamics of the ding and off-ding, etc.

Now, I have Kat's cal, and a few others. (thank you, all, I hope to show my appreciation soon) I usually just use the tool to practice and to learn about physics. (which has been suggested many times)

But, be aware, that knowing the correct calculation is an interesting challenge. I'm blabbing as usual so let me put it in a form of a question-

Let say you're using the calculator and you have it calibrated very accurately, then you set the aim and power as displayed, you pull back the powerbar to the correct power increment and you get ready to swing -

Will the game become so easy that you simply release and hit and you're set up for a 4 foot putt, approximately ??" 

In my experience, no. It usually becomes more challenging. In fact, from my reading of how this complex WGT game works, as soon as you set the aim & set the power, the computer almost completely 'knows' where the ball will land, except for the variable of your last click. (club/ball precision rating circles come into play now, of course)

What I'm supposing is that if you have the correct aim, and power, the VEM knows that if you ding the shot it will be very close, so I ask, "Will the powerbar or execution become a challenge?"  

From my tests, yes, (depending on skill level) it will become a great challenge if you have many persistent, accurate calculations. (be it from a machine or from your brain alone!)

'execution challenge' = sometimes referred to as other 'problems' in the forums.

This is clearly stated a few ways in the programming of the game:

"Virtual equipment automatically adapts to reflect changes in user skill level and keeps users challenged as their skill level improves. As a result, users are less likely to lose interest in a computer game."

Note: see it doesn't say "as skill improves it all becomes so simple and you shoot a great game, all birdies and eagles, etc."

It says the opposite.

Depending on the skill level of the player you can expect challenging changes in variables of your gameplay, again, clearly admitted in other written areas of the game's programming, if you have read it.

Kat's cal is a definite, modifiable tool, IMO, and it has been given out to many players. Now, have they all sky rocketed to legend or higher, or has their gameplay become routine and simplified??

[rhetorical, I have the answer, I just want to be thought provoking]

"Things are tough all over"

edit:

to simply add to subsequent posts, some my misconstrue my research as 'blaming VEM  for your own bad skills' but yes, as you say, it can work both ways and my incorrect methods and calculations have succeeded because of VEM as well. (which I have noted in past forum posts)

I am usually the type who doesn't like a game with small challenge, I welcome the increase in difficulty recently spoke of in the forums, perhaps because I play with all free credits.

That why I am a proponent  in the 'pro VEM thread'

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:18 AM

JFidanza:
    Depending on the skill level of the player you can expect challenging changes in variables of your gameplay, again, clearly admitted in other written areas of the game's programming, if you have read it.

Good post. And, I agree. It makes me think of the shots that I "thought" I had aimed correctly, and had the distance pretty close, and when the time came to "execute" I missed my mark (early/ding/late, whichever I was trying to do) by a 1/4" and immediately knew the shot was terrible, yet the ball ended up 1ft from the hole. So, was my aim wrong? Or, did that screw-up on my end throw VEM off?

The answer to your question is..no. Kat's, and all of the other tools can only do so much. WGT, to keep the game challenging, and not become the joke TWO was, constantly tweaks (or has some automatic program/codes) the game. I'm relatively new still (14 months) and the one thing I have learned is that putting is number one (I don't think VEM is as much a factor in putting as the tweaking of green speeds is- just because it says tournament greens 12 doesn't mean it's the same 12 speed as yesterday), approach shots number two (VEM comes into play here), scrambling/sand shots are number three as far as improving your game.

WGT's secrets are are like Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken secret recipe, or Coca Cola's. Better protected than the NSA or CIA's secrets :-)

They should consider selling "VEM-Free" passes (by the round, or day) in the Pro Shop. They would definitely sell, and no one would ever know whether it was working or not, lol. Or maybe have a VEM-Free weekend :-)

After my initial reply to this post, I pulled up Kat's program, and I'm ashamed to say it befuddled, baffled, and confused me to no end. I'm just not techie enough to figure it out (and she even has very specific, detailed instructions on how to use it). If anything, she doesn't deserve to be blasted for something that obviously took a LOT OF TIME and EFFORT to make. And, once completed, she shared it with anyone who wanted it. Not many people like that in today's world. Selfless. I'm very glad she is my (virtual) friend. She's the kind of person I would love to have as a RL friend (as long as she didn't get all geeky, nerdy, techie and confuse me).

RSS