Forums

Help › Forums

How do you hit the ding consistently?

Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM (54 replies)
  • bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:32 AM

I hit the ding probably 50% on a bad day and 70% on a good day. Most of my clubs have a speed from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. I ding them equally well. My putter has a slow meter. I have trouble dinging it.

My meter varies from really smooth to a little clumpy, but doesn't fail. I use Chrome, pepper flash turned off, no extraneous processes running.

I don't line my mouse up with the ding line. Once I release the meter, I just concentrate on a point slightly in advance of the ding line and try to click when it gets there.

I don't hit off-ding on purpose for either wind or break. Hitting the ding does not appear to ruin my shot. I do hit way off ding for draws and fades, which I use rarely. It costs about 20 yards to do that, but is sometimes worth it, as opposed to hitting through a dogleg (or short).

I suspect the method will vary considerably, depending on the individual reflexes and so forth. I'm 72 and sometimes I'm less polished and more spastic than at other times. One scotch on a bad day may help. Three scotches never helps.

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:42 AM

I use a similar approach as you and several other posters here.  There's a sixth sense about clicking near a ding-line and cursor that are essentially together... a built-in timing used in desktop environments and other skill/arcade games over the years. 

So during the initial part of the swing I bring the cursor to just above the ding line (anywhere else feels strange).  I then have enough time to return my gaze to the swing meter which has progressed about half way (trying to get a rough idea when it arrives).  Then I stare at the ding line an let my peripheral vision view the rest of the approaching swing.  From there it's a timing/feel thing for the last and fastest approach to the ding line.  I must click before the meter reaches the ding line, trying to get a rhythm and anticipate when it gets there.

Visually waiting to see the meter arrive at the ding-line and starting the click is always too late for me.  Following the swing all the way with my eyes is also disorienting.  And I tend to click too early when I tense up at a great score towards the end of an 18 hole stroke game or great CTTH run.   My ding rate is nothing special, 50% or maybe a little better, another 30-40% of 1-3(?) pixel misses (which for longer shots can easily give poor results), and say 10% or so of bad misses that can range from okay shots "boy I got away with that one" to OOB's and visits with the fishies.

No question that slow meter balls like the Max pro helps me and is an expensive habit.  But oh the fun.  And also I try to stick with slower meter clubs and as suggested match their speeds as close as I can.

-Keith

• 719mike
    209 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 11:28 AM

I cover the ding line with a yellow sticky paper , about 1/8 " to the left of it . Works good when I'm sober ; all bets are off when drunk tho ...

BTW ,some of my best shots have occurred when I missed the ding !

• esty26
    425 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 12:38 PM

I joined in November and after playing a while posed relatively the same question to the forum as I had no idea what was considered normal. After posting I decided to track my next game and here are my results using at the time Level 35? Raptures and the 35/36? Ghost Spider putter and probably a standard wgt ball at the time with 0 feel.

18 Drives - 5 dings

14 Fairway shots - 4 dings

18 putts  - 11 dings

I know I didn't shoot a 50 so I'm presuming I didn't count the tap in putts or shots I intentionally tried to miss the ding or possibly the wedges which had a much faster meter than the raptures.

That works out to hitting the ding 40% of the time with slow meter clubs. Am now using the G20's so I'm sure my percentage has gone down.

Esty

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 1:18 PM

I would hardly describe myself as a dinging machine but I think I'm not too bad at it and when I miss it's usually by a pretty small amount.  I still get the odd absolute howler of course, I doube there are many who don't.

Anyway, what I do is drag the power to where I want it then move the cursor to sit directly over the ding line.  Please don't ask if this helps, probably not but it's become a habit.  I watch the meter move towards the ding line and click a fraction before it gets there.  I know there's going to be a minute (as in tiny, not 60 seconds.  I'm not that slow yet) delay between moving my finger and the click registering, it's sort of become second nature, I don't actively think about it any more.

And if the meter gives a jump on it's way down I take my hand completely off the mouse, it's alll too easy to take a panic stab at the button when you see that happen.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 4:19 PM

I think there are some good ideas here. People adapt to what they, personally, can do. The key, of course, is repetitivity. Cool in the face of frustration is important because frustration will be thrust upon you.

• JBaldoni
    892 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:59 PM

In my opinion, it's simply lots and lots of practice. That really helps hit the ding. Of course, if the swing speed of your driver, irons, wedges and putter are closely matched, that helps an enormous amount.  However, I still use a beginner's putter because it gives me very accurate distance, but leaves a lot to be desired with direction...but....it's very easy to hit the ding!  One hint which may be a bit useful in consistent hits and very near misses of the ding......once you've selected your clubs, choose a ball and then stick with it so your swing speed stays constant. It's the changes in swing speed that make the game difficult.  Lots of luck!

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:01 PM

How do i hit the ding? Well i use a swing oil that works well used in the proper mixture. Overdo it though and the engine blows and smoke will bellow out of your ears like mine at times :)))!     Rock 

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:06 PM

697 Posts
    ^^^^ ...DITTO 
    loved watch'n priest's vids.... 
    ROCK ON..!   no ding needed... :) 

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 3:11 AM

I found it helps me to be very aware of my breathing. I drag the powerbar while breathing in. Release and click while breathing out.

R.

RSS