Forums

Help › Forums

Cheats and Percieved Cheats

Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:02 AM (87 replies)
  • Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:22 AM

I've been hanging back in the winds with all of this till now reading the outrage etc. First and foremost let me say this, I don't condone cheating but in this realm of computer games for every game out there, there is someone coming up with a way to cheat the software whether it's flash based or not. That is a fact of life with computer games in these times. Hell there are even books published with cheats.

Now to get to the crux of my post. Has any of you personally tried these programs recently to see if they actually do what you perceive they are doing? That they can truly ding every shot or slow down the meter?  If so please speak up so we can know from someone with first hand experience with these. Even if they could are they going to read the greens, figure the wind deviations etc. and compensate for all of the varying factors that one encounters in this game for someone using them?  How about as a community selecting a few honest players to try these and get back to the community on their effectiveness before the community goes on a witch hunt.

Logically from playing this game, personally I really question with all of the meter stutters Etc. how any program could perfectly time with that well enough to hit the mark any better than a good player on here or how it could read the greens, the wind or the direction the ball bounces when it lands for you.

I am a mediocre player at best and play for the fun of it. What bothers me most about all of this is that all of these continued posts of this nature hurt the community as a whole as it sets up a witch hunt against every player that plays well in a game to be named a cheater by someone who loses in a match. To me good players are just that, good players and a lot of non cheating good players are going to be dragged through the mud for being just that.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:28 AM

Oldbayrunner:

Now to get to the crux of my post. Has any of you personally tried these programs recently to see if they actually do what you perceive they are doing? That it can truly ding every shot?  Even if they could are they going to read the greens, figure the wind deviations etc. and compensate for all of the varying factors that one encounters in this game for someone using them? If so please speak up so we can know from someone with first hand experience with these. How about as a community selecting a few honest players to try these and get back to the community on their effectiveness before the community goes on a witch hunt.

Oldbay this has been done to death, on WGTLS a player was caught using it, he filmed himself or allowed someone to film him using it. So yes, it does work.

Your points about putting are very relevant, but think about it from YOUR  OWN perspective. How many shots do you think you would save every round putting, approach the lot if you ALWAYS dinged the shot?

And tbh that cheat isn't the most dangerous, the one that slows the flash player down so that a three toed sloth can ding it (or just miss the ding if that is your thing) is much more dangerous, and apparently more difficult to detect.

• christwillett
    1 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:30 AM

Hi my problem with the game is those  who cheat with there handicap not that it matters to me except as soon as they have a bad hole they disconnect! slow the game down and mess every one around . there should be some sort of penalty on your handicap for not finishing a game

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:31 AM

China have you personally tried these programs to know that it will hit the mark or slow the meter well enough to play better than you could on your own? If not maybe you should so you can know first hand since you are one of the people shouting the most and posting links so others can find it. To me that created even a worse problem by publicly leading people to it. How many more do you think might be using it now because you did that?

After reading your post on the one that you are concerned with slowing the meter I went and look at it and read up on it. Take a look at the FAQ's and I think you will find in those they state that it doesn't work on most online based games.

Q:Will CXXX  Exxx work on online games?
    A:Most of the time, no

LMAO...can you imagine some player using the max slow ball using it...I'd probably fall asleep waiting for the slider to get to the mark.

Personally given how I play my game I don't think it would aid me any better than I can play on my own. Hell even if I ding my approach shots 90% of the time that doesn't guarantee that the ball is going to land close to the pin. My worst element in my game is consistently  reading the breaks for putting and on my own when I do miss I will be within a foot or two pretty much most all of the time. What I presume using an auto dinger in my opinion couldn't achieve any better than that as I sure as hell can't see how one can read the breaks for you. I do believe any of the top players on here could shoot circles around that guy using the Auto dinger because they know these courses and the breaks like the backs of their hands.

I am not trying to defend the use of  these programs, personally I could give a ratz azz about them.  As I stated I am more concerned with people coming off and creating problems for other good players who don't cheat just because others think they might be when they lose a match to a player that played well, because of all the fracas that has been created in the forum.

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:44 AM

Hey Brother Walt, I don't know if anyone else has tried one of these softwares or not, I am sure that they have.

A few months ago, there was a thread on here that said something like, "no wonder these top players play so well, they use  software that slows the meter down so slow it makes the free ball slower than the Max.  It even listed the software name in the thread.

I was incredibly curious about it, not that I wanted to use it but I wanted to see for myself if it did in fact work as suggested in the thread so I downloaded it, and after going through the tutorial, I opened WGT and went into practice mode and tried the software.  This software allowed me to set the speed of the swing meter all the way down to so slow that it hardly looked as if it was moving, all the way up to so fast that you couldn't possibly use it.  After finding a speed lower than the Max ball I hit several shots with it. and was able to ding every single time.

This software did more than just slow the meter however, it put every aspect of the shot in incredible slow motion. In my opinion, it would be very easy to see if anyone was using it from the game play and how slow every thing was including ball flight.  Putting looked as if the ball would never make it to the hole, even on short putts.

That was my simple test of that particular software.  While it did not auto ding, it did slow the meter to a point that it was very easy to hit the ding.  After trying it on a few practice holes, I uninstalled it and told quite a few people in our CC what it did and what to look for and if they saw a player that looked as if they were in slow motion, to get out of that game as soon as possible.

So, Yes, Walt, I have tried this one, and after seeing it applied to the game, I am certain that many of the others talked about here on this forum probably work too, to accomplish one goal, but they, as you so well pointed out, can't do the calculations and really do the scoring, that is still in the players hands.  I doubt if a game will ever be created that is cheat proof, there are just too many people out there that have to rely on a cheat of some sort to compete.

I don't think the top players use any kind of cheat at all, they are just better at the game than most everyone else and they know the equipment and the courses like the back of their hand.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:12 AM

thebigeasy707:
    curiously....it has the same number of teeth as YankeeJim

And you know this how?

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:24 AM

phiber:

I don't think the top players use any kind of cheat at all, they are just better at the game than most everyone else and they know the equipment and the courses like the back of their hand.

I think it's clearly the non better players using this type of software. With the balls out now anybody and their brother can handle the meter just fine. Ding is not the King, still comes down to a short game and calculating the wind and club and ball distance combo and finally and most important putting. If there was ever a program that read the greens and took the putt, then we would have a problem.

So I could slow the starter ball down slower than the max, but it would still be a starter ball, and why would I want to slow the max ball down further than it is now. Even my Nike 81 ball is easy to manage the meter at full speed. But I get the benefit of smooth meter and graphics and a nice game play experience in real  time, not some chopped up mess that would grow extremely frustrating.

With the exception of 1 player who shot 1 good score, and the jury being out whether or not the ding function was installed, I don't think we have to much to worry about with the 2 programs that are getting the most attention.

I think it's the 1's we don't know about that we should be worried about.

I still think the vast majority of players here do 2 things, with the exception of multi accounting, they don't cheat, and 2 they do not read these forums.

So let's all just relax and enjoy the ride, while it lasts.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:49 AM

Thank you brother Phiber, At last someone comes out and admitted they actually have tried this and is able to give first hand knowledge. So does it show only that player in slow motion or the entire play for both? This one given your experience I will say I will look out for.

Now that you have come out then I will admit to trying the Auto Ding one after all this has started in some practice rounds. I know for a fact that at least on my computer that thing couldn't hit the meter mark any more often then what I can on my own. The main difference is when it did miss it wasn't quite as bad as what I can do sometimes. Another thing I experienced is it caused my meter to stutter twice as bad making it unpredictable as to when it would ding or what side of the meter it would miss on at any given time. Even with it, it didn't get me any closer to the hole even using my calculations than what I can on my own. And when it didn't get me close and I was left with a longer putt  it was worse because when it didn't hit the ding it compounded the miss on the putt. Even then when it did ding if the putt wasn't read right or if it didn't have the right speed it would still miss just as much as I can and do. This does not mean for someone with a better system than mine it wouldn't work more efficiently but it sure didn't show me it doing better than I can using my own efforts on my machine. So for me I found I play better in my mediocre style without it and at least I can still blame my stupid mistakes on my finger and not some software...lol

My main purpose for being against a witch hunt is that I got accused of cheating awhile ago because I was playing while someone was using the video feature on Skype and someone saw the percent gauge I made for my meter, similar to putter pal, and turned me in for cheating. I got a nasty email from WGT threatening to cancel my account. I got it resolved by sending them a screen shot of what I had made. I never heard anymore about it from wgt afterwards and never got an apology, so that sticks in my craw a bit.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 7:57 AM

Oldbayrunner:

Thank you brother Phiber, At last someone comes out and admitted they actually have tried this and is able to give first hand knowledge. So does it show only that player in slow motion or the entire play for both? This one given your experience I will say I will look out for............................................etc

Thank you oldbay for you honesty, we needed some good people to admit to trying this out for science purposes. Imagine the program missing the ding on the wrong side of the wind, you would be left with a monster if you even find your ball.

And to assist you in recouping your losses I have sent you a sleeve of balls.

Thank you again.

• notonthis
    893 Posts
    Tue, Apr 2 2013 8:23 AM

If you ask me the biggest cheat is sold in the pro shop for 600 credits lmao. Finally got my first round  of all birds last week on my worst course St Andrews. Max balls are sweet but may have a little trouble on 5 at beth and a few other holes but thats when you just gulp and make the putt.

RSS