Forums

Help › Forums

How do you hit the ding consistently?

Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM (54 replies)
  • drumstick66
    156 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 1:52 PM

Jimbog1964:

Be interesting if any drummers report in.  They have great beat and I wonder if their success rate is higher.

Speaking personally , no .

I've played to quite a high standard for years ( drumming , not golf ) and i miss way more than i ding .

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, May 10 2013 4:03 AM

I had forgotten about that post, but thanks for the reply.  I think things are def. varied now so doubt the beat would help too much............Thanks though!  

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, May 10 2013 10:10 AM

Tightrope:

Jimbog1964:
    Be interesting if any drummers report in.  They have great beat and I wonder if their success rate is higher.

This was my first comment when I tried this game for the first time: "There is no rhythm!"

I do not think a drummer, or anyone with rhythm feeling, has any use for it here, unfortunately. Since real golf is a lot about fluent motions and feeling, I was very disappointed that this game is just about eye-hand coordination.

You can make a real golf swing with your eyes closed.

I've played the drums for over 35 years and can't say it helps me much with the ding. What I can say is the song that plays when you open the game client is an indicator of what kind of meter you will have on that round. I listen to about 10-12 seconds of the song(I time it and count the beats) before I click up the round I'm about to play. That tune distinctly plays at different speeds. Some days it plays a little slower(96 bpm) and I'm not chasing the meter. Other times it's playing faster(108bpm) and I have the most trouble keeping up with the meter. I believe in plain sight(or sound) WGT has been indicating what sort of meter you will receive on any given day. I've learned to lay off the important rounds when the song is playing that much faster.

Right now the song is playing at 108 beats per minute. 96 is the optimum. No important round for me at this time.

• dcwel
    7 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:47 AM

It is very reassuring to know that my difficulty with consistency on the ding is not due to my age (75). I see all the various tips that many are using and will just continue to work it out ... as with real golf!

P.S. As I write this it has just occurred to me that my Pro Tour level of 71.68  means that I am 'shooting' much lower than my age .. so be happy. Ding!!

Donw

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 12:26 PM

No doubt the better your eye/hand coordination the more likely you are to Ding!.

No doubt remaining relaxed and having a level of concentration that keeps your mind empty of thoughts also helps a great deal.

The method I developed is based on knowing I am left eye dominant.

I pause at the top of the back swing to give my computer's CPU time to settle down to a low % usage level. In fact I use Window's Task Manager CPU Performance % display to watch the CPU's performance level. (I have the display minimized to my task bar at the lower right of my screen)

Once the CPU settles down I start the down swing.

I then move my head to look left at the already moving meter. I consciously favor my left (dominant) eye and follow the meter by moving my head to the right along with the meter and click the mouse at the appropriate distance before the Ding!.

Not counting putts, I would guess my Ding! % at about 60%. I most often click the mouse a bit to early when I move my head corectly but still miss the Ding!, and most often miss the Ding! late when I don't move my head or don't move it enough.

When putting I often compensate for the break by purposely missing the Ding! early or late.

For putting I also use a Putter Pal like display (VGG Caddy) so I can use just a short portion of the meter (not often more than 20%). When I do want to Ding! a putt I likely nail the Ding! 80% of the time, and am very close to the Ding! the remaining 20%.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 12:31 PM

An old one but hey!....

• dcwel
    7 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 1:35 PM

It is very reassuring to know that my difficulty with consistency on the ding is not due to my age (75). I see all the various tips that many are using and will just continue to work it out ... as with real golf!

P.S. As I write this it has just occurred to me that my Pro Tour avg of 71.68  means that I am 'shooting' much lower than my age .. so ill take it.  Ding!!

dcwel

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 1:39 PM

The ding doesn't matter on drives, just get close to it...

On approaches I bring the cursor straight up to power up, release and watch it for about an inch, then look away briefly, then pick it up again and try to keep it from hitting the ding as close as I can early side of line(note it really only matters in a direct head on wind or 0 wind)...that way I react instead of thinking about it.

when ALL my clubs had same meter speed and I was using the ding method I hit it 85-90% of the time...now I usually only hit it on drives when I'm not even trying...in fact I aim to miss the ding slightly into the wind side of it...

On putts, I too shorten up the meter as others said, but if you watch it just after it enters the hitting zone and approaches the ding it speeds up noticeably...if you hit it as SOON as it starts to speed up it is a perfect ding every time....any pushes or pulls are on me...I've played rounds where I dinged every single putt...missed most of them but dinged 'em...

• TsunamiDan
    30 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2018 10:11 AM

Funny you mentioned "drummers".

I've been playing drums for many years and finally found out that a simple beat in my head (also bouncing my foot on the 'kick" pedal following the same beat. 

I will click to the beat but as it approaches the ding, I click 1/16 of a beat early... resulting in reaction time hitting directly on beat of the ding. 

While this doesn't hit every ding... I am no longer hitting shots too far from ding, resulting in a very accurate shot.

Hope this helps.

TD

• Nesta1945
    235 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2018 2:35 PM

Sometimes I let the meter complete the cycle and hit on the second pass.  If you let it go 3 times it will put up a white line that says, "Hit here"

RSS