Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:31 AM

Sorry, I don't knuckle under that easily.  If anything, it just demonstrates how many out there are just plain bad at the game - that they're so desperate for help.

Also, since this has been around since March and keeps getting bumped, I'm not exactly pulling a necro.  There are always garbage players who stumble upon the thread and beg for a crumb.

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:50 AM

MichaelStroke:
    There are always garbage players who stumble upon the thread and beg for a crumb.

So I'm a 'garbage' player just because I'm not a 'feel' player, am I??

You know what Kat's prog does for me?  Does EXACTLY the calculations I was doing using a pocket calculator next to keypad before I started using the programme, (which funnily enough was good enough to get this 'garbage player' just shy of saturated Legend) except it does them in about 1/3 the time.

If you believe using a calculator instead of your great mental maths makes someone a cheat, and you don't like playing cheats, don't ever accept another invite from me.

Thomas

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:59 AM

MichaelStroke:
    It discourages people from learning the game properly. 

No actually it encourages them to learn the game. Because once you get the number down you find that some times they don't work right and then you have to improvise with more spin ,less spin and the like. And if any one needs to learn the game I believe it would be someone who has some of the best clubs here, is a level 94 legend but has an average over 70. 

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:03 PM

IMO I think Kat did a great service to many players here. I do not use anything and play with course knowledge as WGT math and I just never seem to agree on anything.

Every hole in this game has it's quirk's and when you figure them out it becomes a matter of getting close to the ding. Yardages here are rarely usable and the dots on the greens are very misleading.

I hope everyone enjoys the game however you choose to play it and have fun. You already have the top twenty players here, the rest of us are just hanging on and having a good time!

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:12 PM

borntobesting:

MichaelStroke:
    It discourages people from learning the game properly. 

No actually it encourages them to learn the game. Because once you get the number down you find that some times they don't work right and then you have to improvise with more spin ,less spin and the like. And if any one needs to learn the game I believe it would be someone who has some of the best clubs here, is a level 94 legend but has an average over 70. 

You're right.  I completely suck.  You should invite me to play match sometime.  I would be an easy win for you.  Just don't 5 up me, please.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:35 PM

FWIW all ... I consider my calculators as a tool.  As a few have mentioned, it merely does calculations you can do with the scientific calculator provided free by Windows.

In real life, I help newb golfers with their games.  My HS alma mater golf team use my simulator and putting greens to practice their games.  I teach them how to take notes to know distances on courses they play, and how to determine the best place to land for the best approach shot.

This isn't real golf ... you can't move the ball forward or back in your stance, and a draw in this game doesn't go further than a fade or a "dinged" shot.  It's meant for entertainment purposes.  

If you're entertained doing simple math in your head, great.  More power to you.  If you would rather just have a good time when you play with others, play a 90 sec. shot clock and enjoy the company.  That's pretty much all I do.

I don't want to think about what to do in this game.  This is my escape ... so is writing code.  I never play anyone for money but I don't complain about those that do.  It's a personal preference ... just like my calculators.

FWIW, I don't always use my calculator ... just occasionally.  It has taught me what to do on most shots, so I don't need it.  

For those that use it ... it's a tool ... and I truly hope it has helped your enjoyment of this "GAME".

And if you want it, send me a PM and I'll share the link.  

Thank you all for your support ... and to those of you who feel it's a cheat, please report me to WGT.  They have a copy of the program.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:01 PM

Being a cheat doesn't make it not allowed.  Hell, you can't find a quality cyclist (this includes Armstrong) who didn't blood dope for every race he's ran.  I know that WGT is fine with this.  Now whether it's because they actually are cool with it or because they simply have no way to enforce a way to make its use illegal, who knows.  I can plug a Game Genie into my old Nintendo and it's "allowed", but it's dishonest nonetheless.

I probably would've left the thread long ago, after donating $0.02, but I did get some entertainment watching people attacking me and making it personal because I called out their own abilities to play this game without something playing it for them.  The closer you hit home, the harder the troops rally.

I tried to be as civil and courteous as possible in here with regard to this subject, but after some of the responses on here, I have no need to keep the kid gloves on.  I'll just start calling a spade a spade.

More power to ya, Kat.  Apparently you've helped a lot of peoples' games become more relevant and less laughable.

• alanliam
    231 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:31 PM

i would like to try ur new calculator how do i get it sent u a freind invite

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 2:44 PM

MichaelStroke:
    Being a cheat doesn't make it not allowed

Let me ask you something...

You have a 22 foot putt

6 inches down hill

Tourney 11 greens

Minimal break

How hard do you hit it, and where did/do you come up with the proper power?

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 2:50 PM

^^^ Bite me, Baggs! ***

RSS